2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say I love how it looks but I can't beat the coverage of the seat protector I just added to hopefully keep the seat from being destroyed. It's for dogs but the Amazon reviews said it was great for kids too! I put a seat protector on the back of the captains chair as well which has pockets to keep their books and toys in.

My little brother talked me into the Weather Tech mats since he got them for his Pacifica. I bought them for the front, middle, and cargo area and I really like them! But of course after a month of owning the van we decided to turn our 3.5-year-old around and move him to the back. Anybody have good filler ideas for the open section? it will be rare that we put this seat up.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Interesting that you put the kids in the back of the bus. We keep ours in the 2 middle seats.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
136 Posts
Interesting that you put the kids in the back of the bus. We keep ours in the 2 middle seats.
When you have more than 2, it's very convenient to use one of the middle seats as a "loading area"; that way you can easily access all 4 remaining seats to buckle up the little ones. When they can fasten their own seatbelts you don't really need this setup anymore.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I put a seat protector on the back of the captains chair as well which has pockets to keep their books and toys in.
I'm not worried too much about the actual seats (I took the leather option just for that), but my kids keep putting their dirty boots full of sand and grime on the back of the seats. What protector did you get, and does it cover well? We can't really see that part from the pics you posted, and I'd be interested in getting some too.

Reactions: KJPert

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
76 Posts
I'm not worried too much about the actual seats (I took the leather option just for that), but my kids keep putting their dirty boots full of sand and grime on the back of the seats. What protector did you get, and does it cover well? We can't really see that part from the pics you posted, and I'd be interested in getting some too.
I got these kick back protectors from Amazon and they seem to do pretty good job of protecting the media screens on the back of the seats

Munchkin Brica Deluxe Kick Mats Car Seat Protector, Black, 2 Pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00B7M7...abc_0CZBJG2Y8YEVKSES17N5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you have more than 2, it's very convenient to use one of the middle seats as a "loading area"
^^THIS^^ Our little girl is still in a pumpkin seat and at 5'2" I can "stand" on my knees in the back without my head touching the top of the van. I plop her into the base in the middle seat and then can "walk" to the back on my knees and get my 3 year old buckled up all while protected from the spring rain :cool: I can not explain to people how much I love having this van! We also have limitations in the garage and everyone needs to get in on the driver's side so this works well for us.

You aren't kidding about the back of the seats getting destroyed though. These seat protectors are nothing to write home about but they work and my only requirements were: brown, pockets, in stock. To our kids' dismay, we didn't get the tech package so didn't have to worry about screens #lowtechparents

Here's the one on the back of the driver's seat for stuff I use on the kids.

The one in front of my 7-year-old that he's slowly filling with stuff:

What I don't like is it's gapping away from the seat as he puts more things in it. I spent approximately 8 seconds installing it so obviously I can probably do some tightening/adjusting to fix this. An enjoyable unintended consequence: My son isn't putting his feet on the seat as much because he doesn't want to wreck his things!

Link to protectors: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQJGGWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the leather option just for that
When I removed the car seats and individual seat protectors out of my Murano I was pretty horrified at the yellow crayon that had fallen behind the seat protector and ground itself into my black leather seat. Plus there was an amazing amount of other grime that took some serious cleaning. Toddlers are just filthy little creatures! :LOL: But to your comment, I was able to get that leather back to a pretty spiffy condition.

With the light leather in the van though I decided I basically needed a bag to put over the seat until we get through all the toddler years!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't say I love how it looks but I can't beat the coverage of the seat protector I just added to hopefully keep the seat from being destroyed. It's for dogs but the Amazon reviews said it was great for kids too! I put a seat protector on the back of the captains chair as well which has pockets to keep their books and toys in.

View attachment 46464
I used to be certified to check child seat/restraint installations.
It looks like you use the seatbelt for the forward facing child seat. With the additional layer of padding and friction, make sure the child seat moves less than 1" front or back and less than 1" side to side when you try to move it at the base where the belt goes through.
In general LATCH installations are much easier to use and easier to get a tight fit. It might be better to use the child seat on the passenger side with LATCH and the booster on the right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
With the light leather in the van though I decided I basically needed a bag to put over the seat until we get through all the toddler years!
Yeah, we got the black interior. My wife calls it "black edition": Black with S package, and all-black interior. We didn't want light leather that could easily stain. We also went lo-tech; our kids are used to not having screens in cars, and I'd like to keep it that way! They've got a tablet, though, and they love the charging ports everywhere in the car. Thanks for the pics and the mini-review!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to be certified to check child seat/restraint installations.
It looks like you use the seatbelt for the forward facing child seat. With the additional layer of padding and friction, make sure the child seat moves less than 1" front or back and less than 1" side to side when you try to move it at the base where the belt goes through.
In general LATCH installations are much easier to use and easier to get a tight fit. It might be better to use the child seat on the passenger side with LATCH and the booster on the right.
Thank you so much for the info! When I uninstalled the seat to put the cover on I asked my husband why he was using the seat belt and he said the instructions had weight limits (or something, I can't remember) to the latch system and he has to use the seatbelt in addition to it. I'll let him know about the variance. We're going on a long trip this weekend so this is great timing on the info!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, we got the black interior. My wife calls it "black edition": Black with S package, and all-black interior. We didn't want light leather that could easily stain. We also went lo-tech; our kids are used to not having screens in cars, and I'd like to keep it that way! They've got a tablet, though, and they love the charging ports everywhere in the car. Thanks for the pics and the mini-review!
haha! Nice! After an all black interior in my last car I swore never again! I'm in southern Ohio and it's just too hot about 6 months out of the year. I'll know in about a year if the light interior was a terrible mistake but so far I love the look and not feeling like I have 3rd degree burns on the back of my thighs when I sit down in shorts :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you so much for the info! When I uninstalled the seat to put the cover on I asked my husband why he was using the seat belt and he said the instructions had weight limits (or something, I can't remember) to the latch system and he has to use the seatbelt in addition to it. I'll let him know about the variance. We're going on a long trip this weekend so this is great timing on the info!
Your husband seems to have read the manual(s) and seems to know what he is doing! :)

Unfortunately, most people don't read or understand the manuals. When I did my certification, about 75% of seats that came in for an installation check had at least minor install/use issues. Some installations that I saw were scary...

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
56 Posts
For your floor situation, have you considered putting a mat underneath the hole in the weather tech mat? Possibly something like a door mat?

I have friends whose minivan used to be a dealer shuttle. For its life as a shuttle, the dealer had some sort of mat that looks like one of those commercial building entry mats, but cut to fit the floor of the van. My friends decided to keep it in there for protection from their kids.

Some car seat manufacturers say not to put anything under their seats. I know Maxi-cosi says that for their infant seat. Does Graco have any recommendations? As @Rincewind8 said, the key is less than 1" of movement.

Clek makes a nice seat mat designed to work with their seats; its heavy rubber and grip the leather well:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For your floor situation, have you considered putting a mat underneath the hole in the weather tech mat? Possibly something like a door mat?
Look what I bought at Big Lots today! I'm satisfied with my $6 door mat.

I'm guessing pretty much all car seats say not to put things under them because of the liability but you raise an excellent point and I'm going to consult the manual. I appreciate the tips. Car seat safety is no joke and it's so easy to screw it up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the pics and the mini-review!
I'm upgrading my review to "good enough." I spent a little time adjusting the seat protector and it fits better now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was searching for something quick to use as a seat protector the other day. My kid is still rear facing and will kick the front of the second row seat. It isn’t pretty but an extra large sweat shirt with a hood slides on PERFECTLY and the hood went right over the head rest. Good for someone in a pinch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are the seatback kick protectors to get.
I looked at these! No brown though 😕 But great design!

I'm already thankful I got the big seat cover. While on our roadtrip last night something possessed my 3 year old to throw his cheeseburger at his brother and fall into the middle seat somehow 🤬 Seat protected though; school uniform pants not 😤

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The Flying Cheeseburgers. Wonderful name for a rock band. Your kids have a great future! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
While on our roadtrip last night something possessed my 3 year old to throw his cheeseburger at his brother and fall into the middle seat somehow 🤬 Seat protected though; school uniform pants not 😤
😂kids!

When I was deep-cleaning our Odyssey last week before we sold it, I kept finding hidden, nasty treasures. Kids have a way of finding the hidden nooks in our vehicles, and then cramming them with sticky, nasty things that then rot. 🙈😫

1 - 20 of 22 Posts