2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any firsthand towing experience with the hybrid?
I know it says “don’t”and I’ve read all the opinions and “tHeY’lL CaNcEl YoUr WaRrAnTy!!!” rants from people who don’t, but does anyone actually tow a trailer with theirs?

I have a 900# popup and a 2000# boat.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engineers didn't add that for no reason.
Was it the engineers or the lawyers? I had an E class wagon that said “do not tow” in the US owner’s manual but the exact same car in the rest of the world could tow nearly its own weight. It towed my sailboat quite well.

Reactions: Jeep4XEGuy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tow and then let’s us know how it plays out I. The long run … lol ….. so many threads here on towing and people atill have to ask . All I can say is “ if you have to ask , you know it’s a no “ . Big carrier , racks , rear hitch rack,
I’m tempted. They’re offering me what I paid new for my 2020 non-hybrid on a ‘21 Hybrid. Combined with the tax rebate it’s pretty much just trading for a van with nearly the same features and better fuel mileage. My other car is a Toyota hybrid and I tow (in excess of the manual’s rating) with no problems. Like the Pacifica, I’m well under the max towing for the non-hybrid version of the car, but as best I can tell it’s because by design, the Toyota hybrid system’s reverse is electric-only and backing a heavy trailer up a hill might be more than it can manage. (Not an issue as long as I launch the boat right-end-first!)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Was it the engineers or the lawyers? I had an E class wagon that said “do not tow” in the US owner’s manual but the exact same car in the rest of the world could tow nearly its own weight. It towed my sailboat quite well.
Call Chrysler and request a hybrid engineer contact you.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
So the new jeeps 4xe and grand Cherokee 4xe can tow but remember the tranny is different than that of the Pacifica . The new zf trannys are build for hybrid usage specifically with 2 spd transfer cases if I remember correctly .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the new jeeps 4xe and grand Cherokee 4xe can tow but remember the tranny is different than that of the Pacifica . The new zf trannys are build for hybrid usage specifically with 2 spd transfer cases if I remember correctly .
I need to familiarize myself with the hybrid Pacifica’s transmission, but if it’s like Toyota’s elegant planetary gearset, I’d have no qualms towing with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Call Chrysler and request a hybrid engineer contact you.
I was amazed at the ease my stepfather got an engineer on the phone when he was asking about towing 3500# with his 94 Cherokee! They told him the 5 speed manual was the weak link.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was amazed at the ease my stepfather got an engineer on the phone when he was asking about towing 3500# with his 94 Cherokee! They told him the 5 speed manual was the weak link.
Do I need to learn Italian? Or French?

·
Registered
736 Posts
If it’s a manual transmission I’d think the clutch would probably more likely be the weak link than the transmission. Starting up from a dead stop with the extra weight being pulled would probably cause a longer period of slippage with the clutch which along with the extra heat would accelerate wear.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
358 Posts
I need to familiarize myself with the hybrid Pacifica’s transmission, but if it’s like Toyota’s elegant planetary gearset, I’d have no qualms towing with it.
This video is a great video detailing the inner works of the 2017 Pacifica hybrid transmission. It's been posted here before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it’s a manual transmission I’d think the clutch would probably more likely be the weak link than the transmission. Starting up from a dead stop with the extra weight being pulled would probably cause a longer period of slippage with the clutch which along with the extra heat would accelerate wear.
He asked about beefing up the clutch, motor mounts. U-joints, etc. They said the transmission housing wasn’t up to it. (I think it was aluminum)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This video is a great video detailing the inner works of the 2017 Pacifica hybrid transmission. It's been posted here before.
Funny you posted that, I watched it last night. I love his stuff. I’ve emailed him about my other car and he replied right away. I should ask him about the Chrysler!

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
184 Posts
Funny you posted that, I watched it last night. I love his stuff. I’ve emailed him about my other car and he replied right away. I should ask him about the Chrysler!
Please share his response here! I'm really interested to know the real reasons why we can't tow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Someone posted on another thread that they tow with their PacHy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Someone posted on another thread that they tow with their PacHy.

Thank you! That’s very helpful
The best price I’ve got from the dealer, I’d break even in fuel savings in about 2 years over my current van. (That includes the tax credits) I didn’t account the price of hitch and wiring into it yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thank you! That’s very helpful
The best price I’ve got from the dealer, I’d break even in fuel savings in about 2 years over my current van. (That includes the tax credits) I didn’t account the price of hitch and wiring into it yet.
I think it's difficult to find a dealer still willing to install a hitch on a PacHy. There were a few that did in 2018, but even those don't seem to be willing any longer. I know my local dealer did install a hitch for a fellow forum member, but when I asked them about installing one on my 2018 PacHy they refused.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
358 Posts
I don’t see a problem with installing a hitch on any vehicle. It all depends what you want it for. I see a lot of people that just want to install a bike rack or small cargo holder. I understand the PacHy is not rated for towing. But just a hitch shouldn’t void a warranty by itself. They would have to prove the damage was caused by towing to deny warranty claims.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts