2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi electric people. I'm a gasser.:smile2:
When coming out of the hospital the other day, I was walking the long distance to where I parked the Blue Monster away from all others and heard a noise. A white car came into the lot a passed in front of me about 100 feet away. It was making a very loud whine sound. It was very loud. I thought, is that an electric one? If so, it must be very sick because I can not believe they make that much noise. Too far away to see what it was. For sure not one of ours.
So, does your electric Pacifica motor make a loud noise?

·
Registered
10 Posts
When going below a certain mph there are speakers that make a spaceship like whine, but nothing too loud. It's to alert pedestrians you are coming up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
When going below a certain mph there are speakers that make a spaceship like whine, but nothing too loud. It's to alert pedestrians you are coming up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the correct answer. This is for not only sighted people, but especially for blind people. These speakers help us not to sneak up on folks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is the correct answer. This is for not only sighted people, but especially for blind people. These speakers help us not to sneak up on folks.
This is one of those regulations that, at first glance, seems really dumb, trying to make a quiet car 'loud'. I mean, don't we have enough noise polution with straight-pipe harleys, rice-burner crotch-rockets, bro-dozer pickups, and fart-can cars?

But, I have to admit, they did a real good job on making the sound 'just right'. It's a barely audible whirring that can be heard with the windows down (and not at all with the windows up)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Short answers to the original question:
When running on the battery, it's silent inside, and almost but not quite silent to onlookers.
When running on gas, it sounds like any other Pacifica.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is one of those regulations that, at first glance, seems really dumb, trying to make a quiet car 'loud'. I mean, don't we have enough noise polution with straight-pipe harleys, rice-burner crotch-rockets, bro-dozer pickups, and fart-can cars?

But, I have to admit, they did a real good job on making the sound 'just right'. It's a barely audible whirring that can be heard with the windows down (and not at all with the windows up)

One source of noise pollution that has gone away - much to my joy - is the 2-stroke motorcycle. I HATED that ring-a-ding-ding crackle-pop like a tin can with bolts in it being shaken, but some of the diesel pickups with sewer pipe exhausts are rising in my short list of annoying noises. :mad:

·
Registered
185 Posts
One source of noise pollution that has gone away - much to my joy - is the 2-stroke motorcycle. I HATED that ring-a-ding-ding crackle-pop like a tin can with bolts in it being shaken, but some of the diesel pickups with sewer pipe exhausts are rising in my short list of annoying noises. :mad:
Yeah, but about the time the 2-stroke motorycle went away, came the rise of the 2-stroke leaf blower and weed-wacker.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The noise generating speaker doesn't whine, it is more like an engine rumble, but not quite. PacHy itself does make a whining noise, but it is not loud at all. Need to stand close, preferably with the hood open to hear it. Far below the ICE sound level.
BTW, if someone is interested, a while ago I made a post on disconnecting that speaker.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The noise generating speaker doesn't whine, it is more like an engine rumble, but not quite. PacHy itself does make a whining noise, but it is not loud at all. Need to stand close, preferably with the hood open to hear it. Far below the ICE sound level.
BTW, if someone is interested, a while ago I made a post on disconnecting that speaker.
Would you care to post a link to that?

·
Registered
185 Posts
As touchy as the PacHy seems to be on throwing codes, I'd be leery of disconnecting anything, particularly something as innocuous as the pedestrian noise-maker. It wouldn't seem to be worth the effort and potential for trouble, at least while the thing is under warranty. If nothing else, when it's in the shop for something much more serious, I have no doubt the disconnected speaker would pop up on the code reader.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was in the parking lot when the owner of a Pacifica hybrid drove away. REALLY quiet. I would think if you disconnect the 'noise generator' and you unfortunately hit someone, you would be on the losing end of a lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Would you care to post a link to that?
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/32705-[how-]-disable-quiet-vehicle-alert-system.html
As touchy as the PacHy seems to be on throwing codes, I'd be leery of disconnecting anything, particularly something as innocuous as the pedestrian noise-maker. It wouldn't seem to be worth the effort and potential for trouble, at least while the thing is under warranty. If nothing else, when it's in the shop for something much more serious, I have no doubt the disconnected speaker would pop up on the code reader.
I addressed your question in the "how-to' post I linked above.
I was in the parking lot when the owner of a Pacifica hybrid drove away. REALLY quiet. I would think if you disconnect the 'noise generator' and you unfortunately hit someone, you would be on the losing end of a lawsuit.
****, if having that speaker on gives me the right to hit anyone with my van, I'll surely connect it back!>:)
In reality the usefulness of this speaker is limited. Many newer ICE cars are incredibly quiet. You can't hear them coming on a parking lot near a street with a moderate ambient noise from traffic.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's not just about being on the losing end of a lawsuit--that could happen anyway. It's that disconnecting the speaker may provide an escape for the insurance company, changes the nature of the lawsuit (gross negligence vs ordinary negligence), and could possibly lead to criminal charges. In other words, it could change a lawsuit from being an unfortunate thing to being a disastrous thing.

Any reasonably competent personal injury attorney would be licking their chops if their client told them that the EV pedestrian safety speaker wasn't making noise. When they find out it was an intentional act on the part of the owner, they'd be disappointed that they weren't going to be able to go after the deep pockets of Chrysler. They'd still be quite eager to go after the individual that disconnected the speaker.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's not about being sinister. It's about disabling a pedestrian-safety device. It's a personal choice. Knowing what I know, it's not a choice I'd choose to make myself. There's so little to be gained, but great potential loss. It wouldn't play out very well in front of a jury. Odds are any individual circumstance won't come to that, but why invite the risk?

It is, in fact, mandated by administrative law for new vehicles as of this coming September. Doesn't mean existing vehicles need to be retrofitted or anything like that, of course.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That imaginary jury is just a pure fantasy. Can you site any lawsuit related to an accident caused by the aftermarket headlights? And those lights are way more common and dangerous.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Personally, I don't mind the sound of the 'Quiet Pedestrian Noise Module' but, if it's not any kind of legal requirement and doesn't throw any codes if disabled, I don't see a major problem with unplugging it, either, particularly if it's not all that difficult to do. I think the main argument in favor of turning it off is that BMW provides a toggle for it that's accessible through the user menu. Too bad FCA (and, frankly, all manufacturers of EV-capable vehicles) don't do the same.

OTOH, as a casual bicylist and occasional pedestrian, I can see the value in its operation, as well. Frankly, I've had my share of close calls with oblivious pedestrians and human-power wheeled traffic (which has gotten much worse with constant smartphone use), and would rather startle them with a futuristic, Jetsons-like, low-level whirring sound that made them look around and become aware of my presence.

Of course, there's always the dog barking that ensues when trying to drive slowly and quietly through a residential neighborhood in the dead of night, too...

·
Registered
409 Posts
That imaginary jury is just a pure fantasy. Can you site any lawsuit related to an accident caused by the aftermarket headlights? And those lights are way more common and dangerous.
Do you really want to get into a discussion with legal cites? That's my idea of work, not fun. Of course it's fantasy--hasn't yet happened, to my knowledge. I'm very simply pointing out how I believe it would play out, if it were to come to pass. I'm an attorney, but tort law isn't my favorite thing. Maybe your expertise and experience is in handling negligence cases and know something I don't?

Nobody is telling you what to do. If you want to disable a safety device, it's no skin off my back. I'm just pointing out a risk. People don't often think about how seemingly innocuous choices can create exposure to risk. Personally, I'm grateful when someone points something like that out to me. I don't always agree with them, but at least it gives me something to think about.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think you are constructing a far fetched scenario. If I worried about such low probability events I would never leave the bedroom. Would the question about the noise generator even come up? And what would happen if the owner would say "I didn't know it supposed to make a noise. They probably forgot to connect it at the factory"?
I'm not advocating disconnecting the speaker. It doesn't make that much difference. When driving above a pedestrian speed the tire noise overwhelms the speaker anyway. I like the quietness of the van in the underground garage at work and I dislike the nanny systems that I find of a low value. Other people may have their own reasons.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's not about being sinister. It's about disabling a pedestrian-safety device. It's a personal choice. Knowing what I know, it's not a choice I'd choose to make myself. There's so little to be gained, but great potential loss. It wouldn't play out very well in front of a jury. Odds are any individual circumstance won't come to that, but why invite the risk?

It is, in fact, mandated by administrative law for new vehicles as of this coming September. Doesn't mean existing vehicles need to be retrofitted or anything like that, of course.
Interesting. I’m not trying to start an argument or long discussion here but does this mandate apply to manufacturers of the vehicle or owners/users? In other words, does the law mandate that cars are manufactured with the noise maker or does the law mandate that owners of such vehicles must have/use the device?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts