2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 21 is making extremely high level of noise that my 18 never made. It’s is consistent and random at the same time. It’s not every time but most of the time. And like others is so loud that you can’t help but think something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
MIne does the same. Mine sounds like a freaking power transformer buzzing. really loud and annoying. It turns a lot of heads in public parking lots. I think my A/C compressor will have to be replaced sometime soon. My 2018 was silent except for the front fan running. As long as it is blowing cold air I am not taking mine in. It is new and under warranty. If it needs to be replaced I would rather replace it closer to the 3/36 and let it wear rather than replace it now and have the new one wear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My A/C compressor on my 21 PacHy also makes a loud buzzing noise during periods of high demand.
The level of noise is directly proportional to how hard the A/C system is working to cool the vehicle. When the system is under light load and the car is already cool inside, the noise is almost imperceptible.
When the system is cooling a hot vehicle interior on a hot day, the buzzing noise ramps up till it is pretty loud.
However, my mechanical intuition tells me this is perfectly normal operation for this compressor. I am not worried about it. It cools the vehicle inside quite rapidly on hot days, and appears to be working perfectly normally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My A/C compressor on my 21 PacHy also makes a loud buzzing noise during periods of high demand.
The level of noise is directly proportional to how hard the A/C system is working to cool the vehicle. When the system is under light load and the car is already cool inside, the noise is almost imperceptible.
When the system is cooling a hot vehicle interior on a hot day, the buzzing noise ramps up till it is pretty loud.
However, my mechanical intuition tells me this is perfectly normal operation for this compressor. I am not worried about it. It cools the vehicle inside quite rapidly on hot days, and appears to be working perfectly normally.
I concur.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I concur.
I've had my Pacifica PHEV since they were introduced. In the past few weeks it has developed the same humming/buzzing sound which also seems to be associated with the A/C. It did not make this sound for the past many years I have owned it. The AC would get louder when working harder, but not like this. It sounds like it's laboring. Worse, it's blowing cool air, not cold air. Hopefully, it can be repaired quickly because I need to shuttle kids to and from camp and road trips in the summer without AC are no fun!
After reading this thread, I see several possible solutions. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should start? Obviously, I'd like to find an answer sooner rather than later.
Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@MLD

When you say since they were introduced, does that mean you have a 2017 PacHy?

If your system is not putting out cold air and the compressor is super abnormally loud compared to anything you've heard before, you may want to get it checked out. You may want to see if you have a leak, and the refrigerant is escaping.
This can be caused by leaking seals, or by something like a small rock hitting your condensor and causing a leak.
Only an experienced tech can tell you what's wrong with your A/C, and find/repair any leaks or problems with your compressor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@MLD

When you say since they were introduced, does that mean you have a 2017 PacHy?

If your system is not putting out cold air and the compressor is super abnormally loud compared to anything you've heard before, you may want to get it checked out. You may want to see if you have a leak, and the refrigerant is escaping.
This can be caused by leaking seals, or by something like a small rock hitting your condensor and causing a leak.
Only an experienced tech can tell you what's wrong with your A/C, and find/repair any leaks or problems with your compressor.
yes - 2017 PHEV Pacifica

·
Registered
187 Posts
yes - 2017 PHEV Pacifica
Yup, you'll have to take it into the shop and get it diagnosed if it's just blowing cool air and the compressor is super loud. If you didn't get an extended warranty, it's definitely out of warranty. You will have to pay for even the diagnosis.
In my experience, as a vehicle gets older, A/C is one of the things that most commonly goes out for one reason or another.

Unfortunately, A/C repairs (for any vehicle) are not known for being the cheapest. Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our 2021 Pachy purchased in May (December '20 build) also has a rather loud buzzing noise when the A/C has to work extra hard to cool the van on a hot day. Sounds exactly like others are describing.

In the morning, taking driving the van out of the garage it doesn't make the loud noise, but parking the van outside for hours in 85+ degree weather, in the sun, starting it from that condition it runs rather loud.

The A/C is cold and cools the vehicle well. I'm due to take the van in to have an update applied for the rear hatch closing issue (had an appointment scheduled, but had to cancel it) but will also bring up about the A/C compressor noise and see what the dealership days. Will not be able to schedule for a few weeks. Since it will be August, the weather should be plenty hot to replicate the noise. I'll have to make sure to choose an afternoon appointment time.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts