2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article about AGM batteries on KNOWYOURPARTS.COM - https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/blog/three-misconceptions-agm-batteries/ - (AGM batteries are in the Pacifica with the engine auto stop/start feature). One paragraph caught my attention quite readily since I have been reading posts about people replacing the batteries and. then, shortly thereafter having the new batteries go dead. The paragraph I was reading is copied and pasted below:

AGM or gel cell battery replacement is the same as flooded battery replacement.
True and False. While the installation of the battery may be the same for the two battery styles, some vehicles require an extra step to tell the vehicle that the battery has been replaced. Newer vehicles have a Battery Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail soon after replacement.

My question is: Does my 2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus have a Battery Sensor Module that must be recalibrated with a scan tool when the battery is replaced?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am interested in the answer too.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Does your 2017 have ESS? (Engine Stop Start)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don’t have it handy but there is a thread here I’ve read that has the actual technical manual pages on the official way to change the battery. I don’t recall a scan tool step but it’s been a while. You should be able to find it with some search-fu.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don’t have it handy but there is a thread here I’ve read that has the actual technical manual pages on the official way to change the battery. I don’t recall a scan tool step but it’s been a while. You should be able to find it with some search-fu.
I have this from a previous post and does not say anything about needing a scan tool but someone wiser that I may have another comment!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
343 Posts
I have this from a previous post and does not say anything about needing a scan tool but someone wiser that I may have another comment!
Those instructions are for replacing the aux battery. When changing the main battery you may need the scan tool process.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well for the cranking battery I have this which I recall came from Lily

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was reading an article about AGM batteries on KNOWYOURPARTS.COM - https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/blog/three-misconceptions-agm-batteries/ - (AGM batteries are in the Pacifica with the engine auto stop/start feature). One paragraph caught my attention quite readily since I have been reading posts about people replacing the batteries and. then, shortly thereafter having the new batteries go dead. The paragraph I was reading is copied and pasted below:

AGM or gel cell battery replacement is the same as flooded battery replacement.
True and False. While the installation of the battery may be the same for the two battery styles, some vehicles require an extra step to tell the vehicle that the battery has been replaced. Newer vehicles have a Battery Sensor Module or similar systems. These systems require recalibration with a scan tool if the battery is replaced. If the system is not recalibrated, the alternator might overcharge the new battery and cause the battery to fail soon after replacement.

My question is: Does my 2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus have a Battery Sensor Module that must be recalibrated with a scan tool when the battery is replaced?
Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

One scenario I can see of the batteries which fail "soon" after replacement could be the following.

Our aux and main batteries are connected when the van is off. So if one battery was failing over a period of time it was also draining the capacity out of the other "good" battery. Once you replace the failed battery, the battery which was good, could have been degraded to the point where the new battery's capacity now gets eaten away by a not so good older battery, and the vicious cycle is repeated, just a guess on my part.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
325 Posts
That was my situation and was covered under warranty. I think during that last visit, several months ago, some new software was included. I cannot verify that but the ESS seems to be slightly slower to activate at traffic lights and in the driveway when I get home. It appears easier to get the van into PARK and shut down the engine before the ESS kicks in. Again no proof just gut sense. Nevertheless, I maintain this feature will cost me more than the gas it will ever save. We will never know if it was bad batteries or a poorly executed design though.

Reactions: laspic and thclimer

·
Registered
2 Posts
How "soon" is "soon" for a new set of batteries to fail after replacement? My ESS stopped working in January (presumably because the aux battery died) and my main battery catastrophically failed in April. It is still under warranty so the dealership replaced both for free. It's been 3 months and so far so good. Should they have started to fail by now? I've also noticed the ESS now kicks in a little bit later than it used to.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica TL+
5 Posts
I have a 2018 TL+ and installed this: It's Awesome. It works seamlessly and I don't have to fiddle with a button every time I start the van. I hated pulling into the garage, motor turning off only for me to have to restart it to go into park. I too can't imagine that the additional wear over time on the starter, batteries, etc. is worth the minuscule fuel savings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A scan tool is not used to reset the IBS after changing a battery (or disconnecting a battery for any reason).

After a Pacifica battery is reconnected, the Intelligent Battery Sensor module needs to "relearn" the normal voltage condition.

The process involves 5 separate engine starts, with a minimum of 4 engine off hours between each re-start. IF you have not had 5 restarts with 4 hours of off time between the starts, the ESS lamp will remain illuminated.

IF you HAVE completed 5 starts with the required off intervals intervening, you probably have an issue like a defective IBS module...

When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a power disconnection, it enters a “recalibration” phase, where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. In this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition. When IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored, the IBS starts a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is unavailable to other vehicle systems. The IBS relearn process requires five normal, operator initiated starts with at least four hours normal or more during cold ambient conditions of engine off time between each start. Usually, the process takes a few days of vehicle operation to complete. Remember, the relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS.
If the IBS is faulty it cannot be serviced, it must be replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A scan tool is not used to reset the IBS after changing a battery (or disconnecting a battery for any reason).

After a Pacifica battery is reconnected, the Intelligent Battery Sensor module needs to "relearn" the normal voltage condition.

The process involves 5 separate engine starts, with a minimum of 4 engine off hours between each re-start. IF you have not had 5 restarts with 4 hours of off time between the starts, the ESS lamp will remain illuminated.

IF you HAVE completed 5 starts with the required off intervals intervening, you probably have an issue like a defective IBS module...

When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a power disconnection, it enters a “recalibration” phase, where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. In this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition. When IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored, the IBS starts a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is unavailable to other vehicle systems. The IBS relearn process requires five normal, operator initiated starts with at least four hours normal or more during cold ambient conditions of engine off time between each start. Usually, the process takes a few days of vehicle operation to complete. Remember, the relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS.
If the IBS is faulty it cannot be serviced, it must be replaced.
Thanks! Just what I wanted to know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts