2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking (oh thanks for all the awesome discussions, I've been lurking around for a while), is there some way to fool PacHy into running ICE instead of electric? I know there's no "EV/ICE Mode", but maybe there's some way to fool it? Temp sensor override? or has anyone tinkered with how the ECU gets a signal to kick in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funny you should ask!

If you pop the hood the ICE will start but I would not recommend doing that while driving. That also charges the high voltage battery.

The switch that controls that is in plain view when you pop the hood. The switch shorts out a 1000 ohm resistor that is right on the bottom of the switch at the end of the wiring harness.

I was half thinking of doing a test to see what happens if you do that while driving on a lonely country road with a remote switch inside the van.

But................I asked myself WHY?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks... That would have been a neat little mod. Has anyone tried to figure out how the ECU is getting a signal to kick in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think this would be a very handy feature to have. I live quite close to a highway, so I would like to run the ICE all the way from my house so the engine has a chance to warm up before I have to hit expressway speeds. And that way I can save battery power for when I arrive in town to maximize fuel-efficiency.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I know someone with more curiosity than common sense who tried this approach. With the switch disconnected the ICE stops soon after the van starts moving. MIL comes up in a short while.
You said “with the switch disconnected” but it was mentioned that the switch shorts a 1000 ohm resistor. To me, this means that the switch is designed so that the control unit can tell if it’s disconnected. In other words, there are three states that can be sensed; practically 0 ohms (hood open), 1000 ohms (hood closed), and practically infinite resistance (switch disconnected or tampered with). Could it be that if you actually disconnected the switch (infinite resistance) the control unit threw an error assuming that the switch had been disconnected?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think this would be a very handy feature to have. I live quite close to a highway, so I would like to run the ICE all the way from my house so the engine has a chance to warm up before I have to hit expressway speeds. And that way I can save battery power for when I arrive in town to maximize fuel-efficiency.
I preheat the engine sometimes when I know i’ll be running hybrid mode soon with a rapid press of the accelerator and lift to current demand.

There is an emergency response action programmed into the accelerator program that watches accelerator travel speed.

If it detect lots of throttle very quickly it starts the engine. You can lift before the power train actually reacts to it.

It’s annoying pulling onto my hoist at work because sometimes a little stab is what it takes to get over the bump and I start my engine.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The switch as it is mounted under the hood and the underside of the switch showing the resistor.
Thank you.
I disconnected the switch without removing it and didn't have a chance to see the resistor.
I just turn on both front and rear defrosters and the ICE turns on and stays on until I turn them off.
I didn't know about this method, thanks!
When forcing the ICE start with a short tap on the pedal the van still rides mostly on the electric power (if the Hybrid uConnect screen to be believed).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since this is the first of the new year I decided to get brave and try a few things. It was cold up here in Ontario this morning so after a drive to the mall to warm things up I tried the following. Left the house with 100% battery and when I got to the mall it was 80%.

In park pop open the hood ICE fires up within a few seconds. Battery starts to charge at about 8 kw and the climate control is making things nice and toasty.

Hood is being held down by the safety catch so being the brave person that I am I put the van into drive mode and started driving slowly across the parking lot.

ICE stops! GRRRRRRRRR! I stop...............ICE still doesn't restart...................Another GRRRRRRRR! Apply brake and put van into Park and the ICE starts up again.

So much for that idea!

After a little shoplifting I returned to the home garage popped the hood again and the ICE started again.

Plugged the level 2 Juicebox in and nothing happens. No charge! Close hood charging starts.

Looks like these FCA folk have done a little homework to keep us all safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts