2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I've searched and found people reporting issues getting Android Auto to work, but none quite like mine. I purchased a 2018 limited hybrid late last year, and Android Auto worked fine up until sometime last week. Both my wife's phone (Galaxy S8) and mine (Pixel) stopped working at the same time. I've tried 4 different usb cables, pulling fuse 76, completely blew away all settings for both phones (on both the uconnect side and the phone side) and tried re-adding them. No matter what I try, I can't get Android Auto to load. If I plug one of the phones in and leave it for a bit (maybe 30 seconds?) I eventually get the error in the attached image.

Note: Android Auto loads just fine on the phone, just won't connect to the car.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
My wife had a similar error with Android auto in her subaru, which was fixed by going into the andoid auto app on the phone, going into settings, and doing "forget all cars", then force close, then reconfigure. You might have already done this, but you mentioned "Uconnect" settings instead of Android Auto, so I wanted to make sure...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I started having the same Android auot issue yesterday. It was working for a few minutes and then it stopped and wouldn't load again. I have Motorola x4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife had a similar error with Android auto in her subaru, which was fixed by going into the andoid auto app on the phone, going into settings, and doing "forget all cars", then force close, then reconfigure. You might have already done this, but you mentioned "Uconnect" settings instead of Android Auto, so I wanted to make sure...
Thank you for the suggestion. I did try that, as well as purging all the app data and even uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Just to be sure, I just went and tried again, with no luck. Interestingly, my phone says it is connected to the car, but then there are no cars under "corrected cars". The car throws the error from my first post, but then saves my phone. This whole thing is insanely frustrating. Android Auto was the biggest reason we wanted the 2018, and now we can't use it.

Thanks again for the suggestion; hopefully someone else has experienced (and fixed) this same issue on the Pacifica. I'm inclined to believe the issue is with the car and not the phones, since they both stopped working at the same time, and we've never had issues (with Android Auto) previously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Played with it a bit more today, and I made a little progress, so I came back to report it. I did a factory reset on the radio. It does load Android Auto now, but it won't display the screen. My phone thinks everything is good, but the head unit is just black when you click the Android Auto button (this button wouldn't even appear until now). Image attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also interesting to note, our phone/Android Auto button used to be on the far right on the bottom. The first time we noticed this issue we noticed it's the second from the left now. I'm starting to think I got an OTA update to the uconnect system that broke it.

M

·
0 Posts
Also interesting to note, our phone/Android Auto button used to be on the far right on the bottom. The first time we noticed this issue we noticed it's the second from the left now. I'm starting to think I got an OTA update to the uconnect system that broke it.
that is interesting. When you were messing around with the radio, did you notice under settings somewhere if there is a software version listed?

·
Registered
596 Posts
that is interesting. When you were messing around with the radio, did you notice under settings somewhere if there is a software version listed?
Getting the software version is not obvious. You have to press the driver's side temperature up and down buttons and the defrost button all together for 5 seconds. That gets you into "dealer mode". From there you can get to the "Radio Part Information" screen. My car was delivered with version 17.37.29 but was updated over the air in February to 17.48.2a. I understand there is a later version 17.50.49 that recent cars were delivered with and that also can be installed by a dealer. I do not believe it is being distributed over the air, yet.

It is unlikely that you would get an update without you knowing about it. It does prompt you that an update is available and asks you if you want to install it and gives the opportunity to schedule it for a later time.

M

·
0 Posts
Getting the software version is not obvious. You have to press the driver's side temperature up and down buttons and the defrost button all together for 5 seconds. That gets you into "dealer mode". From there you can get to the "Radio Part Information" screen. My car was delivered with version 17.37.29 but was updated over the air in February to 17.48.2a. I understand there is a later version 17.50.49 that recent cars were delivered with and that also can be installed by a dealer. I do not believe it is being distributed over the air, yet.

It is unlikely that you would get an update without you knowing about it. It does prompt you that an update is available and asks you if you want to install it and gives the opportunity to schedule it for a later time.
Cool, I have a 2018 purchased 2 weeks ago and have software version 17.50.59, and android auto is working great with my S6 Edge.

Application version is: USA-IR-SBX-19.12.0-20171215-107v

·
Registered
1 Posts
And I just brought home a new 18 limited and have the same issue, the phone connects then the same error on the screen. Same phone and cable work great in my other Android auto car.

My wife was worried about Chrysler quality, I may never hear the end of this.

It is a sweet looking van though.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

The hybrid may be different than the gas Pacifica on this issue, but I can find out the UConnect software version by checking the touchscreen under Uapps, Settings, System Information.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The hybrid may be different than the gas Pacifica on this issue, but I can find out the UConnect software version by checking the touchscreen under Uapps, Settings, System Information.
That's interesting. Mine definitely does not have any version information there -- just "Software License Information" which simply refers you to a website where they disclose their use of open source licenses. Which version do you have? Maybe this appeared in a version after 17.48.2a which is what I have.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
That's interesting. Mine definitely does not have any version information there -- just "Software License Information" which simply refers you to a website where they disclose their use of open source licenses. Which version do you have? Maybe this appeared in a version after 17.48.2a which is what I have.
According to the hybrid owner's manual (about page 548) under the Multimedia section: Settings, Software License -When this feature is selected, a “Software License” screen will appear, displaying the system software version. I know that the owner's manual isn't always up to date or easy to find information in. Maybe there isn't an easy way to find the software version on hybrids.
@seo68 have you found a way to find the UConnect system software version on your hybrid?

My software version is 17.43.01 which is supposed to be up to date for my van (a gas 2017 Touring L) which doesn't have an entertainment system. The 2018 and/or hybrids may have different software versions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked today, and I have 17.48.2a. I've got an unrelated issue (rear blower motor isn't working), so my wife is going to try to take it to a dealership tomorrow to get it looked at. I'll update if they provide a fix or any other info.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Mine is the same as yours

According to the hybrid owner's manual (about page 548) under the Multimedia section: Settings, Software License -When this feature is selected, a “Software License” screen will appear, displaying the system software version. I know that the owner's manual isn't always up to date or easy to find information in. Maybe there isn't an easy way to find the software version on hybrids.

@seo68 have you found a way to find the UConnect system software version on your hybrid?

My software version is 17.43.01 which is supposed to be up to date for my van (a gas 2017 Touring L) which doesn't have an entertainment system. The 2018 and/or hybrids may have different software versions.

Using the method @AZBean mentioned (Temp UP + Temp Down + Defrost) I get a radio version of 17.48.2a

Interestingly, my AndroidAuto, which has been working really nicely, recently just hangs when I try to get it to play a text message. The Google dots move around a little, but it doesn't speak. I will try a F76 reboot and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife just got the van back. They fixed our A/C issue, but I guess none of them have ever seen android auto work. Apparently multiple techs plugged in their phones, and they couldn't get the black screen to appear. The service advisor told her that since they don't know what's supposed to happen they couldn't troubleshoot it.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Using the method @AZBean mentioned (Temp UP + Temp Down + Defrost) I get a radio version of 17.48.2a

Interestingly, my AndroidAuto, which has been working really nicely, recently just hangs when I try to get it to play a text message. The Google dots move around a little, but it doesn't speak. I will try a F76 reboot and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for checking about how to find the software version on a hybrid. It does seem odd to me that it isn't easy to find in the settings menu.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My wife just got the van back. They fixed our A/C issue, but I guess none of them have ever seen android auto work. Apparently multiple techs plugged in their phones, and they couldn't get the black screen to appear. The service advisor told her that since they don't know what's supposed to happen they couldn't troubleshoot it.
Wow, what a cop out. If they don't know how it is supposed to work then they can contact Chrysler support. They are supposed to have access to technical help that we don't.

In any case, I am not convinced that it is a hardware problem, although it might be. The fact that it worked before and now doesn't makes me think that something got installed on the phone that is causing the problem. But then it would have to be something on both phones. See if you can borrow a friend or neighbor's Android phone and try that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In case someone else has this problem, I'll post you how I (kind of) resolved it:
Summary: Worked fine for 7 months, stopped working suddenly on both phones (different phone models). Got connection error on 100% of attempts (photo from first post)

Troubleshooting steps:
  • Tried multiple cables (including the Anker cable I use for fast charging and data transfer inside)
  • resetting via fuse 76 pull
  • uninstalled/reinstalled android auto
  • deleted all app data and reinstalled
  • tried teenager's phone that had never been connected with fresh android auto install
  • tried factory reset on radio.
After factory reset the behavior changed somewhat. We were able to get android auto to partially load, but not actually load the buttons or do anything, just a black screen (see photo from third post).

After we got the car back from the dealership, we were playing with it again, and I decided to try one of the cables we had from last time. Android auto loads! But it's sloooooow. After plugging phone in, it takes roughly 15-20 seconds to load. We have intermittent issues loading Waze. We also have the occasional connectivity error, I think we had 2 in a 45 minute drive yesterday; unplug/replug, and you're back in business 15 seconds later.

If I had to guess, what happened is we had a cable go bad, and the radio didn't like that. Something got hosed up in the radio's cache or something, and doing the factory reset fixed it, but we had already tried so many cables and stuff I didn't think to go back and try again. Hopefully we're done with this. I'll update if I ever get the slowness resolved, but at least it's not totally unusable anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts