2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I saw CR website published a new recall for Pacifica yesterday.

“Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Is Recalled for a Rollaway Issue
A faulty part makes it too easy to disengage a safety feature”
Here is the link
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/chrysler-pacifica-minivan-recalled-for-rollaway-issue/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I couldn't get the link above to work I've copied some information from the article that I went to using the regular internet search engine.

"Vehicles recalled: Chrysler Pacifica minivans built between June 15, 2016 and April 6, 2018.

The problem: Dashboard trim that covers the vehicle’s Manual Park Release is too easy to remove without a screwdriver, which increases the likelihood of accidentally shifting from Park into Neutral.

The fix: Chrysler will, free of charge, install a new piece of trim that can only be removed with a screwdriver.

How to contact the manufacturer: Owners can call Chrysler at 800-853-1403. The recall is expected to begin Aug. 3, 2018, according to NHTSA."

·
Registered
917 Posts
Since I couldn't get the link above to work I've copied some information from the article that I went to using the regular internet search engine.

"Vehicles recalled: Chrysler Pacifica minivans built between June 15, 2016 and April 6, 2018.

The problem: Dashboard trim that covers the vehicle’s Manual Park Release is too easy to remove without a screwdriver, which increases the likelihood of accidentally shifting from Park into Neutral.

The fix: Chrysler will, free of charge, install a new piece of trim that can only be removed with a screwdriver.

How to contact the manufacturer: Owners can call Chrysler at 800-853-1403. The recall is expected to begin Aug. 3, 2018, according to NHTSA."
I don't understand the problem.......

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I don't understand the problem.......
"The trim is attached to a red tether strap that, when pulled, manually shifts the Pacifica from Park into Neutral. It’s located to the left of the steering column, and it’s designed so that the minivan can be moved even when its rotary shift knob won’t move out of Park—for instance, when the battery is dead."

I guess the concern is that someone could accidentally put the van in neutral.

·
Registered
917 Posts
"The trim is attached to a red tether strap that, when pulled, manually shifts the Pacifica from Park into Neutral. It’s located to the left of the steering column, and it’s designed so that the minivan can be moved even when its rotary shift knob won’t move out of Park—for instance, when the battery is dead."

I guess the concern is that someone could accidentally put the van in neutral.
.....by yanking off the panel ? :confused:
Has ANYBODY had this happen? I guess if you were working on your Pacifica and it was on an incline and you remove the panel and pull the 'tether', it could roll. Not really much of a chance of it happening unless you purposely remove the panel(?). If it is held on with a screw, you could still have the problem by removing the panel and not being aware of the function of the tether...We need a BIG sticker saying: 'Danger of van rolling away if you remove this panel'. I wonder if any other manufacturers have a similar design.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
.....by yanking off the panel ? :confused:
Has ANYBODY had this happen? I guess if you were working on your Pacifica and it was on an incline and you remove the panel and pull the 'tether', it could roll. Not really much of a chance of it happening unless you purposely remove the panel(?). If it is held on with a screw, you could still have the problem by removing the panel and not being aware of the function of the tether...We need a BIG sticker saying: 'Danger of van rolling away if you remove this panel'. I wonder if any other manufacturers have a similar design.
I checked the little square trim panel piece (about 1 inch square) in my van and it will come out of place using a fingernail, so it is probably considered too loose. If a child or someone who didn't realize what the red tether was for and pulled on it, the van could be put into neutral and possibly roll. I think that the design was that the trim piece should be tight enough that a screwdriver would be needed to pry it out of position.

On a separate issue, my question is whether pulling the tether would shift the transmission from drive (with the brake applied) to neutral since there have been a few times when the gear dial seemed stuck at drive after parking and I wondered what I was supposed to do if it didn't turn to the left after a couple of minutes. At least now there might be an option. Of course, once the trim piece is replaced under the recall, I will need to keep a screwdriver in the front drawer to access the tether if needed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Snowflakes at CR think Chrysler owners are stupid.
No, they think minivan owners often have children who like to pry at things and might set the van rolling.

By the way, the hybrids don't have the emergency park release. The little plastic thingy is there but it isn't attached to anything.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Of course, once the trim piece is replaced under the recall, I will need to keep a screwdriver in the front drawer to access the tether if needed.
Oh Heavens!! DON;T do that!! In an accident, screwdrivers in the front drawer can become flying lethal weapons, or maybe put Ralphie Parker's eye out!! If CR finds out about this they will demand that a special "certified screwdriver safety holding container" be installed immediately. :surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise:

Corollary question for the bulb experts: which LED is the best one to replace the bulb in a leg lamp?:wink2:

·
Registered
770 Posts
In country where sixteen lawyers will compete to help you sue anyone over anything, companies have no choice but to solve any exposed issue. I sometimes think that the real surprise is that the car companies are willing to keep making cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
I checked the little square trim panel piece (about 1 inch square) in my van and it will come out of place using a fingernail, so it is probably considered too loose. If a child or someone who didn't realize what the red tether was for and pulled on it, the van could be put into neutral and possibly roll. I think that the design was that the trim piece should be tight enough that a screwdriver would be needed to pry it out of position.

On a separate issue, my question is whether pulling the tether would shift the transmission from drive (with the brake applied) to neutral since there have been a few times when the gear dial seemed stuck at drive after parking and I wondered what I was supposed to do if it didn't turn to the left after a couple of minutes. At least now there might be an option. Of course, once the trim piece is replaced under the recall, I will need to keep a screwdriver in the front drawer to access the tether if needed.
Do you have a picture of the panel? From the first description, I thought you were talking about the big panel that would be near your left knee while driving. That panel would take quite a force to pull it lose.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Snowflakes at CR think Chrysler owners are stupid.
No - they know kids are smart and will pick and pull at anything, especially if left to play in the driver's seat with (one would hope) the vehicle stopped. Did you see the video of a 2 year old scaling a pool ladder in that was in the "safe" position? Watch: Child scales 'un-climbable' pool ladder in viral video | Boston Herald

No such thing as childproof -- only alert adults.

Reminds me of one of my tag lines I use on technical threads (especially help desk stories):
"Make something idiotproof and someone will invent a better idiot"
(for proof, look up the thread on this website where someone figured out [and basically boasted about it] how to open the sliding door with power while moving to save a few seconds on the school dropoff line.......)

·
Registered
770 Posts
And to prevent the protests from the grown ups who (rightly) want to make their own choices -- obviously this problem does not apply under normal circumstances. I would hope (except see above example) that the typical driver would not randomly pull on a red tether to see what happens......

·
Registered
770 Posts
Wow. I gotta say, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V395-8475.pdf
And now that I look at the NHTSA link, not requiring a tool to access the tether is a regulation violation (I remember the shifter access on the T & C required a screwdriver to pop off the slot)

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (“FMVSS”) 571.114 requires that if a gear selection control override option (MPR) is present, the device can only be removed (accessed) by using a screwdriver or other tool. For vehicles in the recall population, access to the MPR may be possible without the use of a screwdriver or other tool.​

It looks like FCA caught the problem in March and implemented the redesigned cover in early April -- so it was discovered several months ago.

Whether that is child safety is a good question -- it comes up under theft protection, which, to quote TomB985, is ridiculous. The least competent thief would have a screwdriver...... so I'll stick with the real world problem of child safety (or one of Terrry Pratchett's Discworld wizards.....)

·
Registered
176 Posts
what if you need to use this feature and your not at home?? who the crap keeps a screwdriver in their car at all times?? this is what i call "the pussification of America"

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
They should make the cover removable by a special tool then include it next to or near the cover. Much like they do for sunroof emergency cranks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The recall date of manufacture starts with June 15th 2016. Well my Pacifica was manufactured in May of 2016. I guess I'm okay. I checked my Pacifica and was able to access the tether with my finger nail. Don't know why the recall does not cover vans made prior to June 15th, 2016 unless that is when the regulation went into effect.

In looking at the access cover, I think the only problem is the slot used to pry out the cover is too large. I expect the replacement will simply have a smaller slot like I've seen on other vehicles. You can't get your finger nail into the smaller slot. A small blade screw driver or a something small and thin such as a paperclip is needed.

I doubt that a child would accidently access the tether. More likely an adult poking around his new van. "Lookee here. I wonder what this little cover is for. Well it just pops right off. Looks like its attached to some kind of strap. I wonder what it does. I'll just give it a tug. Oh shi……..!"

By the way, even if the recall applied to me, I would not have it done. I like the way the cover is now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
16 Participants
Jimal
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing