2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the PacHy club with a 2018 limited. I have owned a Nissan Leaf and still own a volt, so I loved the idea of a plugin hybrid minivan. I am however kind of disappointed that Chrysler didn't allow me to decide when to use gas engine (freeway driving) and when to use battery mode (in city driving). Some older Volt owners were looking into ways to enable "hold mode" by exploiting the loophole that whenever the hood sensor detects an open, the engine will kick-in so that smog check machine can get result from the tailpipe. Anyone know if there's such a thing in pacHy? Another way is to trick the temp sensor into thinking outside temperature is cold, but that one can have unintended consequences if the HV batteries thermal coolant (pacHy has one right?) relies on that also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
From what I understand (though I haven't actually tested it) if the hood is open the ICE will run. Why would you want to do this though as opposed to having the van operate in hybrid mode? There are no hacks that I know of that will make the car strictly run on electric besides having the outside temp above 40F and keeping from flooring the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I tried disconnecting the underhood switch once. The ICE stopped running when the van started to move and a MIL popped up. I didn't know that the switch has a resistor in parallel with it, and it should remain in circuit. Maybe when done properly the ICE will stay on and the MIL will not light.

·
Registered
526 Posts
From what I understand (though I haven't actually tested it) if the hood is open the ICE will run. Why would you want to do this though as opposed to having the van operate in hybrid mode? There are no hacks that I know of that will make the car strictly run on electric besides having the outside temp above 40F and keeping from flooring the gas pedal.
That would be my question as well. Why would you want to force the van to run in ICE mode? Conserving the electric only mode for in-town driving is probably not going to make a significant change in efficiency overall. However, I am all for giving the end user more control over the operation of the vehicle so I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to Chrysler giving us the choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would use it on trips I knew I would exhaust the battery where:
There was significant elevation increases. The battery gets chewed up going up long steep inclines, good to use gas here and save the battery.
It was cold out, I'd want to use gas first to get the cabin warm then switch to battery to maintain cabin temp. At 7kW, heating the cabin uses that battery quick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a highway commute to work and most days it's fine, but there are the occasional days when I come home and then spend the evening running chores on city streets. It would be nice to have ICE on the highway where it's more efficient and battery in the city where it's more efficient. Even if they left things the way there are for regular use and an option setting for power users that would be great.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I tried disconnecting the underhood switch once. The ICE stopped running when the van started to move and a MIL popped up. I didn't know that the switch has a resistor in parallel with it, and it should remain in circuit. Maybe when done properly the ICE will stay on and the MIL will not light.
Nope tried with the hood popped. Turns off around 10 mph

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Nope tried with the hood popped. Turns off around 10 mph
The only hack no one tried is messing with the temperature sensor to trick the ECU into the winter mode when it would need to warm up the engine. Even if it will work, the air/fuel mixture may be adjusted and the fuel economy will suffer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Driving my car 40 miles to the airport and parking it for a month would be an ideal reason to use the ICE first and hold HV battery capacity. I could leave a reasonable charge level on the HV battery so that it could automatically charge the 12V bat when needed. And as hard as it is to imagine, there may be times when I want to arrive at a destination more than 40 miles away and NOT use the ICE, which makes noise and exhaust gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts