2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car less than a week and have had two instances of the tailgate not automatically closing using any of the options, button inside the rear, the key fob and the button in the front. Didn't matter if the car was on or off.

After I closed it manually it worked fine again. Anyone know what may be causing this?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I've had the car less than a week and have had two instances of the tailgate not automatically closing using any of the options, button inside the rear, the key fob and the button in the front. Didn't matter if the car was on or off.

After I closed it manually it worked fine again. Anyone know what may be causing this?
That was one of the two glitches on my van that were cured by software updates. My dealer did them, and I don't know the details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I also have the same problem. It only happen when I left the tailgate open for longer period of times, like unloading lots of groceries. It also happened when I am trying to show off the car to friends that are interest in buy a Pacifica Hybrid, after the tour of the car, the tailgate won't close and I have to close it by hand.

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
271 Posts
Sounds like a timing-out issue. For me, it happens when I need to stop travel to avoid hitting the garage door above it. My C-Max has a height memory setting with instructions located on the lift gate (nice).

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yes, I also have the same problem. It only happen when I left the tailgate open for longer period of times, like unloading lots of groceries. It also happened when I am trying to show off the car to friends that are interest in buy a Pacifica Hybrid, after the tour of the car, the tailgate won't close and I have to close it by hand.
That exactly describes my issue I had. It is fixed with a software update. There is no good reason for the timeout.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica hybrid Limited with Safety package and Theater package
75 Posts
Same problem here. I let the tailgate open all the way and left it open for a minute, and then the button to close wouldn’t work anymore.
Is the software update something we can do at home?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have experienced this issue on my ‘21. I found something online the other day, I can’t recall where, but it is basically a known issue. I think it even is mentioned in the owner’s manual according to the piece I read. Essentially Chrysler wrote, “don’t leave you lift gate open too long or this happens.” It was not designed to do this, but it’s also not been fixed. Unless what the poster above mentioned about a software update fixing it is true. If I can find the article again, I’ll repost it.

Reactions: kriley9386

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica hybrid Limited with Safety package and Theater package
75 Posts
I too have experienced this issue on my ‘21. I found something online the other day, I can’t recall where, but it is basically a known issue. I think it even is mentioned in the owner’s manual according to the piece I read. Essentially Chrysler wrote, “don’t leave you lift gate open too long or this happens.” It was not designed to do this, but it’s also not been fixed. Unless what the poster above mentioned about a software update fixing it is true. If I can find the article again, I’ll repost it.
That is so ridiculous. The sliding doors work just fine after leaving them open for a while. So I would expect the rear hatch to behave the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is so ridiculous. The sliding doors work just fine after leaving them open for a while. So I would expect the rear hatch to behave the same.
Yeah, I agree. Even though it’s this supposed known issue, I never had this happen once on my ‘20. For me the time it happens the other day, I had I only left it open like 3 mins while unloading. Yes, yes, big picture, these are just machines to get us from A to B, but it’d be nice for the thing to work practically. You know like being able to close the trunk, or continue playing a DVD for the offspring after making a pit stop (see the weird UConnect remote lock out issues)

·
Registered
2021 Maximum Steel Pacifica Hybrid Limited
50 Posts
This happened with the first 21 Pacifica Hybrid I test drove. It was not a good sign. Now it happens on the one I bought. So I guess in a way it is nice to see that it isn't just my "magical touch" but also disappointing that this is something that is happening to so many of us.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Didn't have this issue with our 2020, but does happen intermittently with our 2021 so far. Le sigh

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
610 Posts
I notice this happening on our ICE version when we are at canine scent work trials. Rear hatch and sliders are open for hours to get fresh air to our golden retrievers in their kennels. Close it manually. Works all of the other times.

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the tailgate on my '21 Hybrid Limited after leaving it opened for about 10-15 minutes with power turned off to offload stuff. Tried side sliding doors at the time and they worked fine, but had to manually close the tailgate since all other methods didn't work (i.e rear button in tailgate, overhead driver console button & remote). Car was charging, restarted it and now it all works fine. This is the only issue I've had with this car in short time of ownership, which has been great otherwise.

To those that got software update, what were the specifics so I can take to dealer for a quick repair visit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
as others mentioned, i've had a situation when i had the gate open for like 20 minutes and pressing the button wouldn't work to close the boot. i blame the software engs, cant properly manage state/maintain runtime

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to go to the dealer today to pick up a floor mat but I'm going to meet with the service team on this issue. Was anyone able to get it resolved on a '21 PACHY or is there no software patch?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts