2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to take delivery of a 20 Pacy, and in the future the wife is thinking she wants to go the Tesla route. So I would like to purchase a Level 2 charger for the house, something like the Juice box, but I don't see the need to have 2 chargers when the van takes 2 hours, and I can just swap out to her car. Does anybody have a recommendation that works well for either vehicle. I see allot of PHEV like the juicebox so I was leaning that way, but not sure how it plays with the T and Pacy. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just about to take delivery of a 20 Pacy, and in the future the wife is thinking she wants to go the Tesla route. So I would like to purchase a Level 2 charger for the house, something like the Juice box, but I don't see the need to have 2 chargers when the van takes 2 hours, and I can just swap out to her car. Does anybody have a recommendation that works well for either vehicle. I see allot of PHEV like the juicebox so I was leaning that way, but not sure how it plays with the T and Pacy. Thanks ahead of time.
I have a Juicebox Pro 40, and I've used it with the Pacifica, our Tesla Model 3, and our Fusion Energi. It works perfectly with all three.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As long as it has the right plug, any EVSE should work as far as I understand. I thought Teslas had a different plug than the J1772, though?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as it has the right plug, any EVSE should work as far as I understand. I thought Teslas had a different plug than the J1772, though?
Tesla does have a different plug so you can get an adapter then plug in the Tesla, I'm going to hit up the Tesla forums and see how they like the juicebox, I probably should have done that first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Tesla model 3 and a 2018 pachy.

I installed a tesla wall charger for the tesla, mostly for its convenience (no adapter needed, and the charger can open /close the charging door of the tesla).

For the pachy, I use the stock level 1 charger that comes with the car. Since the battery is much smaller, I haven't had the need to use a level 2 charger on it at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have a 2012 Tesla, so we installed the Tesla wall charger first but also bought a J1772 adapter in case we wanted to charge away from home. We added a level 2 charger for my PacHy when we got it at the end of 2017. If we had it to do over, I'd probably have just installed the level 2 and used for both cars.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm in the same situation, and have two chargers installed. It's really the best solution, though not necessary in any sense of the word. My Tesla came with a mobile 240V charger that I've wall mounted. Yours will likely have one too, so you don't need to purchase a EVSE for the Tesla, just install the wiring, plug in, and you're good to go.

If you share a EVSE, you might have to switch parking spots which is a bit of a pain - the van will almost always need a charge when you get home because of its small battery. Also, using an adapter on the Tesla is not a big problem, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with it. The Tesla charger opens the charge port door, as @westaf2000 mentioned above. If you set up a schedule and leave it plugged in, which Tesla recommends, the vehicle will have preconditioned the battery and cabin so you're good to go in the morning. Too bad the Pachy doesn't have this feature.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, for your feedback, I'm having some estimates, I may just have them install a 2nd Nema outlet at the same time, as it would be nice to leave the T plugged in for the wife, my thought was the van takes 2 hours and I drive 16 miles round trip by the time the van was charged I would just leave her car plugged in. I guess I'll see with pricing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 2019 PacHy and a Model X on a JuiceBox 32. It works great. As for the parking space and shared charger, the PacHy gets the space and priority. Then every 5 or 6 days the X gets the charger for the night. No big deal.

Also, all Teslas come with a J adaptor and the mobile charger that comes with a Tesla will do 32 amps with the correct plug. It comes with a NEMA 5-15 for 12A 120v charging, but for $35 you can get a 14-50 plug and do 32A 220v charging. There are a few other plugs you can get too...NEMA 6-20 and a few more.

Edit: I should mention, the JuiceBox died a week ago after a year of ownership. The warranty replacement was quick and easy. They shipped a new unit with a prepaid label, put the old unit in the new one’s box, and dropped it off at a UPS store.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Someone on the PacHy facebook page has a Tesla Level 2 High Power Wall Charger (HPWC, aka Destination Charger) and a Tesla Tap (aka JDapter Stub) to be able to use the HPWC with the PacHy. The Tesla Tap is normally a pricey proposition just to use it with Tesla destination chargers but if you can get the HPWC cheap (free?), it might be the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts