2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of us know, a generic code reader is vastly inadequate tool for Pacifica diagnostics because most of the information and codes are proprietary. I've come across a FCA specific software called alfaOBD that is capable of digging much deeper into our vans. It runs on Windows or Android. I tried the Android version with a generic ELM327 Bluetooth code reader. I have aftermarket HID lights connected through a relay. The absence of the stock bulbs raises the "burned bulb" code invisible to the owner, but readable by the dealer's Witech scanner. When I read the BCM with AlfaOBD it correctly identified the codes. I don't have any open issues with the van and can't check other codes, I'm fairly confident the software can read most, if not all of them.
alfaOBD can reset the trouble codes and perform proactive diagnostics and programming features. They are readily accessible on the 2017 models. 2018+ equipped with Security Gateway Module, which needs to be bypassed for any 'write' operations to work.
It also supports Hybrid specific modules, I'll make a separate post about them.
IMHO, alfaOBD is a must have tool, both in and out of warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2018+ equipped with Security Gateway Module, which needs to be bypassed for any 'write' operations to work.
Is there an easy way to bypass the security module? Everything I have seen up to this point indicated that I need to disassemble part of the dashboard and access a port near the shifter knob. That seems like a pain, and was hoping there's a simpler way to bypass the module.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there an easy way to bypass the security module? Everything I have seen up to this point indicated that I need to disassemble part of the dashboard and access a port near the shifter knob. That seems like a pain, and was hoping there's a simpler way to bypass the module.
The SGM can't be disabled by a command from the OBDII port, it would defeat its purpose entirely. It has to be physically bypassed, no way around it. I haven't done it, but it doesn't look too hard. The center console is pulled out, and the module should be right there. It can be bypassed with a plug sold online or with homemade jumper wires.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@stop-eject -- Sold!! You convinced me!! (I'm so weak and gullible... :)). Look forward to getting it installed tonight!
This is a fun tool if like geeky things. On the gas van it can monitor the 12V battery and help to avoid being stranded. The ESS system should aso be accessible.

Code:
Intelligent Battery Sensor(IBS) Data 1:
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Measured Voltage: 14.72 V
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Current Range Sensor Setting: 200
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Current: 5.69 A
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Temperature: 15 Deg.C
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Quiescent Current: 0.99 A
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Current Error: No error
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Temperature Error: No error
   Inteligent Battery Sensor Error in Calibration Data: No
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Error in ECU Identification: No
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Error in NVM Data: No
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Response Error: No
Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) Data 2:
   Intelligent Battery Sensor State of Charge: 82 %
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Residual Battery Charge: 8.00 A/h
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Predicted Voltage after Cranking: 6.81 V
   Intelligent Battery Sensor State of Health: 73.00 A/h
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Predicted Time Limit for Start Capability: 45 min
   Intelligent Battery Sensor SOC Accuracy Status: Error < 10%
   Intelligent Battery Sensor SOF_Q Accuracy Status: Error < 10%
   Intelligent Battery Sensor SOF_V Accuracy Status: Error < 10%
   Intelligent Battery Sensor SOH_Q Accuracy Status: Error > 15%
   Intelligent Battery Sensor SOF_T Accuracy Status: Error < 10%
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Blind Charging Flag: Not set
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Battery Disconnection Flag: Not set
Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) Data 3:
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Lifetime Charge Received: 831.13 A/h
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Lifetime Charge Released: 782.13 A/h
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Voltage Before LIN Wakeup: 7.91 V
   Intelligent Battery Sensor Wake Up Reason: Signal Not Available

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone try appcar yet? Issues I had with the Bluetooth obd2 dongles from my past experience sometimes had “write” issues when coding . They are great for reading codes / clearing them but once you start coding your modules I’d rather be connected to a laptop USB , that way no data is lost over the air throwing errors back. Never had a bad flash going to USB

for 75$ what I’m into it for the software and the USB cable, to talk to all your canbus modules, code , clear , Live data it’s hard to beat

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone try appcar yet?
I wrote to them a while ago, they promised to have some Hybrid support, not aware of recent developments.
AlfaOBD has a Windows version, the draw of the Android app is that it can be evaluated for free.

I think one of these can do much of the same. Its an option for people that might want something that is more stand alone.

Unlikely. It will read the standard government mandated emission related data, but won't be able access most or all proprietary values.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so we are maybe saying the same thing then? The device I Iinked reads the ECU and does live charts... and so does Alfa.
ECU= Engine Control Unit. There are many other control modules in the van- body, steering, ABS, climate, windows, doors, etc. The Hybrid system alone consists of 5 modules.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AlfaOBD works on 2018+ with a unlock cable. I bought mine through Thoroughbred Diesel on eBay. Makes changing anything through the app a breeze. I was able to install OEM remote start and adjust settings for LED bulbs. I was also able to diagnose some door sensor issues since the dealer couldn't figure it out.

I also used it on my Ram to install factory keyless and remote start on my 2018 2500 Diesel.

AlfaOBD is a legit software on my phone, best $49 I have ever spent.

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
so could one access the settings to change DRLs to the LED strip for non-limited folks? Trying to think of what other features we could activate with it that I don't already have on our 2020 touring (we have all the safety stuff but not the full surround cameras)

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so could one access the settings to change DRLs to the LED strip for non-limited folks? Trying to think of what other features we could activate with it that I don't already have on our 2020 touring (we have all the safety stuff but not the full surround cameras)
The app has a setting to enable the dedicated LED DRLs. The question is whether it is supported by the headlight itself. IIRC, the Limited headlights have brighter DRLs with 3 LEDs, while TL+ DRLs have a single LED>

·
Registered
21 Posts
[/QUOTE]
The app has a setting to enable the dedicated LED DRLs. The question is whether it is supported by the headlight itself. IIRC, the Limited headlights have brighter DRLs with 3 LEDs, while TL+ DRLs have a single LED>
I understand about the brightness concern and that doesn't bother me much. At this point i'm just not sure if i will need something for the security gateway now.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, you'll need to bypass it for the "write" access. Either with wire jumpers or a plug and play dongle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, you'll need to bypass it for the "write" access. Either with wire jumpers or a plug and play dongle.
definitely going with a dongle versus jumpers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts