2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

An open deck Ford EcoBoost 3.5L V6. Notice the lack of any type of structural support around the top of the cylinders (although some open deck designs utilize a support point at the end of each outside cylinder).

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Nothing you posted is a Pentastar engine in a Chrysler Pacifica.
He's pointing out that the pentastar is also an open deck design that lacks support points at the top of the cylinder walls, same design as those EcoBoost Ford motors which suffer from this same kind of issue.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
So is it fair to be comparing a Pentastar normally aspirated 3.6L six cylinder engine that puts out 287 horsepower to a Ford 2.3L turbo charged inline four cylinder engine that puts out 350 horsepower (and is known to have serious failures), or to a Subaru turbo charged 2.0L four cylinder engine that puts out 268 horsepower?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
He's pointing out that the pentastar is also an open deck design that lacks support points at the top of the cylinder walls, same design as those EcoBoost Ford motors which suffer from this same kind of issue.
Apples VS Oranges? I am sure the tolerances are identical and they all use the exact same head gasket too. 😂

Reactions: Onickv

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So is it fair to be comparing a Pentastar normally aspirated 3.6L six cylinder engine that puts out 287 horsepower to a Ford 2.3L turbo charged inline four cylinder engine that puts out 350 horsepower (and is known to have serious failures), or to a Subaru turbo charged 2.0L four cylinder engine that puts out 268 horsepower?
Apples VS Oranges? I am sure the tolerances are identical and they all use the exact same head gasket too. 😂
He didn't elaborate on what he meant by what he posted, but I think you guys are reading too much into it. Bottom line here, is there does seem to be an issue with these blocks...

Reactions: seo68

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the same boat, appears this isn't becoming a rare occasion but more popping up at Pacificas reach the 70k+ range.

We have 73k miles so no more warranty. Timeline:

December 2021 cold morning start slight rough idle and threw CEL.
Checked the code is was P0303 misfire in cylinder 3.
Changed all spark plugs and coil for cylinder 3 to be safe.
Coolant level seemed to be ok.

End of December slight rough idle on 2 cold mornings but no CEL.

1st week of January noticed the heater wasn't heating as much. Opened the hood and low coolant.
Added almost half a gallon.
Took to the mechanic to check, he checked coolant and wasn't low checked for hydrocarbons but didn't get any readings on it.
Drove it home that day, next morning went to start it and nothing.
Now it won't start, batteries are new, after talking to the mechanic he said if the cylinder did fill with coolant it will act like a dead battery.

Had it towed to the mechanic and he confirmed coolant in the cylinders. He is now working up prices. Said if we salvage the engine the heads will most likely need to come off and sent to machine shop to re-seat everything. If its bad when its opened up it will be a new engine.

I see complete engines are mopar online sites are around $4,500 plus $600 core and shipping so around $6,000 not including any labor.

·
Registered
2020 Billet Silver Pacifica S
81 Posts
This isn't sounding promising after buying my van. I spoke to my mechanic this week about it and sure enough they had a JEEP with the 3.6 in the shop with the same issue. They've seen several in the shop with this issue under 90,000 miles. 38,000 miles was the lowest mileage one they've work on because the dealer said it was out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
Are these failures all in 2017s? Any in subsequent model years yet?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm in the same boat, appears this isn't becoming a rare occasion but more popping up at Pacificas reach the 70k+ range.

We have 73k miles so no more warranty. Timeline:

December 2021 cold morning start slight rough idle and threw CEL.
Checked the code is was P0303 misfire in cylinder 3.
Changed all spark plugs and coil for cylinder 3 to be safe.
Coolant level seemed to be ok.

End of December slight rough idle on 2 cold mornings but no CEL.

1st week of January noticed the heater wasn't heating as much. Opened the hood and low coolant.
Added almost half a gallon.
Took to the mechanic to check, he checked coolant and wasn't low checked for hydrocarbons but didn't get any readings on it.
Drove it home that day, next morning went to start it and nothing.
Now it won't start, batteries are new, after talking to the mechanic he said if the cylinder did fill with coolant it will act like a dead battery.

Had it towed to the mechanic and he confirmed coolant in the cylinders. He is now working up prices. Said if we salvage the engine the heads will most likely need to come off and sent to machine shop to re-seat everything. If its bad when its opened up it will be a new engine.

I see complete engines are mopar online sites are around $4,500 plus $600 core and shipping so around $6,000 not including any labor.

our symptoms essentially identical with 63K
one thing we noticed was the defrost wasnt that strong but never saw issue with coolant level

yeah so as stated before we failed the block test as u did above. Luckily we never had the car not start. But im sure that would have been next.

in my photos look at the middle of the head where there is excess black soot near the valves, and the corresponding area on the gasket.
they said the head measured out of spec resulting in the exhaust fumes to enter the coolant and fail the block test
so head was replaced,

got the car back today. so far so good

Reactions: PacificaMinivanFan

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
our symptoms essentially identical with 63K
one thing we noticed was the defrost wasnt that strong but never saw issue with coolant level

yeah so as stated before we failed the block test as u did above. Luckily we never had the car not start. But im sure that would have been next.

in my photos look at the middle of the head where there is excess black soot near the valves, and the corresponding area on the gasket.
they said the head measured out of spec resulting in the exhaust fumes to enter the coolant and fail the block test
so head was replaced,

got the car back today. so far so good
So iwas it diagnosed as a head gasket failure? If so, any explanation of how it happened?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update with the mechanic. Definite head gasket failure, cylinder 3 filled with coolant and is still locked up. Had 2 options:

1. Remove heads and have them rebuilt, and hope the block is still ok, but with it not firing there is concern with the cylinder wall of cylinder 3. If I do the heads and labor looking at $4-5k provided the block will be ok.

2. Purchase a new complete engine from Chyrsler parts and install at $8k.

As to an explanation of how it happened there is none without measuring all tolerances. I don't have the time to waste on waiting for that and hoping remanufactured/rebuilt heads cures it without any lower end issue. So I opted for a new engine, sucks, but is what it is at this point. I know Chrysler won't do anything about it being out of warranty. The more I read and search the more models/brands I read that have had similar issues so not sure if its a known problem or just enough out there that some fail.

·
Registered
179 Posts
so i asked if they call this a head gasket failure or blown head gasket....It is not..
It was the head that failed, a la warped head at the level of the valves in the middle where the valves are .
they said it failed the block test and exhaust fumes were let into the coolant.
they said the head was slightly off at that level. He told me it was with in their spec but they just replaced the whole head. after two days from diagnosis it was finished.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Audio equipment Automotive wheel system
Automotive engine gasket Rim Circle Auto part Composite material

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
so i asked if they call this a head gasket failure or blown head gasket....It is not..
It was the head that failed, a la warped head at the level of the valves in the middle where the valves are .
they said it failed the block test and exhaust fumes were let into the coolant.
they said the head was slightly off at that level. He told me it was with in their spec but they just replaced the whole head. after two days from diagnosis it was finished.
What vehicle and what model year?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Pacifica

So I’m new here but Chrysler has lost me as a customer. I can’t justify ever recommending one of their products.
So me and the family come back from a trip to the ocean. When I get home we shut the van off and come back the next day to a no start with the starter clicking.

I replace the starter. Didn’t fix it. Both starters test good, batteries test within spec. Place the original starter back on and tow it to the dealership.
Dealership investigates. Says I need a starter so we get a starter coming, then says I need batteries so we put batteries on, dealer then states the motor is seized and is only rotating a little past 100 degrees and that there is metal shavings in the oil.
Dealer states that one of the cylinders is filled with coolant and internal damage had been sufficient enough that a it needs a new engine.
This absolutely turns my stomach. I had faith in the Chrysler brand so much and now im looking at replacing an engine.

have y’all seen this issues at this low of miles?
2017 Pacifica has 75,000 miles and I’m getting misfire cylinder 3. New spark plugs and swapped coil pack and still same error and it’s running a little rough.

121 - 140 of 180 Posts