2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the auxiliary battery bought me about 13 days of peace. Driving the van yesterday, and after shutting off at a traffic light, it struggled to restart and the ESS warning light and error message appeared.

What I found interesting was when I went under the hood with the thought of disconnecting the battery to reset things, I noticed that the decals on the top of the main battery were lifted up a bit. When I went to smooth the decals back down, I could feel several of the caps on the top of this supposedly non-serviceable battery where proud of the case itself. I pushed them back down, but it looks like I'll be heading to the dealer in the morning for a replacement main battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Replacing the auxiliary battery bought me about 13 days of peace. Driving the van yesterday, and after shutting off at a traffic light, it struggled to restart and the ESS warning light and error message appeared.

What I found interesting was when I went under the hood with the thought of disconnecting the battery to reset things, I noticed that the decals on the top of the main battery were lifted up a bit. When I went to smooth the decals back down, I could feel several of the caps on the top of this supposedly non-serviceable battery where proud of the case itself. I pushed them back down, but it looks like I'll be heading to the dealer in the morning for a replacement main battery.
Thought you posted this already in another thread. Why copy-paste it here and edit out the bottom part from the other thread?

https://www.pacificaforums.com/threads/auxiliary-battery-out-of-stock.43777/page-2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized I was going off on a tangent beyond the original topic, which was the availability of auxiliary batteries. There isn't a delete button on this new forum that I"m aware of, so I created a separate thread. Not particularly a big deal.

BACK ON TOPIC, I went down to my local dealer this morning to pick up a replacement main battery, but according to them Chrysler is changing suppliers from Interstate to one of two other companies that produces the world's lead acid batteries. They sent me to the local Interstate Battery store, where I picked up a replacement to install this evening.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a second trip to Interstate for the right battery (my van is an early 2016 production 2017, but I needed a battery for a 2018 application because of ESS and the auxiliary battery) I popped the new battery in (losing a 10mm socket somewhere in there in the process) and so far, so good. We'll see if this is a long term solution or if I'll just get a couple weeks of peace.

·
Registered
917 Posts
After a second trip to Interstate for the right battery (my van is an early 2016 production 2017, but I needed a battery for a 2018 application because of ESS and the auxiliary battery) I popped the new battery in (losing a 10mm socket somewhere in there in the process) and so far, so good. We'll see if this is a long term solution or if I'll just get a couple weeks of peace.

....no "battery re-learn" as the service receipt stated when the dealership replaced both of my batteries?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....no "battery re-learn" as the service receipt stated when the dealership replaced both of my batteries?
Funny, no. I saw that mentioned in another thread, but according to my wife the ESS is functioning normally. I'm not sure what exactly would need to be relearned by the system.

·
Registered
917 Posts
How is your Pacifica shifting now? Did you use a info saver (not the right name) so the radio stations, etc would not be lost when you changed the battery?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Van shifts no different than it did before I swapped the battery out, and the ESS works as it should. I used nothing to save settings, and all presets were retained, including the trip computer and radio.

And note, I had both batteries out at one point last week trying to fit the larger H7 battery.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...so your assessment of the "battery learning" procedure. Maybe it is for the hybrid and not the gas?
That would make more sense. I drove our van a bit more today and it acted like it did when we first bought it last year, in that ESS activated at the bottom of our driveway, which it hadn't been the past few months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
Jimal
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing