2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know Apple recently announced Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos with their Apple Music streaming , wondering if with CarPlay you get Apples Lossless & Dolby Atmos in the Chrysler Pacifica if you hookup your iPhone in the car.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can get Lossless but not Dolby Atmos.

I have been using losless audio in cars for a few years now, I had Tidal and then Amazon Music HD and now am using Apple Music Lossless.

Reactions: soccerfan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a free trial from Verizon & Apple Music. My wife as usual thinks When I use the iPhone the music is too loud ,she rather listens to XM satellite low fi junk. She thinks OLED TVs are too bright.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you stream Amazon HD music via your phone you don't get HiRez audio & not sure about Tidal.
For 24bit 192khz only one component you may need in order to listen to music in high resolution: a DAC (digital analog converter). Your computer, tablet, phone, TV, and stereo receiver all have a built-in DAC; it’s the component that converts digital files into sound you can hear, but not all of them support high-resolution audio files.
If you want to make the leap to high-resolution music listening on your phone, computer, or stereo, you may need a new DAC to do it

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
if you stream Amazon HD music via your phone you don't get HiRez audio & not sure about Tidal.
For 24bit 192khz only one component you may need in order to listen to music in high resolution: a DAC (digital analog converter). Your computer, tablet, phone, TV, and stereo receiver all have a built-in DAC; it’s the component that converts digital files into sound you can hear, but not all of them support high-resolution audio files.
If you want to make the leap to high-resolution music listening on your phone, computer, or stereo, you may need a new DAC to do it
If you stream through Bluetooth then you don't. If you connect through USB or wireless Apple CarPlay (which uses WiFi) then you do get lossless audio.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
89 Posts
You can get Lossless but not Dolby Atmos.

I have been using losless audio in cars for a few years now, I had Tidal and then Amazon Music HD and now am using Apple Music Lossless.
Atmos works if you make the setting to Always On. As usual, it sounds great with some tracks and not so much with others.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Atmos works if you make the setting to Always On. As usual, it sounds great with some tracks and not so much with others.
The Pacifica's audio system is not capable of presenting Dolby Atmos I don't think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The licensing fee alone bankrupt Chrysler

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
89 Posts
The Pacifica's audio system is not capable of presenting Dolby Atmos I don't think.
The speaker system doesn’t need to fully support Atmos in order for it to present some version of the surround sound. That’s the purpose of the Always On setting - to work with any headphones or speaker system. In a decent multi-speaker system like most modern vehicles have, some of the better mastered Atmos tracks sound great. Many others not so much though and it’s all or nothing so I’ve turned it back off at this point.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The speaker system doesn’t need to fully support Atmos in order for it to present some version of the surround sound. That’s the purpose of the Always On setting - to work with any headphones or speaker system. In a decent multi-speaker system like most modern vehicles have, some of the better mastered Atmos tracks sound great. Many others not so much though and it’s all or nothing so I’ve turned it back off at this point.
This type of faux surround style sound typically makes music sound worse. I have mine turned to Automatic so it only plays in Atmos when connected to a playback source that supports it

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWIW I have an Android phone with 'Dolby Atmos' as a feature on the music player. It is a misnomer because the music would have had to be recorded in Atmos to be able to listen to the music on a Atmos system. Instead, it somehow takes your standard recording and applies some algorithm to give the impression of surround sound. I would love to know what it's actually doing? On my phone, I can turn it on or off when using Bluetooth but NOT when plugged in USB. It actually works pretty good even though it's subtle and I leave it on all the time. When I heard the difference with MP3s compared to lossless, I switched my entire music library to FLAC.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
FWIW I have an Android phone with 'Dolby Atmos' as a feature on the music player. It is a misnomer because the music would have had to be recorded in Atmos to be able to listen to the music on a Atmos system. Instead, it somehow takes your standard recording and applies some algorithm to give the impression of surround sound. I would love to know what it's actually doing? On my phone, I can turn it on or off when using Bluetooth but NOT when plugged in USB. It actually works pretty good even though it's subtle and I leave it on all the time. When I heard the difference with MP3s compared to lossless, I switched my entire music library to FLAC.
The Apple Music version of Atmos is re-mastered. Its not fake. But, its not available on every song since it takes time to remaster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts