2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Anyone have issues with the tailgate not closing?

76K views 179 replies 78 participants last post by  ChryslerCares 
#1 ·
I've had the car less than a week and have had two instances of the tailgate not automatically closing using any of the options, button inside the rear, the key fob and the button in the front. Didn't matter if the car was on or off.

After I closed it manually it worked fine again. Anyone know what may be causing this?

#3 ·
That was one of the two glitches on my van that were cured by software updates. My dealer did them, and I don't know the details.

#4 ·
Yes, I also have the same problem. It only happen when I left the tailgate open for longer period of times, like unloading lots of groceries. It also happened when I am trying to show off the car to friends that are interest in buy a Pacifica Hybrid, after the tour of the car, the tailgate won't close and I have to close it by hand.

#7 ·
That exactly describes my issue I had. It is fixed with a software update. There is no good reason for the timeout.

#53 ·
Correct, I have the same issue if I stop the door when opening to avoid hitting the garage door, it will not close automatically. I assume this is an intentional logic in the system.

#9 ·
I too have experienced this issue on my ‘21. I found something online the other day, I can’t recall where, but it is basically a known issue. I think it even is mentioned in the owner’s manual according to the piece I read. Essentially Chrysler wrote, “don’t leave you lift gate open too long or this happens.” It was not designed to do this, but it’s also not been fixed. Unless what the poster above mentioned about a software update fixing it is true. If I can find the article again, I’ll repost it.

#13 ·
This happened with the first 21 Pacifica Hybrid I test drove. It was not a good sign. Now it happens on the one I bought. So I guess in a way it is nice to see that it isn't just my "magical touch" but also disappointing that this is something that is happening to so many of us.

Reactions: kriley9386
#15 ·
I notice this happening on our ICE version when we are at canine scent work trials. Rear hatch and sliders are open for hours to get fresh air to our golden retrievers in their kennels. Close it manually. Works all of the other times.

#17 ·
Same thing happened to me with the tailgate on my '21 Hybrid Limited after leaving it opened for about 10-15 minutes with power turned off to offload stuff. Tried side sliding doors at the time and they worked fine, but had to manually close the tailgate since all other methods didn't work (i.e rear button in tailgate, overhead driver console button & remote). Car was charging, restarted it and now it all works fine. This is the only issue I've had with this car in short time of ownership, which has been great otherwise.

To those that got software update, what were the specifics so I can take to dealer for a quick repair visit?

#56 ·
Same thing happened to me with the tailgate on my '21 Hybrid Limited after leaving it opened for about 10-15 minutes with power turned off to offload stuff. Tried side sliding doors at the time and they worked fine, but had to manually close the tailgate since all other methods didn't work (i.e rear button in tailgate, overhead driver console button & remote). Car was charging, restarted it and now it all works fine. This is the only issue I've had with this car in short time of ownership, which has been great otherwise.

To those that got software update, what were the specifics so I can take to dealer for a quick repair visit?
My experience with ‘21 Hybrid is exactly the same as PNW. If it happens again, I will close manually instead of trying every other method.
We would all love to see a solution.

#21 ·
The liftgate power close time out is noted in the manual.

If the liftgate is left open for an extended period of time,
the liftgate may need to be closed manually to reset
power liftgate functionality.

Although there is no indication of how long this time out is supposed to be. So I can't see any reason for Chrysler to fix something that is not broken.

#24 ·
Just got back from the dealership and the service guy said this is the first he has heard of it. At first he tried to explain it as a time out issue but while there I left the lift gate open maybe 3 minutes and then he witnessed that it would not close and agreed it should not time out so quickly. He is going to follow up with the mother ship and get back to me. I'll update when I hear back.

#25 ·
Since the 2019 software fix, mine has never refused to close, even after the interior lights timed out, and when left open for several hours.

#27 ·
Just bought my 21 Hybrid Limited yesterday and took it to the market today. After taking out my three bags, three minutes later the hatch had timed out and I had to shut it manually. That can’t be intentional but with Chrysler anything is possible. By the way I also noted that there is no daytime running light LED strip in the headlight module like in previous models. Now the headlights just stay on all the time. I feel a little cheated.

#31 ·
From page 68 of Owners Manual. Perhaps your DRLs aren’t turned on? Perhaps you are checking while the parking break is activated? Did you buy your car in Canada?

I don’t think the headlights are the DRLs, but rather the white C shaped border of the headlamp assembly. I think this is on all trim levels.

Font Parallel Document Number Screenshot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.