21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
735 Posts
Getting back to the topic at hand, was the featured vehicle of this thread purchased new or used? With a cylinder filled with fluid, was it known before the failure if the coolant or oil levels were low? Any sign of leaks under the vehicle where it is parked? Sorry, I'm just trying to get a more complete picture of the problem here.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You want a non safety issue reported to NHTSA. The only logical conclusion is you want them to help with a warranty issue.
Ignored. Don't have time for this.

·
Super Moderator
1,041 Posts
Guys let's get back on topic. The are two forum members that seem to be having pretty serious issues with their engines. We don't need to do the thread with posts that don't help them out. Keep on topic.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Digging into the previous NHTSA data from the last round 2011-2013 it has been reported cylinder 3 or 5 some times both as the point of failure. Multiple brands, Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler being they all used the same engine as most of them do today. The investigation revealed it had something to do with sand and casting causing defects from the foundry making the engine blocks. The top reported complaints were engine tapping, misfiring, head gasket failure, coolant in the combustion chamber, engine stalling, and total engine failure.

This is why it is important to report problems to the NTSHA to get the ball rolling for investigations.

Report a Vehicle Safety Problem, Equipment Issue | NHTSA

This problem would be reported as:

Engine: includes the internal combustion engine and related systems that power the vehicle such as cooling (fan, radiator, hoses, coolant) and exhaust (catalyst, pipes, muffler) system components, fan/drive belt components, turbo/superchargers, and other related engine components for gasoline, diesel, or other internal combustion engines that may present a safety hazard.

A recent problem with RAM trucks only took 22 complaints to begin an investigation last month. While this is not engine-related and possibly a fuel pump issue, it doesn't matter. It began an investigation into the problem.

NHTSA Investigating Ram HD Diesel Trucks over Stall Reports

NHTSA Probes Cummins-Equipped Diesel Ram HD Trucks Over Fuel Pump, Stalling Issues

DOT NHTSA ODI Document

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Pacifica

So I’m new here but Chrysler has lost me as a customer. I can’t justify ever recommending one of their products.
So me and the family come back from a trip to the ocean. When I get home we shut the van off and come back the next day to a no start with the starter clicking.

I replace the starter. Didn’t fix it. Both starters test good, batteries test within spec. Place the original starter back on and tow it to the dealership.
Dealership investigates. Says I need a starter so we get a starter coming, then says I need batteries so we put batteries on, dealer then states the motor is seized and is only rotating a little past 100 degrees and that there is metal shavings in the oil.
Dealer states that one of the cylinders is filled with coolant and internal damage had been sufficient enough that a it needs a new engine.
This absolutely turns my stomach. I had faith in the Chrysler brand so much and now im looking at replacing an engine.

have y’all seen this issues at this low of miles?
Which engine?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L w/ 3.6L Pentastar
5 Posts
Sometimes pays to dig up service history as well . If it’s same common denominator than you’d see more cases of motors , esp how widespread the 3.6 was utilized in majority of fca vehicles .
I'm finding an unusual bump in these issues while browsing PacificaForums. I think this is more common than it should be.

Our 2018 Pacific has 82k miles and the left bank (1,3,5) head gasket appears to have just failed. We have our service appointment Tuesday to find out for sure.

These engines run, even when they begin to fail catastrophically. I don't know where the OP lives, but if I drove my Pacifica in its current condition to the beach, I'd guarantee the engine would seize.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
735 Posts
All right, with so many complaints of the same failure, now it's time to be really concerned that there is a systemic problem with Chrysler's Pentastar engine. I hope everyone with the issue files a report with NHTSA and writes a letter to Chrysler. Contact info s/b near the back of the owner's manual. This sounds like it could be class-action lawsuit material.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Same issues for me. Coolant in cylinder 5. Needed new head gasket. Problems started at around 80,000 miles. Car had regular oil changes and maintenance.
Hi Cjl8,
If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to provide some additional assistance.

Sarah
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yikes. I have had zero issues with my 2005 Odyssey but this thread has me seriously concerned with my 2021 PACHY. Hoping Toyota comes out with a plug in Sienna before my PACHY warranty expires so I can trade it in.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yikes. I have had zero issues with my 2005 Odyssey but this thread has me seriously concerned with my 2021 PACHY. Hoping Toyota comes out with a plug in Sienna before my PACHY warranty expires so I can trade it in.
I wouldn't be concerned. I am not. If there is a manufacturing issue it should be addressed and not left on the backs of the owners for the mistake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most Engines will out last the vehicle these days. If you want to feel protected purchace an extended Warranty direct from the manufacture and use the proper parts and lubricants . I owned a service center for 32 years and serviced 60-100 vehicles a day with very few failures. Most of my customers did 100k over a 10 year period and I had very few failures. Statistically most engine failures are Korean and Japanese. American cars fall apart very slowly and steadily but last much longer. Asian brands are trouble free and then self-destruct At about 100,000 miles. I have tracked that data with over 8000 customers for 32 years. And I know it to be true. That’s why police cars in Taxis are generally American built . NYPD purchased Asian cars years ago for police use and they fell apart within two years. I had a fleet of 50+ Lincoln town cars and from victorious that ran for over 500,000 miles without a single major mechanical failure.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts