2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Pacifica in for 50K service, recall, and a strut issue. A/C was working fine. We got the van back in record time and all of a sudden the A/C no longer works. Air comes out of the vents, but it does not cool down like it should.

Any ideas what it might be? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Took my Pacifica in for 50K service, recall, and a strut issue. A/C was working fine. We got the van back in record time and all of a sudden the A/C no longer works. Air comes out of the vents, but it does not cool down like it should.

Thanks in advance!
What is ambient/outside air temp reading? Does it seem to be accurate?

Most vehicles (including the Pacifica) use the ambient air temp sensor to determine if it's too cold outside to use A/C. I don't know the exact temp the A/C is disabled at on the Pacifica, but on most modern vehicles it's around 34-38°F.

If the problem just started occurring after the dealership completed their work, I'd take it back to them if the indicated ambient temp is warm enough to use A/C.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Yeah if the ambient air temperature is fine check and see if the compressor is kicking on and off. if its not check the relay. There was a similar post in which the compressor was working intermittently and it turned out to be an electrical short in the compressor. The only moving parts in the air conditioning are 1-compressor, 2- blower motor and 3 the airvent mix valve(mixes cold and hot air) Of course the relays and sensors but they aren't really moving parts

Which reminds me I still need to get some 1234xy adapters :nerd:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe that late model vehicles have a compressor that runs all the time.
Que?! :nerd:

Well theres a relay for it so it most certainly doesn't run all the time and why would it? Especially if your not using it. That would kill the fuel efficiency and you know how they are trying to squeeze every MPG they can like with ASS and everything. Plus the wear and tear on the compressor.... I don't think so>:)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't know for sure if Chrysler is using variable displacement ac compressors at this time. Many are, as they are more efficient. They still use a relay, but there is no clutch, as the compressor is turning all the time, but the variable displacement pistons inside vary from no pumping to maximum pumping, depending on what is required.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't know for sure if Chrysler is using variable displacement ac compressors at this time. Many are, as they are more efficient. They still use a relay, but there is no clutch, as the compressor is turning all the time, but the variable displacement pistons inside vary from no pumping to maximum pumping, depending on what is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPuYF0eNK6M
interesting

·
Registered
800 Posts
See this thread
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/42565-intermittent-ac-problem.html

There was a TSB about intermittent shorts in the compressor.

WRT to ambient temperature cutoff, as far as I know the compressor will almost ALWAYS come on with DEFROST. So try that and see if it works. If it does, then the thermostat issues might be the cause. If it stays off, I am guessing that you have a compressor issue.

As I said in my post there (and my original thread,) originally it did not come on, then started up halfway home. It stayed off the next two days and at the beginning of the drive to the dealer. As soon the service department was in sight, it came back on. The dealer played with it a few weeks, and finally, on the day they were going to give it back, it finally misbehaved for them. Talk about "the perversity of inanimate" (phrase credit to Piers Anthony and few million engineers....)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Probably clutch -- I am pretty sure my 2017 "clicks" when the compressor goes on. You can hear it when the van starts up after a few seconds on warm days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This might seem dumb, but my AC "suddenly" quit working after I only had it a few days. I discovered the the AC button must be ativated even though the climate control was set to "Auto".

·
Registered
14 Posts
See this thread
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/42565-intermittent-ac-problem.html

There was a TSB about intermittent shorts in the compressor.

WRT to ambient temperature cutoff, as far as I know the compressor will almost ALWAYS come on with DEFROST. So try that and see if it works. If it does, then the thermostat issues might be the cause. If it stays off, I am guessing that you have a compressor issue.

As I said in my post there (and my original thread,) originally it did not come on, then started up halfway home. It stayed off the next two days and at the beginning of the drive to the dealer. As soon the service department was in sight, it came back on. The dealer played with it a few weeks, and finally, on the day they were going to give it back, it finally misbehaved for them. Talk about "the perversity of inanimate" (phrase credit to Piers Anthony and few million engineers....)

Yep. That's my thread, and I'm still dealing with it. Mine failed right at 51,000 miles. It was in for almost 3 weeks because the replacement compressor they got from Chrysler was bad out of the box. Then it died AGAIN a week after I got it back, so that's 3 bad compressors that have been in my van. It goes back in again tomorrow for compressor number 4.

Have you opened a case with ChryslerCares? You can send them a DM through their screen name here and they'll get you a case manager. I'll be happy to talk to them for you if they want, but they're not going to want to hear what I have to say. This will most likely be my last Chrysler vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This might seem dumb, but my AC "suddenly" quit working after I only had it a few days. I discovered the the AC button must be ativated even though the climate control was set to "Auto".

That's not correct, unless they changed it after the 2017 model. If I press the AC button to turn it on it disables AUTO mode.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's not correct, unless they changed it after the 2017 model. If I press the AC button to turn it on it disables AUTO mode.
I can confirm that our 2018 model disables AUTO mode when the A/C button is pressed. Basically, changing any setting except temperature exits AUTO mode. Also, changing the temp using the passenger temp buttons exits SYNC mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts