2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,105 Posts
Keep an eye on your coolant and see if it goes down. That is what I noticed after getting the misfire. Then I pulled plug 3 and it was wet and smelled like coolant.
There is a test kit to test for exhaust gassed in the coolant. With the engine running you suck up a sample from the coolant overflow tank. If it changes color there is a leak.
Combustion Leak Detector

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update with the mechanic. Definite head gasket failure, cylinder 3 filled with coolant and is still locked up. Had 2 options:

1. Remove heads and have them rebuilt, and hope the block is still ok, but with it not firing there is concern with the cylinder wall of cylinder 3. If I do the heads and labor looking at $4-5k provided the block will be ok.

2. Purchase a new complete engine from Chyrsler parts and install at $8k.

As to an explanation of how it happened there is none without measuring all tolerances. I don't have the time to waste on waiting for that and hoping remanufactured/rebuilt heads cures it without any lower end issue. So I opted for a new engine, sucks, but is what it is at this point. I know Chrysler won't do anything about it being out of warranty. The more I read and search the more models/brands I read that have had similar issues so not sure if its a known problem or just enough out there that some fail.
Had the motor replaced so $8,400 later its still a pile of crap. It went back to the mechanic after it threw check engine and start/stop lights 30 miles from leaving the shop. They changed cam sensors, a couple of other things took it for a drive and same thing, 30 miles down the road throws codes.

Its now been at Dodge/Chrysler for 3 weeks and they have changed other sensors, then said its the cam. Replaced the camshaft and guess what, still throwing codes. They can't figure it out, and are going to keep trying, all while i'm without a car. It went in for a new motor the 2nd week of January and have not had it back since.

Bottom line if you have this car or engine, get rid of it. Now I'm out $8,400, no vehicle, its stuck at Chrysler and they can't figure it out. Its out of warranty, even though the new engine has a warranty means no lemon law that I can tell. I already put a deposit on something else and told them I just either want it fixed, or give me a fair trade in for it and I won't look back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the motor replaced so $8,400 later its still a pile of crap. It went back to the mechanic after it threw check engine and start/stop lights 30 miles from leaving the shop. They changed cam sensors, a couple of other things took it for a drive and same thing, 30 miles down the road throws codes.

Its now been at Dodge/Chrysler for 3 weeks and they have changed other sensors, then said its the cam. Replaced the camshaft and guess what, still throwing codes. They can't figure it out, and are going to keep trying, all while i'm without a car. It went in for a new motor the 2nd week of January and have not had it back since.

Bottom line if you have this car or engine, get rid of it. Now I'm out $8,400, no vehicle, its stuck at Chrysler and they can't figure it out. Its out of warranty, even though the new engine has a warranty means no lemon law that I can tell. I already put a deposit on something else and told them I just either want it fixed, or give me a fair trade in for it and I won't look back.
Just an update. Been 5 weeks now, last I heard they swapped the wrong cam and are now going to change the other. Have put in multiple calls in to get another update with no luck. Have since started a claim with Chrysler to push the dealer into getting it fixed or providing an update on the issue now.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,105 Posts
Not a Chrysler product but heard a story about a lemon law buy back that had 3 new motors put in and it turned out the dealer was only replacing the short block. They kept reusing the same cylinder heads, valves, camshafts, etc…Needles yo say had they actually replaced the engine all would have been fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but wanted to post on this one as well in case folks are following it.

Owner of a 2017 Pacifica Minivan with 72,300 miles here. A few weeks ago check engine light came on with a P0305 code. Independent mechanic assumed spark plug or coil issue, moved spark plugs around, then after similar code found that the head gasket is leaking. Van is at the dealership and we're waiting to hear if it is "just" the head gasket or a warped engine block. We've been quoted 4,200 for the head gasket repair and $12,000 + change for an engine replacement (if needed). We are in the same boat as others being out of warranty.

We are considering asking for a trade-in rather than dealing with the repair. Anybody have any success trading in their van and getting a good deal on a new one?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but wanted to post on this one as well in case folks are following it.

Owner of a 2017 Pacifica Minivan with 72,300 miles here. A few weeks ago check engine light came on with a P0305 code. Independent mechanic assumed spark plug or coil issue, moved spark plugs around, then after similar code found that the head gasket is leaking. Van is at the dealership and we're waiting to hear if it is "just" the head gasket or a warped engine block. We've been quoted 4,200 for the head gasket repair and $12,000 + change for an engine replacement (if needed). We are in the same boat as others being out of warranty.

We are considering asking for a trade-in rather than dealing with the repair. Anybody have any success trading in their van and getting a good deal on a new one?
Just a suggestion. If they say it’s just a head gasket that needs to be replaced take the van to an independent mechanic and see what they would charge to replace it. $4200 seems pretty excessive for a gasket replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a suggestion. If they say it’s just a head gasket that needs to be replaced take the van to an independent mechanic and see what they would charge to replace it. $4200 seems pretty excessive for a gasket replacement.
Yes, I agree this is expensive, but we are actually having trouble finding a garage in our area who wants to do the work (and can do it in a timely manner). We are going on 2.5 weeks without this vehicle (and quite a bit in rental car costs) and just want it diagnosed as quickly as possible so we can figure out next steps. Right now the dealership is the fastest option for us.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yes, I agree this is expensive, but we are actually having trouble finding a garage in our area who wants to do the work (and can do it in a timely manner). We are going on 2.5 weeks without this vehicle (and quite a bit in rental car costs) and just want it diagnosed as quickly as possible so we can figure out next steps. Right now the dealership is the fastest option for us.
Ok, I wish you well.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This was us in May, basically the same story you have! Never ending check engine light, 72-ish thousand miles, empty coolant but no leaks. Our code was P0303 however, and we had the spark plug and coil replaced. Check engine light would go off for a few days and then be on again. The last time I dropped it off for service and the dealership, I was approached by a salesman while waiting for my son to pick me up. To make a long story short, we traded in the 2017 Pacifica for a 2020 Pacifica, both Touring L Plus, downgraded a few features sadly, but at least no check engine light. At trade-in, the current loan balance was paid off, and we were able to get two-year service included with the new loan. I have no idea what happened with the 2017 Pacifica. I talked to service a few days later and I was told they would probably have to contact Chrysler to get a rep to look at it.

I'm not going to lie, I did love that van very much, but knowing I don't have a gray cloud of doom hovering above it, just waiting to unleash it's wrath, more than makes up for the loss. My advice, get out! Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was us in May, basically the same story you have! Never ending check engine light, 72-ish thousand miles, empty coolant but no leaks. Our code was P0303 however, and we had the spark plug and coil replaced. Check engine light would go off for a few days and then be on again. The last time I dropped it off for service and the dealership, I was approached by a salesman while waiting for my son to pick me up. To make a long story short, we traded in the 2017 Pacifica for a 2020 Pacifica, both Touring L Plus, downgraded a few features sadly, but at least no check engine light. At trade-in, the current loan balance was paid off, and we were able to get two-year service included with the new loan. I have no idea what happened with the 2017 Pacifica. I talked to service a few days later and I was told they would probably have to contact Chrysler to get a rep to look at it.

I'm not going to lie, I did love that van very much, but knowing I don't have a gray cloud of doom hovering above it, just waiting to unleash it's wrath, more than makes up for the loss. My advice, get out! Good luck!
Thank you! I was checking out the dealership's used car inventory. We both work, have 3 teens at home. We need reliable vehicles. This is our 3rd Chrysler minivan (the other two never had engine issues even past 100,000 miles). We are pretty upset that it is having engine trouble with such low mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just updating this thread for anybody following. My 2017 van with 72,300 miles ended up "just" needing a head gasket repair ($4,100). If your pacifica is showing a misfire on any cylinder I encourage folks to ask the dealer or your independent mechanic to look for a coolant leak. We have spent almost a month trying to get this diagnosed (and fixed) and a lot of $ on rental cars while waiting for service appointments and parts to come in. The sooner you know the less damage it will have done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018 Pacifica

So I’m new here but Chrysler has lost me as a customer. I can’t justify ever recommending one of their products.
So me and the family come back from a trip to the ocean. When I get home we shut the van off and come back the next day to a no start with the starter clicking.

I replace the starter. Didn’t fix it. Both starters test good, batteries test within spec. Place the original starter back on and tow it to the dealership.
Dealership investigates. Says I need a starter so we get a starter coming, then says I need batteries so we put batteries on, dealer then states the motor is seized and is only rotating a little past 100 degrees and that there is metal shavings in the oil.
Dealer states that one of the cylinders is filled with coolant and internal damage had been sufficient enough that a it needs a new engine.
This absolutely turns my stomach. I had faith in the Chrysler brand so much and now im looking at replacing an engine.

have y’all seen this issues at this low of miles?
Same here. At 76k miles on our 2018 Pacifica, dealer found coolant in cylinders. We have been approved for a new engine (we have the extended 100k mi warranty through MOPAR) but dealer just received final authorization to order it last week. They've had my van since May 12 of this year. Dealership has been great, but even they had a tough time getting communication from Chrysler. Now, another possible 3 month wait for my new engine.

Sorry this is happening to so many of us!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here. At 76k miles on our 2018 Pacifica, dealer found coolant in cylinders. We have been approved for a new engine (we have the extended 100k mi warranty through MOPAR) but dealer just received final authorization to order it last week. They've had my van since May 12 of this year. Dealership has been great, but even they had a tough time getting communication from Chrysler. Now, another possible 3 month wait for my new engine.

Sorry this is happening to so many of us!
Have you opened a case with Chrysler cares? Across the many threads discussing this issue, at least two people mentioned they were able to get parts faster by opening a case with Chrysler cares.

·
Administrator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,942 Posts
Just curious. Those with 2018's that are seeing these issues, can you post your vehicle build dates? I wonder if there is any given time frame we can nail down for these failures.

As I have a 2018, I'm concerned that I might be vulnerable. I only have about 70,000 kilometres (42,000 miles) on mine so far. This information will help my decision to keep or trade my van sooner than later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just curious. Those with 2018's that are seeing these issues, can you post your vehicle build dates? I wonder if there is any given time frame we can nail down for these failures.

As I have a 2018, I'm concerned that I might be vulnerable. I only have about 70,000 kilometres (42,000 miles) on mine so far. This information will help my decision to keep or trade my van sooner than later.
My van is 30 miles away at the dealer, so I can't check the build date. Hope others can help!

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited (non-Hybrid), 2018 UConnect Radio Upgrade
58 Posts
Just hit the P303 code (cylinder 3 misfire) yesterday on a 2017 Pacifica Limited with 68k miles. Car's currently at the dealer and I'll update this thread with my experiences. They're going to pressurize the coolant system over the long weekend, will scope the cylinder, and will test the coolant for combustion byproducts, so hopefully on Tuesday I'll know more. I did get the Mopar Lifetime Extended Warranty, so if a gasket change / cyl head change / engine change is needed, it should be covered. Biggest pain is that they only cover $35/day for rental cars and only up to 5 days' worth, and rental cars are a LOT more expensive than that these days.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited (non-Hybrid), 2018 UConnect Radio Upgrade
58 Posts
Just hit the P303 code (cylinder 3 misfire) yesterday on a 2017 Pacifica Limited with 68k miles. Car's currently at the dealer and I'll update this thread with my experiences. They're going to pressurize the coolant system over the long weekend, will scope the cylinder, and will test the coolant for combustion byproducts, so hopefully on Tuesday I'll know more. I did get the Mopar Lifetime Extended Warranty, so if a gasket change / cyl head change / engine change is needed, it should be covered. Biggest pain is that they only cover $35/day for rental cars and only up to 5 days' worth, and rental cars are a LOT more expensive than that these days.
Well, the cylinder is leaking coolant, so we're looking at either a head gasket, cylinder head, or new engine -- they're starting the teardown now and should know tomorrow which it is.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, the cylinder is leaking coolant, so we're looking at either a head gasket, cylinder head, or new engine -- they're starting the teardown now and should know tomorrow which it is.
How did you approach the dealer about the problems? Did you have any knowledge of this problem before hand or just let them deal with it. I am a bit low on coolant and experiencing a rough idle at times and I'm at 55k miles... so I am fearing the worst. I plan on making my first contact with a dealer soon to see if I can at least get something documented.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts