2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

What is your experience with the Active Park Assist feature on your Chrysler Pacifica?

• Use it & love it!

• I would love to use it, but am scared.

• Never used it & have no interest in doing so

• Do I have it?

Results are only viewable after voting.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dont use it often because of the issues people mentioned above. People pull up behind me and get mad when I stop and slowly back into a spot. One question; In the description it says "with stop" It doesn't stop for me, at least I'm not daring enough to not brake when it says brake and the rear sense is beeping. Is this normal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haven't used it yet, but what my wife would find infinitely more useful is some assistant to park in (and back out of) our own garage. There is a Pacifica-shaped hole in the accumulated clutter in our garage. Maybe 10" clearance all around, with some door sweep area. As it's irregular piles of clutter, the top-view camera doesn't make it very clear what's crap and what's garage floor. And all that stuff (and some shrubbery outside the garage) is so close to the car that it makes all sorts of warning noises even though I've got several inches of clearance. I know it's not an ideal scenario and an easily solvable problem (clean the garage!) but that van goes in and out of that garage 2-3 times a day most days. I can't even think of the last time I've parallel parked a car here in suburbia.

Assuming the garage clutter didn't change much, I'd love to park it perfectly then set that position and have it pull into that exact spot with the click of a button. Bonus points if it opens the garage door right before and closes it right after. (heated garage) Same with backing out. Click a button - garage opens, van starts, reverses, then the garage door closes.

If this can't be done, and beamed out remotely to our 2020, I'll have to resort to a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tried it. Not great. Very slow to respond. Doesnt find the spot easily. I would love to use it if it could be activated fast enough and founds spots easily without having to drive past a few times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have it, have never learned how to use it, and have never wished I knew how to use it. Pulling in or backing in using the cameras works great for me and I rarely parallel park. On a related subject, the Park Sense rear braking has saved my butt a few times.

·
Registered
301 Posts
On a related subject, the Park Sense rear braking has saved my butt a few times.
Seconded. The extra 25 inches on this vehicle from my last is taking some time to get used to!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your survey is in danger of collecting misleading data because it is missing an option: used it - DON'T love it. I hope the survey wasn't designed that way on purpose.
When I first tried it, I was very curious to see how it worked. Good thing too, because it tried to back into a light standard. The dealer said it was miscalibrated and fixed it. I've tested it twice since then and it seems to work now, although very slowly and sometimes it seems to need a bigger spot than I do, but I just can't trust it and it seems so easy using the 360 camera, so why bother. My wife was looking forward to trying the feature, but the miscalibration has her too scared to even try anymore.
That said, everyone is different in terms of spatial perception, so it makes sense to offer it to people who don't find parking easy. I don't think anyone who can back up a trailer is the target audience, tightly parking a minivan is child's play by comparison. (I do wish I didn't have to spend the $ on all the "safety" features I never use, just to get the awesome sunroof, with the way the options are here in Canada. But I know it's based on market research, which is what companies have to do to stay competitive, so I accept it.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like many here, I have used it some, but infrequently. My main issue is that it is not good at finding spots. If you could develop an interface where I could tell it where to park and it would park me, I think that would be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have used the feature a total of... maybe... 6-8 times within the first few months of ownership, and each of those times was for my own curiosity and experimentation... or to demonstrate it to curious passengers.

As mentioned prior, having the backup camera, front camera and/or the bird's-eye view negate the need for it if you're an experienced driver who is comfortable with large vehicles to have such a feature.

Having said that... I could see how it would be EXTREMELY useful for timid drivers who are not experienced at backing-in to perpendicular spaces... or parallel parking. When I experimented with it, it worked very well... but took MUCH longer than me just parking under my own control.

In addition to the lack of need, there is one thing I noticed about perpendicular parking that—depending on how you look at it—could be either a help or a hinderance: The parking assist uses the sensors on either side of your van to accurately "center" you between the two adjacent vehicles (assuming you're parking between two cars). The problem with this is that it ignores the painted lines, and centers YOU based on how good (or bad) your neighboring vehicles parked.

In some of my experiments, it parked me accurately smack-dab between two cars... perfect equal space on both sides of the van, BUT... my tires were over the painted lines because the other drivers parked haphazardly.

So, in situations where it is more subtle, the "system" will still try to center you between the cars, and not within the allocatd parking lines - which caused me to override and CORRECTLY center myself in the space so that if/when the adjacent vehicles leave, MY car is not responsible for forcing others to park off-center.

It's a small thing - especially considering I don't use it anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Active Park Assist is a feature available on select Chrysler Pacificas that helps with parallel and perpendicular parking. (As shown here) We would love to know your thoughts on this feature!
This is a very poor survey since it does not include an option that fits many of us. That option is:

I use it occasionally because it is too slow and does not always work. I loved the feature the few times it worked correctly although it was way too slow.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I loved the feature the few times it worked correctly although it was way too slow.
First of all, I am in agreement with you.
To play devil's advocate thought, one might argue that for someone who is not good at parallel parking—taking numerous attempts and possibly damaging wheels and/or bumpers—the Park Assist technology may actually be FASTER for them. So it's kinda relative to one's proficiency.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts