2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
61 - 81 of 135 Posts

Registered
Yes I did, because his vehicle needs this expensive repair. So it was $500 now its $800? You have no idea what you're talking about. No quality shop will charge you $800 to put in a modern engine. Do some research, call some shops.

You need to buy better cars lol.

Independent shops rate labor by the hour too. All quality shops use a book rate for jobs, thats the only way they can make money. Why would they charge $500 to replace an engine when they can charge $500 for a brake job? I'm not taking my vehicle to some guy who works in their driveway or an alley, this is not some $1,500 beater car.

Right now his car isn't exhibiting symptoms that will hurt him on a trade in. He can not make the repair, trade it in for a good price and move on with a new, better car that won't have this issue and won't have potentially more issues down the line. He's not going to get a salvage trade in.

Thats not being positive, its being delusional. If his van needs a new engine and he wants it done properly by a shop that will stand by and guarantee their work, thats a $4-$5k job minimum. Thats a fact. He can put that $4-5k into this car and roll the dice on a vehicle that we know doesnt have a great reputation for reliability and its already higher mileage. IMO 100k miles on a Chrysler Pacifica is like 250k miles on a Toyota. If I were faced with that sort of repair on any car, and I could dump it before I had to make the repair...I would.
Yes I did, because his vehicle needs this expensive repair. So it was $500 now its $800? You have no idea what you're talking about. No quality shop will charge you $800 to put in a modern engine. Do some research, call some shops.

You need to buy better cars lol.

Independent shops rate labor by the hour too. All quality shops use a book rate for jobs, thats the only way they can make money. Why would they charge $500 to replace an engine when they can charge $500 for a brake job? I'm not taking my vehicle to some guy who works in their driveway or an alley, this is not some $1,500 beater car.

Right now his car isn't exhibiting symptoms that will hurt him on a trade in. He can not make the repair, trade it in for a good price and move on with a new, better car that won't have this issue and won't have potentially more issues down the line. He's not going to get a salvage trade in.

Thats not being positive, its being delusional. If his van needs a new engine and he wants it done properly by a shop that will stand by and guarantee their work, thats a $4-$5k job minimum. Thats a fact. He can put that $4-5k into this car and roll the dice on a vehicle that we know doesnt have a great reputation for reliability and its already higher mileage. IMO 100k miles on a Chrysler Pacifica is like 250k miles on a Toyota. If I were faced with that sort of repair on any car, and I could dump it before I had to make the repair...I would.
NO IT IS NOT A FACT that an engine will be $4-5k... Have you ever replaced an engine in a Pacifica???? I didn't think so so how can it be a fact!!!. Because someone else on here paid that and got suckered? LOL.. yeah I did at one point pay $500 to have an engine yanked out and another one put in because I did homework. Are you happy now??..
Let me tell you something buddy Ive forgotten more about mechanics than you'll ever know so Don't Preach to me about mechanics. You're a negative Nelly and you're giving bad advice and you need to stop it and hopefully a moderator will put an end to this madness. Maybe your other Pacifica that's given you so much trouble is your karma for giving bad advice and being a negative Nelly:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DoninDel

Registered
NO IT IS NOT A FACT that an engine will be $4-5k... Have you ever replace an engine in a Pacifica???? I didn't think so so how can it be a fact!!!. Because someone else on here paid that and got suckered? LOL.. yeah I did at one point pay $500 to have an engine yanked out and another one put in because I did homework. Are you happy now??..
Let me tell you something buddy Ive forgotten more about mechanics than you'll ever know so Don't Preach to me about mechanics. You're a negative Nelly and you're giving bad advice and you need to stop it and hopefully a moderator will put an end to this madness. Maybe your other Pacifica that's given you so much trouble is your karma for giving bad advice and being a negative Nelly:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Do some research and do the math. I've provided links to information that can help you. You're not going to find a quality mechanic that will stand by their work who will do a total engine replacement for $500 on a modern car. You are full of it. You can't even replace the head gaskets on this engine for $500.

Why do you need a moderator? Just stop posting. You need to get outside some, or something.

Registered
From a quality, independent mechanic shop:

View attachment 48384
You're preaching to the choir buddy I don't care about your little ad about what replacement cost is and their opinions,, it depends on who you take it to, there are private shops that are starving that would gladly do that for very cheap... it's funny how you cut and paste things that I say and throw it back to me like you're teaching me a lesson like I don't know what I just wrote. LOL. Get a life buddy go find something to do it's a nice Saturday out

Reactions: DoninDel

Registered
From a quality, independent mechanic shop:

View attachment 48384
You're preaching to the choir buddy I don't care about your little ad about what replacement cost is and their opinions,, it depends on who you take it to, there are private shops that are starving that would gladly do that for very cheap... it's funny how you cut and paste things that I say and throw it back to me like you're teaching me a lesson like I don't know what I just wrote. LOL. Get a life buddy go find something to do it's a nice Saturday

Registered
Do some research and do the math. I've provided links to information that can help you. You're not going to find a quality mechanic that will stand by their work who will do a total engine replacement for $500 on a modern car. You are full of it. You can't even replace the head gaskets on this engine for $500.

Why do you need a moderator? Just stop posting. You need to get outside some, or something.
You're funny why don't you stop posting LMAO. I know that's an impossibility for you because you have to have the last word.. you got to try and teach somebody a lesson

Registered

And it's more expensive to replace head gaskets than it is to just replace the whole engine that's my whole point try listening.

Registered
And it's more expensive to replace head gaskets than it is to just replace the whole engine that's my whole point try listening.
LMAO! Okay pal. Whatever you say.

Registered
I have no interest in "teaching you a lesson", you are a lost cause lol

I have confidence that others have enough sense to know that you can't replace a modern engine for $500.
I was making a point. Wasn't being literal my whole point if you can read between the lines was that it can be done cheap not so much the $500 called making a point

Registered
Since its cheaper to replace an entire engine than to replace head gaskets, we should just all replace our engines instead of making most repairs right? Why does anybody even bother replacing spark plugs? Just replace the engine. Changing the oil for $100 a pop, huge ripoff. Just replace the engine every couple of years right?

Registered
Since its cheaper to replace an entire engine than to replace head gaskets, we should just all replace our engines instead of making most repairs right? Why does anybody even bother replacing spark plugs? Just replace the engine. Changing the oil for $100 a pop, huge ripoff. Just replace the engine every couple of years right?
A head gasket is extremely intense and expensive you have to split the motor, a lot of times when those go bad most people elect to just change out the engine for the same cost sometimes even cheaper with half the miles as exactly in this situation. Or didn't you know that

Registered
A head gasket is extremely intense and expensive you have to split the motor, a lot of times when those go bad most people elect to just change out the engine for the same cost sometimes even cheaper with half the miles as exactly in this situation. Or didn't you know that
You are insane lol

Registered
You are insane lol
Call your local dealership right now and theyl give you the rate to change out the head gasket on that it will be upwards of $2,500

Registered
Call your local dealership right now and theyl give you the rate to change out the head gasket on that it will be upwards of $2,500
Sure they will. And they'll quote me $10,000 for an engine replacement. Independent mechanic will do the head gasket for $1,200 or so, dramatically cheaper than replacing the engine with even a used one which would be $4-5K.

Even by your own insane $500 engine replacement labor with a $2k used engine your statement that replacing the engine is cheaper than replacing the head gaskets makes no sense.

Do you honestly believe this **** or are you just trolling?

Registered
Sure they will. And they'll quote me $10,000 for an engine replacement. Independent mechanic will do the head gasket for $1,200 or so, dramatically cheaper than replacing the engine with even a used one which would be $4-5K.

Even by your own insane $500 engine replacement labor with a $2k used engine your statement that replacing the engine is cheaper than replacing the head gaskets makes no sense.
You're a stodgy conservative Pacifica owner of course everything you get done has to be the dealership no doubt so I'm simply relating to you. I can tell you would never go to a Craigslist mechanic or side shop if it wasn't the dealership. Live outside the box and be creative for once in your life. When someone's head gasket goes out that's life changing for most people and an expensive fix because you have to take half the engine off a lot of people elect to just put different engines in there because it can actually be done cheaper sometimes. You're extremely thick-headed I'm surprised you cant understand that. Now hurry up and run to the dealership I'm sure your dome light bulb needs changing

Registered

Do you honestly believe this **** or are you just trolling?
I've never dealt with anybody like this you are extremely thick-headed. I already told you a long time ago an older car that I have had may or may not have mentioned I had the whole engine replaced for $560 plus parts I had to pay on the side. Are you understanding me now? I didn't say it was a Pacifica did I?

Registered
You're a stodgy conservative Pacifica owner of course everything you get done has to be the dealership no doubt so I'm simply relating to you. I can tell you would never go to a Craigslist mechanic or side shop if it wasn't the dealership. Live outside the box and be creative for once in your life. When someone's head gasket goes out that's life changing for most people and an expensive fix because you have to take half the engine off a lot of people elect to just put different engines in there because it can actually be done cheaper sometimes. You're extremely thick-headed I'm surprised you can understand that. Now hurry up and run to the dealership I'm sure your dome light bulb needs changing
Dude, I'm the one who told them not to take it to the dealer lol. All of the prices I've been quoting are independent mechanic prices, not dealer prices. You'd be insane to have the dealer do any of these jobs unless its under warranty.

I would absolutely not go to a Craigslist mechanic though. This is a 4 year old 70K mile $50k vehicle that my wife and kids use as their primary transport. Yes I want it worked on by someone reputable. This is not a $1,500 beater car.

The ONLY time it would be cheaper potentially to replace the engine is if the heads were warped or something like that. A straightforward head gasket replacement will always be cheaper than replacing the engine.

Registered
Dude, I'm the one who told them not to take it to the dealer lol. All of the prices I've been quoting are independent mechanic prices, not dealer prices. You'd be insane to have the dealer do any of these jobs unless its under warranty.

I would absolutely not go to a Craigslist mechanic though. This is a 4 year old 70K mile $50k vehicle that my wife and kids use as their primary transport. Yes I want it worked on by someone reputable. This is not a $1,500 beater car.

The ONLY time it would be cheaper potentially to replace the engine is if the heads were warped or something like that. A straightforward head gasket replacement will always be cheaper than replacing the engine.
Everything is extremely relative and every situation is 1,000 times different than the next guy you just have to analyze all of the situation and go from there there is no one right answer to being creative to get something done.. whether it is a Pacifica or another car pulling an engine is basically the same circumstance. If I put on Nike or Christian Louboutin it's still a shoe

Registered
Everything is extremely relative and every situation is 1,000 times different than the next guy you just have to analyze all of the situation and go from there there is no one right answer to being creative to get something done.. whether it is a Pacifica or another car pulling an engine is basically the same circumstance. If I put on Nike or Christian Louboutin it's still a shoe
What era the car is from has a HUGE impact on how complex it is to replace the engine. There's not a lot of difference between two 2017 cars, but there is a TON of difference between a 2017 car and a 1987 car, or a 1967 car.

But the point is, we should not be discussing replacing the engine in a 2017 car in the first place. The fact that there are multiple cases of this right now is really troubling.

Registered
What era the car is from has a HUGE impact on how complex it is to replace the engine. There's not a lot of difference between two 2017 cars, but there is a TON of difference between a 2017 car and a 1987 car, or a 1967 car.

But the point is, we should not be discussing replacing the engine in a 2017 car in the first place. The fact that there are multiple cases of this right now is really troubling.
To any Seasoned mechanic whether or not it's a newer car or an older car it's basically the same principals.. We shouldn't be talking about replacing an engine in a 17 but other makes and models such as Chevy, Ford etc are prone to this rare instance to.

61 - 81 of 135 Posts