2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Anyone else get a different answer on this? Chrysler told me that the dial doesn't do anything in my model. I find it odd -- I do have an extra PWM dimmer which I may try retrofitting once the warranty is expired.
Do you have a Touring or Touring L (leather seats)? If you put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP it might help us answer your questions.
In my 2017 Touring L, the roller switch on the right controls the interior lighting and dash brightness and can completely turn on or off the interior lights if you click past the rolling part at either end.

The rolling switch on the left controls the brightness of the ambient lights (light by the door handle and a tiny rectangular light in the overhead console plus a few other lights). To more easily see the ambient lighting (if equipped), turn on the parking lights and ACC (accessory mode). To see how much variation in brightness there is you may need to sit in a dark garage or check at night.

It is possible that a Touring doesn't have ambient lighting, so the left roller switch may be useless. They just didn't want to make a plug for that space to put in place of a roller switch. The Touring came out after the initial roll out of the Pacificas and the manuals aren't always as updated as one would hope.

As far as kids playing with the overhead lights, shades, etc., once the curiosity of the van features wear off, it shouldn't be as much of a problem. If it continues to be a problem, then it is a discipline issue and they will need to learn what the rules of the van are. You could tell older children that it is distracting to have the lights on at night and for them to ask permission to turn lights on. For a smaller child you could try a different place in the van or a carseat that doesn't allow him/her to reach the light switch. Kids will learn what is acceptable behavior. Better to start working on problem behaviors now. If you really want children to have lights on in the van at night, then you may have to accept that the lights are bright.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you have a Touring or Touring L (leather seats)? If you put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP it might help us answer your questions.
In my 2017 Touring L, the roller switch on the right controls the interior lighting and dash brightness and can completely turn on or off the interior lights if you click past the rolling part at either end.

The rolling switch on the left controls the brightness of the ambient lights (light by the door handle and a tiny rectangular light in the overhead console plus a few other lights). To more easily see the ambient lighting (if equipped), turn on the parking lights and ACC (accessory mode). To see how much variation in brightness there is you may need to sit in a dark garage or check at night.

It is possible that a Touring doesn't have ambient lighting, so the left roller switch may be useless. They just didn't want to make a plug for that space to put in place of a roller switch. The Touring came out after the initial roll out of the Pacificas and the manuals aren't always as updated as one would hope.

As far as kids playing with the overhead lights, shades, etc., once the curiosity of the van features wear off, it shouldn't be as much of a problem. If it continues to be a problem, then it is a discipline issue and they will need to learn what the rules of the van are. You could tell older children that it is distracting to have the lights on at night and for them to ask permission to turn lights on. For a smaller child you could try a different place in the van or a carseat that doesn't allow him/her to reach the light switch. Kids will learn what is acceptable behavior. Better to start working on problem behaviors now. If you really want children to have lights on in the van at night, then you may have to accept that the lights are bright.

You sound like a teacher!! I recognize it. I married one!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I also have this issue and it is both annoying and dumb.
A VIN doesn't tell forum members much. Year, trim (Touring L), gas/hybrid does. The VIN goes to ChryslerCares in a private message. You can edit your post within 24 hours or so and remove the VIN. You can put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP and it will be there all the time. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A VIN doesn't tell forum members much. Year, trim (Touring L), gas/hybrid does. The VIN goes to ChryslerCares in a private message. You can edit your post within 24 hours or so and remove the VIN. You can put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP and it will be there all the time. Welcome to the forum.

Well, it does tell us he owns a 2017 gas LX, but it would be a heck of a lot easier if he put that information in his signature line and it unnecessarily publicly exposes his specific vehicle details. I also wonder which issue he has, bright rear lights or perceived ineffective ambient lighting controls?

·
Registered
199 Posts
https://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=2C4RC1CG8HR704851

...tells a lot about it, but profile info is easier.

So, I tried mine out last night. That dial does change the 'ambient lighting' but it is just a very slim difference, full vs. minimum is not much difference. I liked the lighting in our '15 GC; it was green (or blue? can't recall anymore) and the intensity was noticeable along the dimmer travel path. It doesn't do much in the Pac for sure.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You would be forgiven for not realizing the left dial does nothing even if you do have a model with the ambient lighting in the door handles and door storage bin. Its so weak , you can barely notice it even at night in complete darkness. I solved the problem by replacing the weak factory LED with brighter blue ones (to match dash cluster) Looks so much better now and can be dimmed/turned off with the dial on the left. Why Chrysler even put these in at this level of brightness is beyond me, they may as well not have bothered at all.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You would be forgiven for not realizing the left dial does nothing even if you do have a model with the ambient lighting in the door handles and door storage bin. Its so weak , you can barely notice it even at night in complete darkness. I solved the problem by replacing the weak factory LED with brighter blue ones (to match dash cluster) Looks so much better now and can be dimmed/turned off with the dial on the left. Why Chrysler even put these in at this level of brightness is beyond me, they may as well not have bothered at all.
So, do you mind telling us which new bulbs you used? Were they easy to replace or did the whole door panel have to be removed?

·
Registered
302 Posts
So, do you mind telling us which new bulbs you used? Were they easy to replace or did the whole door panel have to be removed?
Its not a "plug and play " solution unfortunately. Yes, the door panel must be removed, the current LED modules disconnected and replaced with 5mm led's (I used some hotmelt to hold them in place) and wires must be tapped for power source. I used a micro LED strip on the bottom of the arm rest/door bin. If you have the ambient lighting, the wiring is there already.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That looks so sharp. I wish it were easy to do.... I'm sorta handy, but not that handy. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just discovered the ambient lighting feature on our van last night. I was tinkering with the instrument dimmer switch, felt the second dial, flipped it on, and ambient lighting. Neat. Our Touring L has white LEDs above the interior door handles in the front and in the overhead console. I wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there, but it is a nice touch.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its not a "plug and play " solution unfortunately. Yes, the door panel must be removed, the current LED modules disconnected and replaced with 5mm led's (I used some hotmelt to hold them in place) and wires must be tapped for power source. I used a micro LED strip on the bottom of the arm rest/door bin. If you have the ambient lighting, the wiring is there already.
I am going to guess your warranty is over. I would like and could do that blue modification but since mine is new from September of 2018, I am sure if I went in for, lets say a water pump problem, they would state my light caused the pump to fail and not cover it. I also have the life time warranty and from what I have read you had better do NOTHING to change ANYTHING to be sure you still have coverage. That extended warranty is better to have than not, but it is far, far from perfect.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am going to guess your warranty is over. I would like and could do that blue modification but since mine is new from September of 2018, I am sure if I went in for, lets say a water pump problem, they would state my light caused the pump to fail and not cover it. I also have the life time warranty and from what I have read you had better do NOTHING to change ANYTHING to be sure you still have coverage. That extended warranty is better to have than not, but it is far, far from perfect.
There is a law called the "magnuson-moss warranty act" that protects this. It states that the dealer has to prove that the modification directly caused the defect , which in the case of a water pump ,obviously does not become possible with LED lighting in the door handles. Also depends on your Dealer. I also just turn off the lighting effect when I take it in, so they actually never even know its there. . My dealer really does not worry about small changes like this as they realize it does not really effect the vehicle or systems. Now, re-tuning the ECU or altering suspension, yes, you may have problems if you need warranty on anything involving that. If you took the "small print" to its word, then even changing the brand of tires or adding seat covers would void your warranty. Just have to use some common sense and not start going crazy and you will be fine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is a law called the "magnuson-moss warranty act" that protects this.
Yes, I have heard of that. Also think I read here, somewhere, that the act does not cover the lifetime or any other extended "warranties" because they are not warranties, they are contracts.
Where did you get your blue micro light strip?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, I have heard of that. Also think I read here, somewhere, that the act does not cover the lifetime or any other extended "warranties" because they are not warranties, they are contracts.
Service "contracts" or "extended warranty" contracts also are subject to the act. At the end of the day, the dealer wants your business, now and in the future. Unless it is something outrageous (directly caused by a mod) or your service manager is a complete A-hole, they don't have a problem taking money for carrying out warranty work. I have modified every car I ever owned (some far more than this one) and never had a problem . But if you feel its not worth it, then by all means , leave it 100% stock. Its a personal choice, I would love to get air -ride on the van, but that I probably will not do (yet) as I am pretty sure that would void any warranty claims (at least as far as any suspension related issues )...but under the act, could not mitigate any non related, engine or electrical claims.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mods are OK. Your blue light looks great. I have done one so far. Installed the module that gets rid of the, IMHO, stupid ESS. Works great.
Looking at the inside of the door, trim removal may be an interesting operation.
UPDATE:
I did discover a site where the person describes, with pictures, just how to remove the inside panel. He also has several other DIY segments on his site.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I checked into this blue light mod. There is 12 volts at the ambient light but I have a feeling that it is highly current limited somewhere along the wiring. My LED light strip would only flash on and off with not much brightness. I only had it set up for testing and not totally installed. Best thing to do was to put the stock light back in place and reinstall the door panel. Oh well, it sure would have looked nice.......:frown2:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I checked into this blue light mod. There is 12 volts at the ambient light but I have a feeling that it is highly current limited somewhere along the wiring. My LED light strip would only flash on and off with not much brightness. I only had it set up for testing and not totally installed. Best thing to do was to put the stock light back in place and reinstall the door panel. Oh well, it sure would have looked nice.......:frown2:
I did actually experience this with the lower strips, they would go on/off during acceleration. To remedy the situation, I now rewired the lower strips to a 12v constant source in the door and run a LED controller in each door. The small bulbs in the handle cups are still working on the original wiring. I added 2 more strips under the back of the driver and passenger seats that emit a nice blue glow onto the floor area in the second row. All 4 work off one remote that can turn on/off, dim etc. I'll post some pics soon.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts