2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
To any Seasoned mechanic whether or not it's a newer car or an older car it's basically the same principals.. We shouldn't be talking about replacing an engine in a 17 but other makes and models such as Chevy, Ford etc are prone to this rare instance to.
Same principals but just a lot more work. Hence why it costs more.

And no this is not common anywhere. Right now we have multiple active threads on this topic, is it rare? We don’t know how rare it is but it’s certainly something to be concerned with and not something you see discussed on other competitors forums. I posted the search results above proving that.

You just don’t see these types of engine failures on cars this young, even in rare instances.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Same principals but just a lot more work. Hence why it costs more.

And no this is not common anywhere. Right now we have multiple active threads on this topic, is it rare? We don’t know how rare it is but it’s certainly something to be concerned with and not something you see discussed on other competitors forums. I posted the search results above proving that.

You just don’t see these types of engine failures on cars this young, even in rare instances.
Sometimes it doesn't cost more if you find the right shop or mechanic. We shouldn't be talking about replacing an engine in a 17 but other makes and models such as Chevy, Ford etc are prone to this rare instance to.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Saying something over and over again doesn’t make it true. Neither of those statements are true.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Saying something over and over again doesn’t make it true. Neither of those statements are true.
The 3.6 Pentastar 3rd generation for the 3rd time is not known for this its an extreme rarity. Just because 4 people are on this forum with a problem doesn't hold alot of water. We shouldn't be talking about replacing an engine in a 17 Pacifica but other new makes and models such as Chevy, Ford etc are prone to serious engine damage to.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Then please show us the posts about engine failures from forums for 2017 or newer Chevys and Fords.

And hence why I said we don’t know if this is a common issue yet or not, but it’s certainly concerning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Then please show us the posts about engine failures from forums for 2017 or newer Chevys and Fords.

And hence why I said we don’t know if this is a common issue yet or not, but it’s certainly concerning.
The 3.6 Pentastar for the 3rd time is not known for this its an extreme rarity. Just because 4 people are on this forum with a problem doesn't hold alot of water. We shouldn't be talking about replacing an engine in a 17 Pacifica but other new makes and models such as Chevy, Ford etc are prone to serious engine damage to.

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica, Touring S, Black
109 Posts
Was hoping to see some updates here. But… Wow. In the time you two ladies spent finger fighting, I had taught my daughter how to ride her bicycle today. I think both of you have decent points to make. I’d encourage you to go live your lives lol. No one has to be 100% right, all the time.

I am tracking this because I have a genuine concern for my ‘20. My coolant keeps dropping small increments when I drive and I’m thinking it may have a head gasket issue as there are no obvious external leaks. I checked on autotrader for fun and saw there were Pacifica’s with well over 200k on them. With no crazy data in the car fax (not that it’s all that reliable). My coolant level has dropped from the max to min line in a week. When I caught it, it was maybe 3cm below minimum after a trip. Needless to say, it is concerning. I’ve never had to keep an eye on my coolant like this before 😂

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This is purely entertainment for me lol

I am tracking this because I have a genuine concern for my ‘20. My coolant keeps dropping small increments when I drive and I’m thinking it may have a head gasket issue as there are no obvious external leaks. I checked on autotrader for fun and saw there were Pacifica’s with well over 200k on them. With no crazy data in the car fax (not that it’s all that reliable). My coolant level has dropped from the max to min line in a week. When I caught it, it was maybe 3cm below minimum after a trip. Needless to say, it is concerning. I’ve never had to keep an eye on my coolant like this before 😂
It would be truly astonishing if your 20 had a blown head gasket, but if it does at least you are still under warranty. Have you taken it in to the dealer? They're going to top it off probably and tell you its fine, but I would do that anyways just to get the concern on record in case you ever do have an issue.

Some coolant use is not necessarily indicative of a problem.

other new makes and models such as Chevy, Ford etc are prone to serious engine damage to.
No proof, got it.

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica, Touring S, Black
109 Posts
It would be truly astonishing if your 20 had a blown head gasket, but if it does at least you are still under warranty. Have you taken it in to the dealer?

It would blow my mind - pun intended 🤣 out of the hundreds of thousands of miles I’ve driven, I cannot recall one instance where I had to fill up the coolant reservoir. I also have engine oil in my air filter. I’m taking it in on Monday for the 4th time for them replace suspension components for the infamous clunking noise. I’m definitely bringing it up then. Luckily, I have a 100,000 mile power train warranty from purchase at a separate dealer.

i want so badly for mine to be one of those 200k vans on autotrader one day. But right now, I feel like I’m that one person who stays in an abusive relationship when everyone said they weren’t good for me 🤣

·
Registered
305 Posts
Was hoping to see some updates here. But… Wow. In the time you two ladies spent finger fighting, I had taught my daughter how to ride her bicycle today. I think both of you have decent points to make. I’d encourage you to go live your lives lol. No one has to be 100% right, all the time.

It would be truly astonishing if your 20 had a blown head gasket, but if it does at least you are still under warranty. Have you taken it in to the dealer? They're going to top it off probably and tell you its fine, but I would do that anyways just to get the concern on record in case you ever do have an issue.

No proof, got it.
You'll get your proof later when I'm not busy

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It would blow my mind - pun intended 🤣 out of the hundreds of thousands of miles I’ve driven, I cannot recall one instance where I had to fill up the coolant reservoir. I also have engine oil in my air filter. I’m taking it in on Monday for the 4th time for them replace suspension components for the infamous clunking noise. I’m definitely bringing it up then. Luckily, I have a 100,000 mile power train warranty from purchase at a separate dealer.

i want so badly for mine to be one of those 200k vans on autotrader one day. But right now, I feel like I’m that one person who stays in an abusive relationship when everyone said they weren’t good for me 🤣
If it makes you feel better, I also had never had to add coolant to any car Ive had, but recently got a low coolant warning and had to add coolant to my 20 Mercedes S560. I have the clunking noise too, my 2017 also had it and I just got my 20 back from the dealer and they said it was caused by a disconnected aux battery, which wasn't the case since it still clunks.

Yeah, this aint a 200k vehicle IMO lol.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I took a pic of my air filter for your other thread, and I noticed my coolant is also right below the min line

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Hood

·
Registered
305 Posts

Some coolant use is not necessarily indicative of a problem

No proof, got it.
I took a pic of my air filter for your other thread, and I noticed my coolant is also right below the min line

View attachment 48388
Hmmmmm what have we here??🤔😭..Seems Ford has a little bit of a problem with their Motors too... I think you should rush right over there and play know it all with them so your not spending all your time here... Seeee Chrysler isn't the only one with a bad reputation on a few things... If you'd like me to continue with other makes to just let me know, I can go on all day.. Now make sure and write me back telling me I'm wrong so you can make yourself look good on here that Chrysler has such a bad reputation with the 3.6 , I can't wait to hear your response and explanation discounting this...
Outerwear Textile Sleeve Dress shirt Denim

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Font Mesh

Product Mesh Wood Textile Flooring

Personal computer Font Computer Gadget Screenshot

Font Space Astronomical object Science Screenshot

Black Font Line Tire Wheel

.This guy on here with the coolant leak you should tell him to get rid of it immediately because it has a bad reputation..😉✌

·
Registered
305 Posts

View attachment 48388
Ford has a GREAT reputation however because of these issues it would NOT stop me from buying an Eco Boost. These are isolated situations and NOT a serious problem with all Eco boost owners because of these isolated 7 forum situations and there's many many more.. Crap happens with each and every car company!!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm not going to explain away anything, what you are describing are EcoBoost failures which are a well documented issue for Ford. If you look at Ford's naturally aspirated engines, they are extremely solid. Throughout the industry there are more reliability issues with turbocharged engines than naturally aspirated engines.

.This guy on here with the coolant leak you should tell him to get rid of it immediately because it has a bad reputation..😉✌
Why would I do that? His vehicle is under warranty, it doesnt have 100k miles on it and he's not paying out of pocket for anything. I would and did tell him I wouldn't keep one of these vehicles for 200k miles. If I were buying a vehicle to keep for a long time, I would not buy a Pacifica. Mine are leased. If I were buying a minivan for long term use I would buy a Sienna.

Ford has a GREAT reputation however because of these issues it would NOT stop me from buying an Eco Boost. These are isolated situations and NOT a serious problem with all Eco boost owners because of these isolated 7 forum situations and there's many many more.. Crap happens with each and every car company!!
Ford doesn't have a "great" reputation, they have a better reputation than Chrysler. I would absolutely consider these EcoBoost problems when deciding whether or not to buy a Ford with an EcoBoost engine, and I would select a different engine if I were buying a Ford that had one available if it were a vehicle I planned to keep for a long time. F150 for instance I would want the V8, same with the Mustang. That would be advice I would give to others looking also.

And sure, crap happens with every car company its just more likely with companies rated poorly than it is with companies rated highly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm not going to explain away anything, what you are describing are EcoBoost failures which are a well documented issue for Ford. If you look at Ford's naturally aspirated engines, they are extremely solid. Throughout the industry there are more reliability issues with turbocharged engines than naturally aspirated engines.

Why would I do that? His vehicle is under warranty, it doesnt have 100k miles on it and he's not paying out of pocket for anything. I would and did tell him I wouldn't keep one of these vehicles for 200k miles. If I were buying a vehicle to keep for a long time, I would not buy a Pacifica. Mine are leased. If I were buying a minivan for long term use I would buy a Sienna.

Ford doesn't have a "great" reputation, they have a better reputation than Chrysler. I would absolutely consider these EcoBoost problems when deciding whether or not to buy a Ford with an EcoBoost engine, and I would select a different engine if I were buying a Ford that had one available if it were a vehicle I planned to keep for a long time. F150 for instance I would want the V8, same with the Mustang. That would be advice I would give to others looking also.

And sure, crap happens with every car company its just more likely with companies rated poorly than it is with companies rated highly.
Hmmm.. I'd say YOU were wrong and my statements WERE true😉...

Seems you have a long winded answer for everything and it's quite tiring when your wrong all the time and you think you have to be right. You have insecurity issues.. You are on here for entertainment value so I'd suggest you do research and get your facts straight before telling someone they are wrong. you're the only one being entertained here.. ..That mushy stuff you feel all over your face,,,, is egg..👍👍
Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,085 Posts
I'll just say this. Every make incurs some premature engine failures to some degree. Having said that, I'd take a gen 3 Pentastar 3.6L over any of the V6 offerings from other makes simply because it's naturally aspirated and doesn't have direct [fuel] injection. GM's 3.6L has a bad reputation, but the latest LGX version isn't quite as bad as the older ones which were plagued by timing chain failures, timing cover leaks, and PCV issues. Ford's 3.5L V6 (both the Ecoboost and N/A) actually isn't too bad either, but $3000 to replace a water pump is a dealbreaker for me.

Reactions: BriPac

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'll just say this. Every make incurs some premature engine failures to some degree. Having said that, I'd take a gen 3 Pentastar 3.6L over any of the V6 offerings from other makes simply because it's naturally aspirated and doesn't have direct [fuel] injection. GM's 3.6L has a bad reputation, but the latest LGX version isn't quite as bad as the older ones which were plagued by timing chain failures, timing cover leaks, and PCV issues. Ford's 3.5L V6 (both the Ecoboost and N/A) actually isn't too bad either, but $3000 to replace a water pump is a dealbreaker for me.
Bravo and well said I couldn't have put it any better😉

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 3rd generation 3.6 Pentastar starting in 2017 is basically bulletproof with millions of miles tested already. Valve train issues from Generation 1 and generation 2 are basically a thing of the past

·
Registered
604 Posts

I have found that coolant at the min line when it is cold is fine. If I add coolant when cold above the min line and drive for a while, next time I check cold it's back to min line. Checking while engine is hot, coolant should be near the max line.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts