2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - First post. My family and I have decided to purchase a pop-up camper. I did a bit of research and discovered that our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring FWD (without factory tow package) is only rated by Chrysler to tow 1500 lbs without the OEM tow package.

I've seen anecdotal evidence (including posts on these forums) that this is extremely conservative as other posters are towing up to the 3500 lbs max with an aftermarket package.

Regardless, I'm airing on the side of caution and going with a 2017 Livin' Lite Quicksilver 10.0 pop up, which has a dry weight of 1190 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 135 lbs, which, from what I've gathered, my Pacifica should pull with ease. With some additional camping stuff (mini-fridge, supplies, etc) stored inside, I imagine it would have a real world weight of about 1450 lbs or so (GVWR for this trailer is 1,696 lbs).

A few questions regarding a/m tow package for those of you with knowledge.

The Livin' Lite youtube vid simply says to have a 2" ball and a 4-pin connector.

I'm going to have U-Haul install the tow package. There are only a couple of options, the default being a Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" (rated for max weight of 4500 lbs, and max distribution weight of 5000 lbs). The tongue capacity of the ball mount is 750 lbs.

Seems like I could pull the trailer I'm getting with a Class II but that's not even an option through U-Haul. Total installed price for the hitch, ball mount, ball, pin/clip and wiring is $400, which is fine. I'm not a huge DYI guy and I need it done quickly.

Questions:

1. Am I good to go with the above standard U-haul install?

2. Do I need to worry about:

A. Weight distribution hitch / load levelling hitch?
B. Anti-sway (or sway control) bars ?
C. Trailer brake?

Also, with A,B,C above, are these something I can worry about/address after I've towed the trailer for a while to see how my Pacifica does (sway, sag, brake fluid temps, etc)?

Seems like a lot of A, B, C has to do with much heavier loads and I may be overthinking it, but want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Sorry for long post, and thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi - First post. My family and I have decided to purchase a pop-up camper. I did a bit of research and discovered that our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring FWD (without factory tow package) is only rated by Chrysler to tow 1500 lbs without the OEM tow package.

I've seen anecdotal evidence (including posts on these forums) that this is extremely conservative as other posters are towing up to the 3500 lbs max with an aftermarket package.

Regardless, I'm airing on the side of caution and going with a 2017 Livin' Lite Quicksilver 10.0 pop up, which has a dry weight of 1190 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 135 lbs, which, from what I've gathered, my Pacifica should pull with ease. With some additional camping stuff (mini-fridge, supplies, etc) stored inside, I imagine it would have a real world weight of about 1450 lbs or so (GVWR for this trailer is 1,696 lbs).

A few questions regarding a/m tow package for those of you with knowledge.

The Livin' Lite youtube vid simply says to have a 2" ball and a 4-pin connector.

I'm going to have U-Haul install the tow package. There are only a couple of options, the default being a Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" (rated for max weight of 4500 lbs, and max distribution weight of 5000 lbs). The tongue capacity of the ball mount is 750 lbs.

Seems like I could pull the trailer I'm getting with a Class II but that's not even an option through U-Haul. Total installed price for the hitch, ball mount, ball, pin/clip and wiring is $400, which is fine. I'm not a huge DYI guy and I need it done quickly.

Questions:

1. Am I good to go with the above standard U-haul install?

2. Do I need to worry about:

A. Weight distribution hitch / load levelling hitch?
B. Anti-sway (or sway control) bars ?
C. Trailer brake?

Also, with A,B,C above, are these something I can worry about/address after I've towed the trailer for a while to see how my Pacifica does (sway, sag, etc).

Seems like a lot of A, B, C has to do with much heavier loads and I may be overthinking it, but want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Sorry for long post, and thanks in advance for any feedback.
I have done a lot of towing over the years and in the early 90s I commercially transported exotic animals nationwide and into Canada.

1. Am I good to go with the above standard U-haul install? Yes

2. Do I need to worry about: As long as you stay within factory specs, no.

A. Weight distribution hitch / load levelling hitch? No
B. Anti-sway (or sway control) bars ? No
C. Trailer brake? No

The only thing I would recommend is adding and auxiliary transmission cooler. Your dealer can add one or a transmission shop like AAMCO can install one quickly. It will help extend the life of your fluid and transmission. If you plan on towing a lot, you will need to get your filter changed and transmission fluid flushed more frequently.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks! I'll look into that.
I forgot to mention. When having your transmission serviced only use a Chrysler dealer. Unless the transmission/service shop has the correct Chrysler fluid. Most non-dealer transmission shops use universal synthetic transmission fluid. They say its good and covers all fluids. DON'T DO IT. This is can screw up your transmission and void any warranty you may have. I have seen some shops make you sign a waiver stating that after the service if the vehicle does not move they are not responsible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You do not need a transmission cooler. I tow ~2800 lbs with over 5k miles towing and have never had any transmission temp issues. The Penstar V6 has a build in oil cooler and will not need any additional cooling with your trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts