2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2017 Pacifica Touring (bought new, now 27k miles), that did NOT come with the factory tow package.

Last year, I added a trailer hitch for a cargo carrier, and now I'm interested in pulling a 1100 lb popup camper. The trailer hitch is mechanically able to do the job and the vehicle itself is rated for 1500 lbs, I just need the electrical hookup for lights/brakes and a brake controller.

I'm looking at a wireless brake controller (in case I want to use it on another vehicle someday), but first I need a 7-pin connector in the back. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I am only seeing the 4 pin connector for vehicles (on e-trailer) that do not have the factory tow package, can anyone point me to a kit that has the round 7-pin connector that I can hook up a wireless brake controller to?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
You don't really need electric brakes for an 1100 lb camper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could buy something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7.html
But that would set you up for a wired brake controller.
Are you sure your trailer even has brakes?

Edit: Do you already have the 4pin wiring? If not, you will need to get that first. E-trailer sells a kit specifically for the Pacifica that connect to the tail lights.. you will still need to run a wire to the front of the van.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You don't really need electric brakes for an 1100 lb camper.
Unfortunately, by law I do need electric brakes on 1100 lbs camper... I live in NY State :(

You could buy something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7.html
But that would set you up for a wired brake controller.
Are you sure your trailer even has brakes?

Edit: Do you already have the 4pin wiring? If not, you will need to get that first. E-trailer sells a kit specifically for the Pacifica that connect to the tail lights.. you will still need to run a wire to the front of the van.
No 4-pin wiring currently. My understanding though, was that I don't need to run a wire the front of the van if I get the wireless brake controller? After a little more research, this is what I believe I need (already placed the order, but can probably cancel or return if I misunderstood):

• Curt C56399 (Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector)
  • e-Trailer ETBC7 (Universal Install Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV & 4-Way Flat)
  • Curt 51180 (Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 2 Axles - Proportional)

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will still need to run a wire with Curt C56399, from product description: "Includes a powered tail light converter that connects directly to your battery to avoid overloading your vehicle's electrical system"

I just did this... and since I had to run a wire anyways, I went ahead and did the full 7 pin kit, (also what you bought) and ran 3 wires from front to back. Since I did all that work, I went with a wired controller, the redarc

Ended with a very clean install on the inside

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, by law I do need electric brakes on 1100 lbs camper... I live in NY State :(

No 4-pin wiring currently. My understanding though, was that I don't need to run a wire the front of the van if I get the wireless brake controller? After a little more research, this is what I believe I need (already placed the order, but can probably cancel or return if I misunderstood):

• Curt C56399 (Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector)
  • e-Trailer ETBC7 (Universal Install Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV & 4-Way Flat)
  • Curt 51180 (Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 2 Axles - Proportional)
You will still need to run a wire with Curt C56399, from product description: "Includes a powered tail light converter that connects directly to your battery to avoid overloading your vehicle's electrical system"

I just did this... and since I had to run a wire anyways, I went ahead and did the full 7 pin kit, (also what you bought) and ran 3 wires from front to back. Since I did all that work, I went with a wired controller, the redarc

Ended with a very clean install on the inside
Ugh... So do I need to buy anything else, or does the C56399 include the wires needed to run all the way to the battery up front?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you will have everything you need. Does your hitch already have a spot for the 7 way connector to bolt on to? Such as the draw-tite 76046

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you will have everything you need. Does your hitch already have a spot for the 7 way connector to bolt on to? Such as the draw-tite 76046
I think so. It's a draw-tite, don't recall the model number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jaydee. I installed all aftermarket tow parts and have towed a 3,000lb+ pop-up camper thousands of miles so far, including over the rockies and back a half dozen times. The van tows like a champ. Almost dangerously, you do not even notice the thing back there when on the road at speed.

For what it is worth, my major parts list was as follows:

Draw-Tite 76046
Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF
Tekonsha 118712
E-trailer ETBC7
and eventually, Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Hitch - EQ37061ET, as the 76046 is rated for WD

It seems you have slightly different parts, but are going for the same result with a wireless brake controller and brake wiring back to the battery. Install was not that difficult at any step. But word of advice on the tow-bar- You do not need to remove as much of the felt-like undercarriage covering as Draw-Tite states. I left most of mine, and just have the hitch popping out where necessary. this keeps it looking really clean. I think you will like the hitch.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just did this on my 2018 Pacifica and in my opinion it is the only way to go. Getting to the Center High Stop Light wire was impossible for me and the Echo worked beautifully to avoid having to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts