2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Android Auto on 2021 Pacifica Touring and Touring L (without Navi): Which devices work wired/wireless?

8K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  MichBolt 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to compile a list of phones that do and don't support Android Auto on the 2021 Touring trims (without built-in navigation), and if they support wired or wireless (or both). I'm looking for responses that have been personally tested by you (not something you've read).
I'll start (feel free to copy/paste format):

Year/Trim/Navigation | Phone | Android Version | Wired AA | Wireless AA
2021 Touring w/o Navi, Moto G8 Power, Android 10, No, No
2021 Touring w/o Navi, Moto x4, Android 10, No, No
2021 Touring w/o Navi, Galaxy S10+, Android 11, No, Yes

Back story: A technician recently told me that 2021 Base models without built-in Navigation (Touring, Touring L) ONLY have wireless Android Auto - They do not support wired AA! Then he proceeded to demonstrate his point with his own phone (Galaxy S10+ running Android 11). His phone connected wirelessly no problem, but nothing happened when he plugged it into various USB ports using various cables. I have tried connecting 3 other phones with USB and gotten same results (i.e. nothing). After reading Google's AA requirements here, I didn't expect my budget phone to work wirelessly, but I was surprised when the wired connection didn't work since it works on my other car. This technician's explanation and demonstration seem to hold water, but I'd love to hear from others for two reasons:
1. Apparently I need a new phone, so I'd like to know what works
2. Do 2021 Touring models really not support wired AA?

Thanks!

ps - I should add that my phone is extra stinky because it disconnects when trying to place/receive bluetooth calls.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's not true; in my car wireless Android Auto works well with my Galaxy S10 and my wife's new Galaxy A71, but it also worked wired with her old Galaxy A8 (2018).

Since my phone is already paired wirelessly, nothing happens when I plug it in; that part is true. It does start charging, though!

EDIT: My car DOES have navigation, but I don't think that changes anything regarding Android Auto.

Reactions: buckbuckgoose
#4 ·
This has to be almost entirely untrue... I just purchased a Touring L w/ 10.1 no NAV and I use a Galaxy Note 10+ that only works through wired connection. I feel like there may be a bug in the software on mine because I'm not able to connect wireless for Apple car play or android auto with several different devices. But they definitely work wired. Also, there is a setting in the menus that I saw somewhere that is to make the USBs charge only. You might check that out.

#11 ·
@OnlyAdamTheDad

Is your phone hot after you take it off the charger, when the charger stops working? And you also happen to be using Wireless Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

I know when my phone gets too hot, the wireless charging will error out. The phone gets too hot because of the wireless AA/CP, which is very demanding of the phone and causes it to heat up. Combine this with the wireless charging, and your phone gets too hot and stops the wireless charge. May not be the fault of the charger if this is happening to you in the same way.

#20 · (Edited)
I am posting this in 2023 to possibly save someone else the time/pain I spent on this and I sure wish I had found this post sooner. With my 2021 Pacifica Touring L 10.1" (No Nav), after several back and forth trips to the dealership over 2 weeks, I can absolutely confirm that Android Auto via USB/wired connection does NOT work (and is not intended to), no matter what device or cable combo. The phones I was attempting to connect will easily connect to Android Auto via USB in our Ford Flex (Sync) and also to an Alpine iLX-W650 in another car.

The technician that worked on the issue reluctantly admitted this to me upon final pick up and gave me a copy of an internal Chrysler document about it. Normally, I wouldn't care, but my Pacifica's head unit doesn't allow more than 2 devices to be paired via Bluetooth. I'm not talking simultaneously either, it just won't allow more than 2 devices in Device Manager. My son wanted to use the car/Android Auto with his phone, but because 2 phones had been paired, it would not allow his phone to be connected unless one of the phones was deleted. Doing a hard reset of the whole system was the only way to fix it. So painful 😒

#21 ·
This is extremely frustrating to hear. I've been trying to get wireless AA on my 2021 hybrid to work but it will fail to connect repeatedly for 5-10 minutes and the suddenly work for about 5 minutes and disconnect and reconnect repeatedly. The only way I can make it work reliably is to go into the uConnect system settings and reset the radio. I don't want to have to do this every time I start the van. The dealership said that was because the latest uConnect system was only updated to Android 13 compatibility and my Pixel 6a was on Android 14. I call BS. I just want to be able to connect a USB cable for reliable Android Auto.

#22 ·
FWIW, we have a 21 hybrid, and wireless AA works fine with our Pixel 7a on Android 14.

Wireless AA is always tricky to troubleshoot, since the error could be in multiple places. Did you try the usual AA troubleshooting steps:
1. Reboot your phone
2. Reboot the infotainment system
3. Check / install updates on phone
4. Delete devices in the Pacifica settings
5. Disconnect the negative terminal of the 12V battery for several minutes, then reconnect
6. Reset the Pacifica's settings to default

#25 ·
I've rebooted my phone and the infotainment system and that will make it work temporarily.

I only have this one device paired.

Phone is up to date.

I have done a factory reset of the Pacifica.

I have not disconnected the negative terminal of the battery. I understand disconnecting power entirely but why would you do the negative terminal and not the positive terminal?

#23 · (Edited)
Current device: S24 Ultra, One UI 6.1, Android 14, Android Auto 11.2.640434-release, 0 issues with wireless connection for the last month after upgrading.

Previous device: S23 Ultra, One UI 6/6.1 Android 13/14, 0 issues with wireless connection over the previous year.

Reactions: JamesB
#24 ·
I use Apple CarPlay with an iPhone 14 Pro Max. When I got my van last month it was hit or miss on wireless connectivity.
Some days no issues, then other days 5-20 minutes before it would connect or not at all.
I did a full factory reset on the Uconnect lost all my settings in the process. But, I now have rock solid connectivity.