2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this feature in the Pacifica—let me just say that upfront.

I hate leading-off with a criticism, but just wanted to share a minor frustration w/ this particular implementation of ACC. The system does not seem to factor "closing-speed" or the rate of approaching upcoming vehicles in front of you. The system (obviously) cannot "see" that even thought the car ahead of you is not-even close enough to register in ACC... that there are brake lights ahead and almost-stopped (or very slow) traffic approaching... so the system will then "see" the car in front... and wait until you get to your distance setting (not factoring-in your rate of approach) and then it will AGGRESSIVELY BRAKE your vehicle to avoid collision instead of sensing that your rate of approach to the leading vehicle is extremely unsafe.

Ideally, I would prefer the system realize that the rate of approach to the vehicle in front is too-high and have it let-off the throttle and let the high-gear's torque slow you a little as you approach... adjusting as you go to shrink the speed differential instead of just waiting until your close-enough and THEN applying brake.

Otherwise - this is a BRILLIANT feature to have...!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree. Another potential problem with the ACC on occurs when you see a car enter your lane far ahead and apparently going slower than you but too far ahead to be detected yet by the ACC. If you hit the SET- button and hold it for awhile (to slow down faster) watch out!!! While pressing and holding the SET- button, nothing immediately happens (like it does on other cars I've driven) but a short time after releasing the button, it'll brake aggressively to get to some unknown speed that the SET- button has decreased the cruise control to (but a speed that it hasn't notified you that the cruise control is set to yet). This can be a big problem if a car is following you closely. The best thing to do in this case is to simply cancel the ACC to avoid braking too aggressively from either the SET- effect (holding the button in for a undetermined amount of time) or because the ACC has finally detected the slower-moving car and has to react quickly.

I believe this SET- problem happens with the normal CC also, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
918 Posts
I don't use ACC much but there are constant comments on other threads that braking & acceleration is too aggressive in ACC. Same complaint (leadfoot acceleration) when RESUME is pressed in regular CC.

When you use the SET- in regular CC, you can see the the set speed change on the CC indicator. I guess you really tap fast enough you can provoke a heavy brake, but I have not experienced that, or a significant time lag. But remember that there seems to be a couple of mph leeway in CC before the car accelerates or decelerates to the desired speed and that can be noticeable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I didn't look into the settings to see whether you can adjust the 'aggression' of the cruise controls (like you can with the lane departure correction), but there probably isn't one. I for one would not mind a more casual return to speed after ACC slowing down for interfering traffic, rather than the tack it takes in quickly climbing back up. My guess is their market research indicated that the majority of customers prefer more aggression, which is why it is this way. I do agree for the record, that it is more aggressive than I would have liked too.

Of course, for the record, all my CC vehicles do jump up quickly when I hit 'resume' from cancelling it for whatever reason, so this is probably more standard behavior than real design consideration or research.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tapping on the SET- button is one thing, and you normally feel the van slowdown with each tap. But holding the SET- button down for several seconds is a completely different animal!

First of all, you don't feel the van slowdown while the button is held in, and secondly, you don't see what the cruise control setting is being changed to while the button is being held in. So, be prepared to be surprised! (as the Australian veterinarian always says.)

All you have to know is that this is a very dangerous and unpredictable way to lower the cruise control speed when in ACC mode! If you are comfortable quickly lowering the CC by holding the SET- button (on a different car), be prepared for on unpleasant surprise in the Pacifica! Braking will occur in a delayed manner and you have no idea what speed the ACC is trying to lower to. Try it (safely) and report back, it seems quite dangerous to me.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
918 Posts
Wasn't aware of that mode. Sounds like one to be avoided on the Pacifica unless you develop a feel for how long to depress it. IMO, if you want to drop a significant amount of velocity, the better path would be to brake it down (cancelling CC) at your comfortable rate and then tap SET to get the new speed set.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
you don't see what the cruise control setting is being changed to while the button is being held in
That is not my experience. When I press and hold the Set- button, the setting changes in 5 mph increments and those increments update on the display as they change. I frequently go from a 45 to 65 limit on my commute and I press and hold the Set+ button while in goes to 50 > 55 > 60 > 65 and then I release. On the return commute, the speed limit changes in the other direction - from 65 to 45 - and I do the reverse. I do agree, however, that if I change from 65 to 45 in one press and hold that it slows fairly aggressively, although it begins to slow even while I am in the process of changing set speeds.

Reactions: citanic

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’ve read a lot of reviews about the aggressive behavior of the ACC system. I’m anxious to take our first road trip in the PAC and see how it behaves first hand. We have another FCA product with ACC, and it’s been nothing but predictable and appropriate in its behavior. I’m curious if there is a difference in the PAC, or if I simply find acceptable what others think is erratic behavior.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I’ve read a lot of reviews about the aggressive behavior of the ACC system. I’m anxious to take our first road trip in the PAC and see how it behaves first hand. We have another FCA product with ACC, and it’s been nothing but predictable and appropriate in its behavior. I’m curious if there is a difference in the PAC, or if I simply find acceptable what others think is erratic behavior.
Phil, for me it's not that ACC is 'too' aggressive, or borderline dangerous, or any of that. It's simply more aggressive than I would prefer it. When I drove a Durango with ACC I found the behavior to be similar, if that helps.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Tapping on the SET- button is one thing, and you normally feel the van slowdown with each tap. But holding the SET- button down for several seconds is a completely different animal!

First of all, you don't feel the van slowdown while the button is held in, and secondly, you don't see what the cruise control setting is being changed to while the button is being held in. So, be prepared to be surprised! (as the Australian veterinarian always says.)

All you have to know is that this is a very dangerous and unpredictable way to lower the cruise control speed when in ACC mode! If you are comfortable quickly lowering the CC by holding the SET- button (on a different car), be prepared for on unpleasant surprise in the Pacifica! Braking will occur in a delayed manner and you have no idea what speed the ACC is trying to lower to. Try it (safely) and report back, it seems quite dangerous to me.
From the manual, by holding the SET button you change from 1 unit step to 5 steps changes. In another words, one click is 1 MPH, holding it changes in increments of 5 MPH.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A German Shepherd is a dangerous dog, it can be aggressive and even kill. But people still love them and have them as a pet. The same with ACC. It's not perfect, it may be dangerous if you are driving without playing attention. But... I want it in my car even in the way it's. I would love to see new software releases handling the imperfections because at the end I strongly believe most of these issues are controlled via software. All it's is about how to interpret correctly the information coming from the sensors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"I do agree, however, that if I change from 65 to 45 in one press and hold that it slows fairly aggressively, although it begins to slow even while I am in the process of changing set speeds."

I wasn't aware that the ACC changed in 5 mph increments when holding the Set+ or Set- buttons in.

Holding the SET- button in while watching the road ahead apparently didn't give me time to watch the ACC display changes in 5 mph increments (or decrements in my case). That information is good to know but may be difficult (for me, at least) to utilize.

But I don't think I really felt any meaningful deceleration in the van until after releasing the SET- button, when it actually seemed to brake much harder than necessary to get to the new ACC setting. I thought it waited until I released the SET- button for anything to happen, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
But... I want it in my car even in the way it's.
Amen to that one, for sure. Even if it doesn't 'play to my personal style' exactly as I want, I still really dig it and definitely will learn to adapt myself to its' behavior. And honestly, I didn't expect it to behave precisely as I do, how can it? Of course, I say that now, but I'm sure someday it will have a learning mode that adapts to the fob owner's style over time. Nonetheless, as @citanic said, it is a feature that I want, warts and all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah, my wife always complain having me driving up to a stopped vehicle without decelerating or braking until the last several feet. i tell her its the ACC. i always have my foot on the brake though. its like playing chicken with the ACC if i could call it that.

on the other hand, i notice that if the front vehicle is crawling or at least moving, ACC is not as "aggressive" as compared to a completely stopped one.

still its a welcome feature

1 - 14 of 14 Posts