2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

What is your experience with the Active Park Assist feature on your Chrysler Pacifica?

• Use it & love it!

• I would love to use it, but am scared.

• Never used it & have no interest in doing so

• Do I have it?

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Active Park Assist is a feature available on select Chrysler Pacificas that helps with parallel and perpendicular parking. (As shown here) We would love to know your thoughts on this feature!

·
Registered
285 Posts
My vote doesn't correspond to any of the choices.

I've used it twice and, when it was a feasible option, I found it worked great at getting me into a space I otherwise would've struggled with. The issue is that in a metropolitan area, I rarely find myself with enough time to let the system do its thing. It involves crawling forward slowly enough that I can "catch" the space that the system recognizes, which is often not possible without annoying a host of drivers behind me. Also, space recognition is suboptimal: almost backed me into the shopping cart return area in a grocery store parking lot once, as it identified that instead of the open parking space next to it. If I lived in a lower population density area, I would have time to use it. But then again, in that environment, I probably wouldn't be faced with spaces tight enough to warrant the use of the feature.

Also, no automated nose-in parking is a HUGE oversight. When I go to the grocery store, I want to park nose-in so that when I come back with my groceries I can put them in the trunk. Rear-in parking only in perpendicular lots means that my rear end is inaccessible with a shopping cart.

All in all, have parked roughly 100 times since buying the vehicle; have used the feature twice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also, no automated nose-in parking is a HUGE oversight. When I go to the grocery store, I want to park nose-in so that when I come back with my groceries I can put them in the trunk. Rear-in parking only in perpendicular lots means that my rear end is inaccessible with a shopping cart.
I guess the idea is that people typically don't need assistance to park nose-in, while people struggle with backing in and with parallel parking?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My response is similar to @pleckerling. When we got our Pacifica, I tried it a couple of times, and have shown it off to some friends, but I never use it in real life. I don' need it as parking has never that difficult for me. Far more useful is the 360 view parking cameras on my Limited.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Need another choice TRIED IT A FEW TIMES AND FOUND IT TO BE MOSTLY USELESS.

I agree with Waldo (who could disagree with a fellow Illinois guy) that the self parking is cute and have tried it several times but it takes too long to lock into the appropriate spot and then execute. If there is a lot of traffic, using it annoys everyone around me. Backing into a perpendicular spot most of the time is pointless. It makes the hatch inaccessible.

I have used it to impress my grand kids and a few friends but aside from that, I would rather just do it myself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Far more useful is the 360 view parking cameras on my Limited.
Agreed. I use that regularly to nose into spaces. I’m coming from a much smaller vehicle (RAV4), so I’m still nervous about my ability to nose into a space without clipping the car on the passenger side of the space. Will get more confident with practice, I’m sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Active Park Assist is a feature available on select Chrysler Pacificas that helps with parallel and perpendicular parking. (As shown here) We would love to know your thoughts on this feature!
to
I am glad I have it... I have not focused on using it yet. I do like using the 360 camera for assistance in nose in parking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to park in a disabled spot with extra space on the driver's side for a wheelchair lift. I do have to back in sometimes to do this, but my understanding is that I can't use the park assist because it uses the cars on either side to park and not the lines and I don't want to be evenly spaced between cars. If this is wrong, I'd love to hear it, I HATE backing in to parking spots (although the camera does make it actually possible)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ag
Need another choice TRIED IT A FEW TIMES AND FOUND IT TO BE MOSTLY USELESS.

I agree with Waldo (who could disagree with a fellow Illinois guy) that the self parking is cute and have tried it several times but it takes too long to lock into the appropriate spot and then execute. If there is a lot of traffic, using it annoys everyone around me. Backing into a perpendicular spot most of the time is pointless. It makes the hatch inaccessible.

I have used it to impress my grand kids and a few friends but aside from that, I would rather just do it myself.
Agreed. I have tried it a couple of times but it’s slow to recognize a space and we just get the drivers behind me upset. So I don’t use it and I can park myself without a problem in less time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The handiest parking feature of the van is its tight turn radius.
This plus the 360 camera make it really easy to back in. I've used the perpendicular parking a few times and it always has to stop about halfway through backing in and pull forward to correct the angle. Using the camera, I rarely have this situation.

The parallel parking works better, but again, I find the cameras so helpful, I rarely use it (I also rarely have to parallel park).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Came on the van. Mostly a waste of $$ in my opinion. If you can’t park it, you shouldn’t be driving it.
Hey Doug Lynch,

We certainly appreciate your feedback! We will be sure to share this with our Brand team. Please feel free to reach out to us privately should you have any vehicle questions in the future.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hey Doug Lynch,

We certainly appreciate your feedback! We will be sure to share this with our Brand team. Please feel free to reach out to us privately should you have any vehicle questions in the future.

Alex
Chrysler Cares
I'm not privy to the added cost of the feature, but FCA needs to consider that it is available on many "luxury" vehicles, so it would be wise to keep it where appropriate. Also, as @Chairdriver mentioned, it would help if the camera system could be programmed to park properly in handicapped spaces, and not straddle the yellow cross-hatched areas.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to
I am glad I have it... I have not focused on using it yet. I do like using the 360 camera for assistance in nose in parking.
Hi glanderson21,

Thank you for providing feedback! We will be sure to share this with our teams! Please feel free to contact us for any vehicle questions you may have in the future! 😊

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use it frequently. Sometimes, cars pull up behind me and refuse to go around, preventing me from backing into available spaces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used it and it works pretty well, though it is slow, but I believe that's to be expected. I wish it was a bit more autonomous, similar to Ford's version where you just hold down the park button and the vehicle does gear shifts, gas, and brake for you on top of steering; or something like Hyundai's new Smart Park where you can leave the vehicle while it parks itself. Granted, I'm a technology-centric person so I'm sure my view on this is probably not shared by all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts