2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'll need to have an electrician to do a job in my home. As long as he is here, I'll have him put 220 in the garage. Are there any great deals on Level 2 chargers right now?
In my area, there is no benefit to charging at a specific time as the rate does not vary. Currently we have the PacHY and an ICE Audi though I suspect we will have a full electric car before the next 2 years are over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I purchased 3 chargers from Zencar through Alibaba. I was traveling to China at the time so shipping wasn't a big deal.. I've had them since 2018 and they work great.

This one goes up to 40A and I even got a set of adapter cables to do other plugs than 14-50 so I can use in different scenarios. The greatest thing about this charger is that you can adjust the power. I keep one in the van so I can either do 110v 12A or any number of other options up to 220v 40a.

I purchased the last 40a one for $180 in 2019 but I'm not sure if shipping charges to the US will bump the price up a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased 3 chargers from Zencar through Alibaba. I was traveling to China at the time so shipping wasn't a big deal.. I've had them since 2018 and they work great.

This one goes up to 40A and I even got a set of adapter cables to do other plugs than 14-50 so I can use in different scenarios. The greatest thing about this charger is that you can adjust the power. I keep one in the van so I can either do 110v 12A or any number of other options up to 220v 40a.

I purchased the last 40a one for $180 in 2019 but I'm not sure if shipping charges to the US will bump the price up a lot.
Thank you for the information! When you charge your van do you keep that charger set at 40 amps or do you lower it since our vans can only pull 6.6kw (27.5amps?)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you for the information! When you charge your van do you keep that charger set at 40 amps or do you lower it since our vans can only pull 6.6kw (27.5amps?)
I set it for 40A. Remember, this is not really a charger but more of a power pass through with a safety lockout. The battery charger is in the car itself. The EVSE simply informs the car charger how many amps it can pull.. with this Zencar charger you have the ability to control this by pressing a button (but make sure you double check everything first in terms of how much power you can pull).

Smartly, if the circuit is 110v the only thing you can do is 12A so there is little chance of blowing a breaker. At 208-240V there can be variations of how much amperage you can pull based on the type of plug you have. Tesla solves this problem by using smart plug adapters so the EVSE can understand that the "dryer" style l6-30 or whatever is only rated for 30A or the 14-50 is rated for 50A etc etc. With this Zencar charger you have a bit more responsibility but I trade that for flexibility.

At home I use a 14-50 so I just set it for 40A and the car pulls what it needs. If I need to plug in our Tesla with the j1772 adapter, it can pull the full 40A. I also made sure that the my 14-50 socket is fed with appropriate gauge wire and has an appropriate derated breaker (and if you have to ask, hire an electrician ;) ). So if you want a place at home to plug in, have your electrician install a 14-50 with an appropriately rated circuit instead of hard wiring if only to provide some future flexibility.

If you travel a lot and want to play the "hunt for a charging place" game, then buy two Zencars for the price of a Juicebox, mount one on the wall at home for everyday charging and swap the level one charger that came with your car with the other Zencar with a few plug adapters. I did this and it comes in really handy when visiting parents and we can either use a dryer connection at one place or I put in another 14-50 at the other. When traveling I can also plug into 110V connections for slow charging if there are no other options available. Honestly, it's probably overkill as this is why we haul around a gas engine with our PacHy ;) but it's fun ;). In my particular situation I have two houses, one has a Juicebox and I use the Zencar for the other because it was much cheaper.

If there is enough interest, maybe I can ask my Zencar contact, Annie, if we could do a group buy to get better pricing. But certainly, though, if you want to go this way, make sure to ask Zencar about getting adapters also as they are much cheaper than anything you can get on Amazon, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Touring L
24 Posts
I have two el cheapo Duosida, Purchased of Amazon, 16a chargers. I have been using one of them every day for 8 months with no issue. You can't beat the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It looks like I'll need to have an electrician to do a job in my home. As long as he is here, I'll have him put 220 in the garage. Are there any great deals on Level 2 chargers right now?
In my area, there is no benefit to charging at a specific time as the rate does not vary. Currently we have the PacHY and an ICE Audi though I suspect we will have a full electric car before the next 2 years are over.
Just Bought a plug in on EBAY . $154 You can get the Matching Nema plug on amazon for under 10 . I ordered the one that matches my existing dryer plug Take a picture of your dryer plug and then search on Ebay for the same configuration or order a receptacle on Amazon that is the same as the plug Turn off the breaker and run conduit and wire to the location you want it , mount the receptacle box tying into he existing Should be 3 wires one Red or Black one white and one green Probably a youtube on it somewhere Level 2 Portable EV Charger SAE J1772 Charging Station NEMA10-30 240V 16A 25FT | eBay

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you guys charge the car at Level 2 chargers? Do we need any adapters for the Pacifica Hybrid? I have a lot of level 2 chargers close to my house so I would like to take advantage of those whenever I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts