2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
This article is out of control... this must have taken her a couple of weeks to compile and write... wow!
Yea, it's a great resource and she has an article for all of the other major vans so it's awesome to compare all of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
This article is out of control... this must have taken her a couple of weeks to compile and write... wow!
It's interesting that she is so detailed on the specifics but then says the ONLY 8 seater trim that has all the safety features she recommends is the Touring-L Plus. What does the Limited not have?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This is a relief! I needed this.

Also, after reading the car seat lady page, for which im familiar with (car-seat blog website is great too), I am now a little concerned about two car seats in the second and a carsetless child outboard and certainly three carset across second row.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've also stored a 2nd row seat and put 1 kid in the 2nd and 1 kid in the 3rd. It makes for a great loading platform, especially when raining. Open the door, put the kids in, climb in, close the door, then fuss with all the buckles.
This is the configuration I use in my 8 passenger Touring-L plus.
I have two rear facing Diono Radian RXT seats for a 3 year old and 1 year old. One is in the second row passenger side and the other in the third row passenger side because the passenger side door is blocked when parked in my garage. I stow the driver side second row seat. This gives a nice big entry way area when loading and makes unloading easier especially if the child is asleep. The second row middle seat is installed but the seat back is folded down to get extra storage and a better view of the child in the second row from the third row.
There's enough space that the second row seat does not use the angle adjuster and the front passenger seat can still comfortably accommodate me at about 5'8". The third row seat needs the angle adjuster. I have the third row headrest folded down to get the child a better view out the car. But it does reduce her already limited leg room and bottom of the seat presses right up to it. Anyone know if it's easily removed?

I also tried a seat in the 2nd row center. But that was not stable due to the seat bottom being softer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's interesting that she is so detailed on the specifics but then says the ONLY 8 seater trim that has all the safety features she recommends is the Touring-L Plus. What does the Limited not have?
She shows a screenshot of the model comparison table and for some reason it shows 8 passenger seating is not an option for the Limited.
Another error is the picture showing the button that moves the fronts seats up for stow n go. She actually highlights the button to open/close the door.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
She shows a screenshot of the model comparison table and for some reason it shows 8 passenger seating is not an option for the Limited.
Another error is the picture showing the button that moves the fronts seats up for stow n go. She actually highlights the button to open/close the door.
It would be unfortunate if somebody crossed the Limited off their list based on her report.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have the third row headrest folded down to get the child a better view out the car. But it does reduce her already limited leg room and bottom of the seat presses right up to it. Anyone know if it's easily removed?
On the Limited at least, those 3rd row seats can recline, which would give you more room to work with for a rear-facing seat... you might be able to do that to get a bit more room.

If you want to remove them, fortunately enough there is a thread here on these forums specifically about that - http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/505-child-safety-car-seats/3866-remove-headrests-2nd-row.html

Lastly, you mentioned you left the 8th seat in (middle, 2nd row) for "better visibility of the 2nd row from the 3rd row" - I keep imagining this scenario in my head and I don't understand how this helps visibility... can you clarify?

I ask, because I have an almost identical setup to you and want to know if there is a better seat config than the one I'm picturing in my head :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
On the Limited at least, those 3rd row seats can recline, which would give you more room to work with for a rear-facing seat... you might be able to do that to get a bit more room.

If you want to remove them, fortunately enough there is a thread here on these forums specifically about that - http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/505-child-safety-car-seats/3866-remove-headrests-2nd-row.html

Lastly, you mentioned you left the 8th seat in (middle, 2nd row) for "better visibility of the 2nd row from the 3rd row" - I keep imagining this scenario in my head and I don't understand how this helps visibility... can you clarify?

I ask, because I have an almost identical setup to you and want to know if there is a better seat config than the one I'm picturing in my head :)
Rkalla, you can recline the 3rd row on the non limited as well.

As for the visibility and having the middle seat folded into hand rest/drink holder position just give the driver direct view to the 3rd car seat location instead of having to try to look OVER the 2nd row of seats when turning head or using mirror. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Rkalla, you can recline the 3rd row on the non limited as well.

As for the visibility and having the middle seat folded into hand rest/drink holder position just give the driver direct view to the 3rd car seat location instead of having to try to look OVER the 2nd row of seats when turning head or using mirror. That would be my guess.
Ahhhhh, I was assuming one would just take the middle seat out if the car entirely if you didn't need it - that makes more sense. THanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
You are the second person to mention that the stow-and-go bins aren't all that magical in reality due to stuff on the floor, so I just walked outside and look at the floor of our pilot and it's covered in books, pens, re-usable shopping bags and a blanket... so yea... I see what you mean :)

Out of curiosity when you say the 8th seat wasn't that important and wasn't used that much, did you live with the van while having newborn -> 3 year olds or were all of the 6 older?

We just took a roadtrip to Tucson today and my mother in law sat between the kids in the 2nd row of the pilot (where the 8th pass seat would be in a Pacifica) and she fed the infant and helped the 3 year old color most all of the trip... I'm just not sure how this plays out if we don't have a seat there... I guess my wife would be unbuckled and leaning forward most of the trip from the 3rd row? A bit more dangerous...
I havent had the 8th seat yet, there have been a handful of times when we wished for one though, but it was usually when we had 8 people.

We went from 0-4 kids in 4 months. I had a newborn and a 3-5-6 in our T&C. When we had a 3rd adult with us or if the infant was being fussy the adult would sit in the passenger 2nd row. This put the diaper bag in-between on the floor. The 3 in the back would entertain each other very well especially on long car rides. I can't imagine the 8th seat being all that comfy being right next to the RF. I also forsee lots of arguments with the 8th seat and 2 entertainment consoles...

In the end, the 8th seat has advantages, but in reality (for our family) it would only be useful every once in a while. I would rather have the cargo space between the seats (backpacks and coats always go there). I also would rather not have to force the kids to tilt the seats and climb around all the time so that 1 or 2 times a year we can sit an extra person. Your mileage may vary though.

EDIT:
Also today with a 5-8-10-11 group...I really need the space between the 5-8 boys :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you are using the anchors built into the seat I have found if you recline the seat back and tighten the anchor then return the seat back to the upright it gets seat strapped in really tight. Does not move at all

oh my god. so simple. how did I not think of this? You just made my life so much simpler. I don't have to jam my hulking frame into the van, kneel on the seat as hard as I can, and try to tighten the latch anymore.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I havent had the 8th seat yet, there have been a handful of times when we wished for one though, but it was usually when we had 8 people.

We went from 0-4 kids in 4 months. I had a newborn and a 3-5-6 in our T&C. When we had a 3rd adult with us or if the infant was being fussy the adult would sit in the passenger 2nd row. This put the diaper bag in-between on the floor. The 3 in the back would entertain each other very well especially on long car rides. I can't imagine the 8th seat being all that comfy being right next to the RF. I also forsee lots of arguments with the 8th seat and 2 entertainment consoles...

In the end, the 8th seat has advantages, but in reality (for our family) it would only be useful every once in a while. I would rather have the cargo space between the seats (backpacks and coats always go there). I also would rather not have to force the kids to tilt the seats and climb around all the time so that 1 or 2 times a year we can sit an extra person. Your mileage may vary though.

EDIT:
Also today with a 5-8-10-11 group...I really need the space between the 5-8 boys :)
I got the 8th seat knowing that I will not use it all too often, but when the time comes, I will have it available. Also, if we have another child (#5) we can make it work. The 8 seat folded down does provide decent armrest and two cup holders. It removes really easily and is rather light in comparison. The downside is you lose the inboard arm rests on each captain chairs. so with the 8th seat out, they will have no place to rest their arms. As the driver I am ok with this :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
You are the second person to mention that the stow-and-go bins aren't all that magical in reality due to stuff on the floor, so I just walked outside and look at the floor of our pilot and it's covered in books, pens, re-usable shopping bags and a blanket... so yea... I see what you mean :)

Out of curiosity when you say the 8th seat wasn't that important and wasn't used that much, did you live with the van while having newborn -> 3 year olds or were all of the 6 older?
We had an 07 Odyssey for a couple years. During that time, our kids were 0-2, 2-4, and 5-7. We had the 8th passenger seat. It lived in the garage. I don't think it was used even one time. Oh, and we hated the Odyssey (I can say that on a Pacifica forum, right?) so we replaced it with an 09 Town and Country. In our T&C we have the swivel and go seating. As a result, we have never experienced the benefit of stow and go for the seat. As a matter of fact, my wife was looking forward to having that in our replacement and now I am trying to hold out for a hybrid. Go figure. But, in the 8 years we have had the T&C (which we love) the storage for the stow and go has only been used a handful of times. It is a hassle to access, as others have said, has to be dug out, and then seems to accumulate sand over time.

I hope that helps,

Lee

·
Registered
81 Posts
We had an 07 Odyssey for a couple years. During that time, our kids were 0-2, 2-4, and 5-7. We had the 8th passenger seat. It lived in the garage. I don't think it was used even one time. Oh, and we hated the Odyssey (I can say that on a Pacifica forum, right?) so we replaced it with an 09 Town and Country. In our T&C we have the swivel and go seating. As a result, we have never experienced the benefit of stow and go for the seat. As a matter of fact, my wife was looking forward to having that in our replacement and now I am trying to hold out for a hybrid. Go figure. But, in the 8 years we have had the T&C (which we love) the storage for the stow and go has only been used a handful of times. It is a hassle to access, as others have said, has to be dug out, and then seems to accumulate sand over time.

I hope that helps,

Lee
See here is where I whip out the reality card and wait for people to gasp in horror.
Dream: Buy 8th seat for sitting people conveniently and safely.
Reality: When we need an extra seat we stack the backpacks or sit on the floor while the 8th seat gathers dust in the garage and holds my leafblower.

·
Registered
114 Posts
See here is where I whip out the reality card and wait for people to gasp in horror.
Dream: Buy 8th seat for sitting people conveniently and safely.
Reality: When we need an extra seat we stack the backpacks or sit on the floor while the 8th seat gathers dust in the garage and holds my leafblower.
And then you forget to take it with you when you trade the vehicle and end up with a seat that you can never use.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Road tripped it to Tucson as well this weekend. 2 adults, 2 kids, dog, big stroller and gear. First time we used the stow and go and it was awesome having. Each compartment allowed us to have 1 bag disappear. Like I mentioned before, stow and go for us will be for the trips, not daily use. Our configuration on our trip: moved the 1 yo forward facing to 3rd row, and i sat in 2nd row to play my NES classic... I highly recommend that set up :) Owning a 7 seater, I agree with what others have said that having the space between the two captain's chairs is the best for us to put stuff for daily use, bags, coolers, etc.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Road tripped it to Tucson as well this weekend. 2 adults, 2 kids, dog, big stroller and gear. First time we used the stow and go and it was awesome having. Each compartment allowed us to have 1 bag disappear. Like I mentioned before, stow and go for us will be for the trips, not daily use. Our configuration on our trip: moved the 1 yo forward facing to 3rd row, and i sat in 2nd row to play my NES classic... I highly recommend that set up :) Owning a 7 seater, I agree with what others have said that having the space between the two captain's chairs is the best for us to put stuff for daily use, bags, coolers, etc.
we go camping a lot so I envision using the bins a lot. They can even be used as an ice chest if you have the plastic bin liner. I tow a pop up trailer and while I do prep the fridge it is rather difficult to store items that we buy in there once the top is closed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
vacuum

I have a battery operated black and decker dustbuster that I use for touchups I use it inbetween the autowash vac for touch ups.I pay about 50.00 dollars a month for my car wash which Ican use once a day iff I so desire and also get free vacuums.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts