2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondering how many people, if any, which had that "luck" of having his vehicle stall (Charging System Service, numb acceleration, blinking shifter led) had also been blessed with happy ending due to software update?
I know that stall itself can be caused by many factors/issue, but generally,I'm guessing, it's down to software gremlins/ glitches, parameters readouts and not hardware related.
I personally still wiating a visit in authorised workshop (should have been there already, but 2 magicians there are not available-one get ill and another on his holiday); so wondering...

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Limited, S appearance and Premium & Safety Sphere package, 12/2020 build date
26 Posts
I had the stalling issue and in my case they had to replace the entire transmission assembly, which includes the hybrid drivetrain. I have 9k miles on mine. Tech advised that fluid was black and burnt smelling and had metal particles in it. I sure hope this is my last time in for repair for a while! It took 30 days to get the parts due to all of the supply chain drama.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the stalling issue and in my case they had to replace the entire transmission assembly, which includes the hybrid drivetrain. I have 9k miles on mine. Tech advised that fluid was black and burnt smelling and had metal particles in it. I sure hope this is my last time in for repair for a while! It took 30 days to get the parts due to all of the supply chain drama.
Did after stall the car was drivable, or it was locked for good? Did it gives any noises when stall...?

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Limited, S appearance and Premium & Safety Sphere package, 12/2020 build date
26 Posts
Did after stall the car was drivable, or it was locked for good? Did it gives any noises when stall...?
I had to pull off the road and put the van in park and then restart. It drove perfectly after that. It was only after taking it to the dealer that we discovered the bigger issue. I suspect had I drove it much longer something would have happened again for sure.

Reactions: Guinther

·
Registered
17 Posts
I noticed in another thread, you mentioned they were first going with a PIM replacement, and that's where they've landed with my hybrid which has stalled like yours. From looking around on here, it seems the issue ultimately lies with the transmission, but I'm curious how the dealer changed their mind on the PIM and went with full transmission replacement in your case. I'm guessing by your username that you're located in Marietta Georgia, I'm in Decatur; maybe I need to bring my van to your dealership!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not so many replies so far... Not optimistic either. Looks like stalling, despite restarting it easy and quick is still death sentence to transmission. I hope that's not the full picture.
Does anyone knows how to check fluid without draining it out? Like on the dispstic, for colour and smell?

EDIT: Looks like there is 2 plugs, or one plug(allen key) and one breather-like element, which most probably is also filling point (when breather is unscrewed)
THESE ARE NOT OIL LEVEL CHECK POINT.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Bumper Auto part Audio equipment Electric blue

Reactions: Big D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Reactions: Karolski [PL]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I could actually put some money on, that you will link this video, @ThisSuckersElectrical...
I watched that twice in the past, but always for different purpose ... but thanks for exact frame answering my question.

EDIT: I see it. Must be wonderfull acces...from the bottom of the car, after taking shields/covers out. I wanted to quench my curiosity , but it have to wait at least till Friday or even further...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Reactions: Karolski [PL]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did Chrysler somehow explained/show how that "speciall 90 deg 'dip' stick" looks like? Dimensions?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Did Chrysler somehow explained/show how that "speciall 90 deg 'dip' stick" looks like? Dimensions?
I have not seen one.

Do you have a leak? If not, there is no reason to check it as the system is sealed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Do you have a leak? If not, there is no reason to check it as the system is sealed.
No leak, but condition of the oil inside also can be checked this way (coocked, discoloured)
BTW, I did stick my endoscopic usb otg camera to look for these plugs but it appeares to be either different types of casing or that guy from YT had some sort of early version- there is no 2 plugs there, just one. But on the same heigh/depth as one mentioned for oil check.

Gas Auto part Metal Rim Nut

On the side gearbox oil cooler is seen (for orientation when someone will have a look himself)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, car at the shop.
First, I guess, RRT 21-062 and RRT 21-063 is going to take place as weel as Y50 (liftgate) as these popped up in the Chrysler system when input VIN during reception. Will see.
Wish me luck.

Reactions: imadethem

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. So... BPCM,PCM,HCP, AHCP and additionaly (due to Y50) PLGM were software updated.
Van drove back home flawlessly, different dynamics during that trip-tried to anyhow initiate faults. No chances. All good as it should be.
No differences in driving, however I can observe that ICE is kicked to run when load on batteries is about 77-78kW which before update -but when car used to shut down (stall)- it was 90kW. Somebody just told me , but not at the shop, that this new software is protecting electric motors from draw out or produce too great current. And surprisingly it does not reduce efficiency of the car.
One more little glitch , which I can live with, is the fact that Batterry Usage widget is not indicating properly,like instead of being live, linear, is like showing data by leaps and bounds. Although when I extend that to full screen all is ok.
However it cannot obscure my joy of using my PacHy without keeping it at dealer shop for weeks and ending up with transmission replacement.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaaand....no cigar. Van stall at the roundabout, slow speed,slow load, Hybrid Mode (ICE running due to battery depletion). Quick to restart. CHeck and pulled a code P0A3F, one and only, to be different from what was indicated before software update. So less than a week drive without any issue or concerns. Meh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aaaand....no cigar. Van stall at the roundabout, slow speed,slow load, Hybrid Mode (ICE running due to battery depletion). Quick to restart. CHeck and pulled a code P0A3F, one and only, to be different from what was indicated before software update. So less than a week drive without any issue or concerns. Meh.
P0A3F - Drive Motor A Position Sensor Circuit. This and P0A43 (Drive Motor A Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent) are what my van had, and from looking through this forum for these codes, everyone seems to eventually get a transmission replaced. Mine is going to have been in the shop for 6 weeks before it's all finished, they're waiting for the transmission to come in now. Don't let them try to put a PIM in there, that's a cheap part to throw at the problem, and what they tried to do with me also. The Drive Motor A is housed in the transmission itself, that is the problem, and from what I've read on here, there might be metal filings already floating around in the transmission fluid from when the van stalls, so it's doing actual damage internally. I hope you are able to get them to fix the issue in a timely manner, best of luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks @imadethem for good wishes, but my situation is sort of different , as I did import the van from USA to EU and warranty may be an issue ... But I'm not giving up.
I also know from this forum that it may be problem with resolver, but this is not servicable part (built in the motor).
However I will let diagnosis to the people they made a money on it. I'm extremly dissapointed, specially after these few days it was trouble free and so cool to drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks @imadethem for good wishes, but my situation is sort of different , as I did import the van from USA to EU and warranty may be an issue ... But I'm not giving up.
I also know from this forum that it may be problem with resolver, but this is not servicable part (built in the motor).
However I will let diagnosis to the people they made a money on it. I'm extremly dissapointed, specially after these few days it was trouble free and so cool to drive.
Ah, understood, that is going to be tricky. I wonder how feasible it is to get a salvaged transmission shipped from a wreck or something like that. These new sealed transmissions are not really designed to be serviceable

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, understood, that is going to be tricky. I wonder how feasible it is to get a salvaged transmission shipped from a wreck or something like that. These new sealed transmissions are not really designed to be serviceable
It is probably depends as how many drivers are wreckless... Specially the one behind...
These gearboxes are not that sealed as frezzers compressors. If is common that authorised workshops are not keen to take things apart-it is not where they getting a money from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts