2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are a few vehicles that could tow but will have a lower passenger count. The Jeep Wrangler 4XE PHEV can tow up to 3500 lbs plus payload. If more weight capability is needed then go with a Ford F150 hybrid (not a plug in).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Any forecast on how the next couple of years look, as for the development of PHEV vehicles that can tow?
Also, why can the Ford Expedition PHEV tow but not the Pachy?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,829 Posts
Any forecast on how the next couple of years look, as for the development of PHEV vehicles that can tow?
Also, why can the Ford Expedition PHEV tow but not the Pachy?
Do you have a link to information on an Expedition PHEV? All I can find is a regular hybrid being released in 2022.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
218 Posts
Thanks for everybody's input. Good discussion (and impassioned!).
I have a 2018 Pachy and love it, but not being able to tow a pop up camper with it is a serious bummer. I can't risk destroying the van.
I'm looking for a vehicle to tow a pop up to the Sierras 5-10 times per year, but want to stay with electric or plugin hybrid because the rest of the time I use it will be around town and I prefer the feel of electric cars.
Any suggestions on an electric/phev tow vehicle as big as the Pachy?
The new Toyota Sienna can carry 7 passengers and tow up to 3500 lbs (going from memory here), but it's not a plug-in. Also, the Tesla Model Y is now available with a 7-seater option, but it's much smaller than actual minivans; my 9-year-old daughter didn't even have space for her feet in the third row. I think that's basically it for the 7-seater hybrid / electric market as of now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tow and then let’s us know how it plays out I. The long run … lol ….. so many threads here on towing and people atill have to ask . All I can say is “ if you have to ask , you know it’s a no “ . Big carrier , racks , rear hitch rack,
And yet folks still answer it incorrectly. There is no warranty prohibition from using hitch based bike rack. It's clearly not excluded in the warranty. Towing would be, no debate there. And of course the ECU is certainly going to know if it was overloaded, so unless somebody actually tows with it there should be no problem. No way using a bike rack can be claim denied and get away with it. Mind you I won't be installing wiring when (if?) ours gets here. Looking further at the warranty regarding installing a non FCA accessory, if it was shown to have caused a problem (mag mo) then it could be an issue, but a hitch is a passive thing. Going to be hard to call that modification impactful, and mag mo places that burden on the warrantor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking to tow as well, it looks like the only other PHEV option is the new RAV4 prime, but I am not looking forward to trade down to a smaller vehicle and the wait is probably at least 6 month anyways.

and
makes me think tow rating is just "recommendation" with a model 3 towing 6000lb airstream.
shows towing with Rav4 hybrid beyond tow rating.

My dealer is willing to install hitch and wire harness, but they said there is 50/50 chance that they won't be able to after they try, but I am still responsible for the labour and parts which will run me about $2000 CAD.

Has anyone installed 82214522AB - Trailer Tow Wiring Harness - 2017-2019 Chrysler Pacifica | Mopar Parts Canada successfully? for some reason this is compatible with 2017 and 2019 hybrid, but 2018 is missing. I have a 2018 Pachy Limited.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any firsthand towing experience with the hybrid?
I know it says “don’t”and I’ve read all the opinions and “tHeY’lL CaNcEl YoUr WaRrAnTy!!!” rants from people who don’t, but does anyone actually tow a trailer with theirs?

I have a 900# popup and a 2000# boat.

Thank you :)
Latest tow. Just at 4400lbs. It did perfectly on steep hills through the country and even on a slick/steep launch ramp. The van didn’t struggle at all. It tows the weight confidently.
Vehicle Plant community Boat Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Latest tow. Just at 4400lbs. It did perfectly on steep hills through the country and even on a slick/steep launch ramp. The van didn’t struggle at all. It tows the weight confidently.
I've been towing my Casita fiberglass trailer with my 2018 PacHy... total weight with water in the tank and gear is probably about 3,000 lbs. Tows great, barely notice it's back there on the road.

My only issue so far has been trying to pull it up a gravel road to get out of a camping area... road was fairly steep, rutted and loose gravel. Seemed to lose power halfway up the hill and came to a stop. I ended up making it out by getting a running start to have enough speed/momentum once I hit the hill to make it up to the top.

The first few attempts, once I was stopped on the hiil, it was as if the van didn't have enough power to get going from a stop at that incline, and I had to back down to level ground before giving it another attempt. Front wheels slipped a bit.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if that was the traction control, and if I would have been able to get moving again and/or made it out without a running start had I disabled traction control.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been towing my Casita fiberglass trailer with my 2018 PacHy... total weight with water in the tank and gear is probably about 3,000 lbs. Tows great, barely notice it's back there on the road.

My only issue so far has been trying to pull it up a gravel road to get out of a camping area... road was fairly steep, rutted and loose gravel. Seemed to lose power halfway up the hill and came to a stop. I ended up making it out by getting a running start to have enough speed/momentum once I hit the hill to make it up to the top.

The first few attempts, once I was stopped on the hiil, it was as if the van didn't have enough power to get going from a stop at that incline, and I had to back down to level ground before giving it another attempt. Front wheels slipped a bit.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if that was the traction control, and if I would have been able to get moving again and/or made it out without a running start had I disabled traction control.
It sounds like it might have been traction control. I actually pulled our boat and trailer (4400lbs) up a long gravel ramp, but I do have the traction control turned off to allow some slip. On a concrete ramp, it seems to do just fine without a challenge. Maybe give it a go and see if it makes a difference. 😃

61 - 71 of 71 Posts