2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, Chrysler needs to fix this quickly. But, let's hit the Pause Button. This not a serious issue. It is nowhere near a serious issue. Most of us have lived for many years manually opening hatches and trunks. If your car doesn't start, that's a serious issue. The transmission eats its gears, that's a serious issue. If your snowflake melts . . . ;)
Hello,
My first post here. Gotta say, I love my 21 Pac Pin except for the rear hatch issue. I have never heard of anything so dumb to have this thing time out "Sporadically". I have to contest the quote above, my wife is 4' 11" and comes up about 6" shy of reaching the hatch. Therefore in my mind, this has turned into a safety and security issue for her. With children, using the side doors is a no go for groceries and more. Otherwise, what did I buy a Chrysler Pacifica for?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have never heard of anything so dumb to have this thing time out "Sporadically".
I think what crosses the line is that they documented this in the owner's manual:

If the liftgate is left open for an extended period of time, the liftgate may need to be closed manually to reset power liftgate functionality.

So this is known AND EXPECTED behavior. In other words, some pointy-haired boss decided to declare it "working as intended" and wash his hands of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
My first post here. Gotta say, I love my 21 Pac Pin except for the rear hatch issue. I have never heard of anything so dumb to have this thing time out "Sporadically". I have to contest the quote above, my wife is 4' 11" and comes up about 6" shy of reaching the hatch. Therefore in my mind, this has turned into a safety and security issue for her. With children, using the side doors is a no go for groceries and more. Otherwise, what did I buy a Chrysler Pacifica for?
I completely agree. One of the things that we actually APPRECIATED is that they put the lift gate button INSIDE and not out of reach on the gate itself! Whats the point of relocating the button to SPECIFICALLY make it easier to reach if it doesn't work?!. SMH. This is our first Chrysler and previously had 3 Toyota Siennas that were absolutely issue free. I hope this isn't the beginning of a laundry list of stupid things.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This is our first Chrysler and previously had 3 Toyota Siennas that were absolutely issue free. I hope this isn't the beginning of a laundry list of stupid things.
I'm tempted to find the Sienna forums and hear what they have to say about the new ones.

My guess is, these rolling smartphones ALL have the same level of quirks. As long as it's not major functionality or stranding you at the side of the road, I'm thinking all companies have lowered the bar and are effectively making us beta testers for these products.

I can imagine executives putting things like this into categories, and telling themselves that "it could be worse, at least it's not the VW coil pack disaster".

Reactions: Jsternth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only because I have a bit of an active audience at the moment, would those of you let me know 2 things:
1.) Are you able to LOCK the car with the lift gate OPEN? I am - with NO error or audible chime.
2.) Are you able to put the car in drive or reverse and BEGIN driving with the sliding doors open? We are, again with no audible chime and just the tiny red door indicator on the dash.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid
11 Posts
I was trying to find a simple workaround until Chrysler got this fixed (we are scheduled to take it in on June 1). Ive also had a hard time duplicating the problem, it works fine for me 90% of the time but seems to work with my wife about 10% of the time.
I wanted to find a way to duplicate it every single time so that when my wife took the van in they would not say that they could not duplicate it.
When it messed up on me I found that If you activate the latch with the shaft of a screwdriver while the door is open (when its not closing properly) the latch will close and cinch itself and the door will work again but when you push the button beside the door or use the fob it tries to go up and not down because it thinks its down. So the latch resets the computer but the door has to be pushed down when latching so that it knows where its at. It counts pulses when you go up and then when you go down it counts the other way this is how it knows where up or down is as far as I can tell. This is very similar to the way a servo works.I think the problem occurs when it goes up and counts those pulses and stops, sometimes the nitrogen lift cylinder on the left side keeps pushing it farther open. Prior to discovering this I tested it thinking that it was not opening all the way so I deliberately held the door slightly down and could not get it to time out. Later I tried to push the door up deliberately and it timed out fairly quickly, less than 2 minutes. I don't know the full inner workings of the circuitry but if its like a servo drive it may be trying to maintain its open position and since it senses an error. it then keeps trying to come back down slightly. This could run the 12 volt battery down quickly so Chrysler programmed it to time out when it sensed that the door was not exactly in position for a while. I suspect they could just use the door close button to reset the control thru software. There should definitely be a better way to reset this without having to manually shut the door.

Chrysler are you listening?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm, I had a thought, my $300 garage door opener knows where top and bottom is, my $200 desktop printer know where left and right is and when they get confused, I just clear what the sensors detect, press the button again and what do you know, if fixes it self... So, why can't a multi $10,000 machine do this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think what crosses the line is that they documented this in the owner's manual:

If the liftgate is left open for an extended period of time, the liftgate may need to be closed manually to reset power liftgate functionality.

So this is known AND EXPECTED behavior. In other words, some pointy-haired boss decided to declare it "working as intended" and wash his hands of it.
Exactly, because everybody sits down and reads the 250+ page manual before signing on the dotted line... That pointy-haired boss surly doesn't have to worry about covid-19 with as clean as his/her hands are. LOL

·
Registered
955 Posts
because everybody sits down and reads the 250+ page manual before signing on the dotted line...
frankly, one should do that.

And Chrysler makes it VERY easy, with the manual available to all comers on their web site.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,263 Posts
Exactly, because everybody sits down and reads the 250+ page manual before signing on the dotted line... That pointy-haired boss surly doesn't have to worry about covid-19 with as clean as his/her hands are. LOL
Modern cars are not like the 'old days' where you can just jump in and drive anything. Obviously, not everyone is going to download a manual for every car they are researching. But once you do plunk down all that money, it is worth the time to find out how everything works.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Modern cars are not like the 'old days' where you can just jump in and drive anything.
True story: a friend of mine recounted a time when she and a friend got a rental at the airport--a 2nd gen Prius. They had NO idea how to start it, let alone make it go. She said it took them half an hour to figure it out.

On the flip side of this, my 22 year old son--who hates to learn anything or be told anything--has driven nothing BUT a 2nd gen base model (fleet, never sold on the retail market) Prius. As a result, he has NO idea how to get into any other car and operate it.

Frankly, I'm all for some specifications on how cars operate, for just this sake.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
True story: a friend of mine recounted a time when she and a friend got a rental at the airport--a 2nd gen Prius. They had NO idea how to start it, let alone make it go. She said it took them half an hour to figure it out.

On the flip side of this, my 22 year old son--who hates to learn anything or be told anything--has driven nothing BUT a 2nd gen base model (fleet, never sold on the retail market) Prius. As a result, he has NO idea how to get into any other car and operate it.

Frankly, I'm all for some specifications on how cars operate, for just this sake.
I'm curious how some of the younger people today would react to be given an actual car key. The one where you have to start the car with the key itself, and have to learn to release the key once the engine fires up? What would be even more interesting would be to include a manual transmission along with that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My daughter's GTI is a base model that uses a key. So she's OK. My son...we had to teach him.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid
11 Posts
Update on lift gate not closing:
As someone stated, Forums are usually dominated by people who are having issues.
Let me make myself clear for those viewing this Forum, I love this van and we are getting incredible gas mileage, it rides great and smooth and is very quiet. I am not here to bash this van but was only hoping to find solutions to the liftgate problem and to share with others what I have learned or tried. I'm also hoping Chrysler is viewing this. Most of my wife's driving is within the 32 mile electric only range and since we charge it every night she rarely needs to buy gas unless we go on an extended road trip. This is the main feature I like about this van and the main reason I bought it instead of Honda or Toyota etc..
We took it to the a Chrysler dealer nearer to us (not where we purchased it) and it just happened to fail when they first looked at it. They put a computer on it and it showed an error in the lift gate pinch sensors. They did not attempt to fix it right then and wanted us to leave it so we did for 2 days but we were still in a long line of cars to be repaired/serviced and it would be 2 or 3 more days before they could even get a technician to look at it. I picked the car up and drove it home. I tried the door when I got home but it worked fine. I tried holding the pinch sensor to simulate a pinch sensor failure (sticking closed) but it did not time out after 2 minutes of holding it closed. ( It might have timed out after a little longer) I left it open for about an hour (I was not holding the pinch sensor at this point) and it finally timed out and would not close. I put my code reader on it but it gave no error codes. Again the only way to reset it was to manually close it. My wife will be taking it in to the dealer we purchased it from on Tuesday, they agreed to work on it while she is there and if they cannot fix it they will give her a loaner car.
I suspected the pinch sensors earlier but have deliberately tried on 2 occasions to hold them in for a while but may not be giving it long enough. This would make sense because if the pinch sensors are sticking the engineers would probably lock out the ability to shut the lift gate to prevent injuries. I know they work because if I trigger them while the door is closing it will reverse and go back up as intended. Sounds like they may be having trouble with these sensors intermittently sticking but I have not been able to simulate the problem.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid
11 Posts
Update: Took van in to dealership and left it. they called back and said it was ready, we picked it up and 2 days later its doing the same thing.
The service report mentioned several DTC error codes all of which were related to the liftgate. They found a problem in a connector that connected the liftgate wiring into the vehicle wiring harness, connector XY551 A, it made sense being all of those sensors come thru that connector but unfortunately its back to the same problem as before. No answer from Chrysler on why the liftgate times out to begin with even when there are no issues I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,263 Posts
Check this post for the TSB that was for the lift gate issue. And a couple of posts further down, it was confirmed that the lift gate issue seems fixed.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Check this post for the TSB that was for the lift gate issue. And a couple of posts further down, it was confirmed that the lift gate issue seems fixed.

Took mine in today for this TSB. My dealer had no info about the TSB and they contacted Mopar. Mopar told them they had no info on it either. But the service manager came out and plugged his wiTECH reader in and on the PLGM (power liftgate module) there was a green lighting bolt showing up for an update. He did the update on the spot while we were standing in the service advisor area and had me on my way in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
So it's been a couple months now. I haven't had a tailgate time out issue since I originally posted this until this past week but admittedly this time the tailgate was open for at least 20 mins as I was packing up the car for a road trip and I also got a notification that the pre-conditioning of the cabin was cancelled because of a law battery (I'm assuming the 12v b/c the hybrid battery was full). In any event, it hasn't been much of an issue since I posted. Just another quirk.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Good Afternoon,

The TSB below that address the tailgate timing out.
Please feel free to follow up with us privately if there's any questions.

Lamar
Chrysler Cares

101 - 120 of 146 Posts