2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2017 Limited w/ESS wouldn't start the other day and showed the symptoms of a low battery...electronics acted funny when trying to start, clicking, power doors would not operate, etc. I looked at the battery and saw it was a Chrysler battery and had "2015" on one of the labels, so I figured it was the original battery. Since the van was originally from Georgia, where it can be pretty hot, I figured the battery was fortunate to have lasted this long, and was due for replacement.

First I went to Autozone, but when the guy looked my battery up, he said they didn't have it, which seemed to surprise him. Then I went to Advance Auto, and he looked my battery up and sold me an "H7" size AutoCraft Gold 94RH7 Lead-Acid battery. When I got home and took the battery out, I saw that the new battery was about an inch wider. Due to the auxiliary ESS battery taking up space in the tray, the new battery was physically too big. I tried to look up the battery type in the owner manual, but it did not have it. While I had the battery out, though, I saw that "H6" was molded into the battery tray.

Advance Auto had already closed at this point, so I went to Walmart and looked up my vehicle using the self-service computer at the battery rack. It also specified and H7 battery. Knowing that a lot of 2017's didn't have ESS, I looked up a 2018, and saw that it called for an H6 battery.

The only H6 batteries Walmart had were standard Lead-Acid, and I had never even heard of AGM batteries, so I didn't think anything of it. I got the battery home and it installed fine and my wife has been driving her van trouble free for the last couple days. But today I got on here and started reading about batteries, and figured out that it was supposed to have an AGM battery. And sure enough, when I went and looked at my old battery (which is still in the garage) it says AGM on it.

So my question is, am I okay keeping the Lead-Acid battery, or do I need to put an AGM battery in?

BTW, when I took the H7 battery back to Advance Auto the next day, they could not find anything in their system calling for a H6 battery for a 2017 Pacifica, even when they entered my van's VIN.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
What is AGM battery?

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
It should work fine, but might not last as long as an AGM, especially if you are using your ESS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
AGM, or "Absorbent Glass Mat" just means the thing is filled with fiberglass mat wrapped around the (plates? electrodes?) inside the battery, which soak up all the acid electrolyte. I don't know the details, but for some reason this apparently makes the battery longer-lived. I think perhaps they're more resistant to vibration.
It still takes/makes the same voltage as the old lead-acid batteries, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do think you are ok with the battery you have. But for the sake of anyone reading this in the future or for another vehicle, I believe you are ok in switching to a lead acid because the Pacifica battery is outside the cabin, in the engine compartment. I think the AGM batteries are also sealed, and do not "vent." So if a vehicle has a battery that is in the trunk or in the passenger cabin(like the grand cherokees) you need to be a little more particular about what your replacement battery is.

-trat

·
Registered
2017 Touring L Plus Build date 5/16
20 Posts
I purchased a used 2017 Touring L Plus (w/o ESS) w/64 k on it last spring. It is on its second non AGM battery that is @ 18/20 months old. Over the past few months it quite unexpectedly is dead. A quick jump and drive and all is good ... until he next time. There’s been lots of testing and tweaks but nothing long term. The cause can be anything from a call over Uconnect while parked, or 4 days of non use or just having the sliding doors and back lid open for half an hour. I have followed all previous advice from various forum posts as well as with tech support from the dealership where I purchased it used.

Happily I purchased a Lith Ion battery charger that has saved me multiple times over the past many months - ok, I’m an inventor problem solver at heart so an immediate trade out just wasn’t in the books.

I went back to Auto Zone where the battery was purchased for a replacement under warranty and since I don’t have the receipt or phone number of the previous owner for them to verify, I’m SOL..

Any wisdom on a good replacement battery up for the challenge of the TL + or AGM would be much appreciated as it seems the better option to support all the bells and whistles on this beauty..

·
Registered
2017 Touring L Plus Build date 5/16
20 Posts
I purchased a used 2017 Touring L Plus (w/o ESS) w/64 k on it last spring. It is on its second non AGM battery that is @ 18/20 months old. Over the past few months it quite unexpectedly is dead. A quick jump and drive and all is good ... until he next time. There’s been lots of testing and tweaks but nothing long term. The cause can be anything from a call over Uconnect while parked, or 4 days of non use or just having the sliding doors and back lid open for half an hour. I have followed all previous advice from various forum posts as well as with tech support from the dealership where I purchased it used.

Happily I purchased a Lith Ion battery charger that has saved me multiple times over the past many months - ok, I’m an inventor problem solver at heart so an immediate trade out just wasn’t in the books.

I went back to Auto Zone where the battery was purchased for a replacement under warranty and since I don’t have the receipt or phone number of the previous owner for them to verify, I’m SOL..

Any wisdom on a good replacement battery up for the challenge of the TL + or AGM would be much appreciated as it seems the better option to support all the bells and whistles on this beauty..
Happily, Auto Zone gave me credit and I did pay extra for an AGM H7. Fingers crossed that this is the end of this saga.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts