2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
How did you approach the dealer about the problems? Did you have any knowledge of this problem before hand or just let them deal with it. I am a bit low on coolant and experiencing a rough idle at times and I'm at 55k miles... so I am fearing the worst. I plan on making my first contact with a dealer soon to see if I can at least get something documented.
Do it ASAP if you are below the 60k Powertrain warranty coverage. Go to the dealer and have them do a coolant pressure test to confirm the leak and likely headgasket replacement. This should allow you to get it covered under the manufacturers warranty. We had a cylinder 4 misfire occur at 58k miles (initial fix was spark plug coil packs) but issue continued until we brought it in at 62k after it ran completely out of coolant. Head Gaskets need replaced ($4200) and will take 2-3 weeks. We have to pay for it ourselves because I initially took it to a local repair shop rather than waiting 4-6 weeks to get it into Chrysler Dealer. Chrysler Cares and dealership will now not honor fixing it under the Powertrain warranty since we are 62k and not the original owners. I have filed a nhtsa report due to safety concerns with the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just hit the P303 code (cylinder 3 misfire) yesterday on a 2017 Pacifica Limited with 68k miles. Car's currently at the dealer and I'll update this thread with my experiences. They're going to pressurize the coolant system over the long weekend, will scope the cylinder, and will test the coolant for combustion byproducts, so hopefully on Tuesday I'll know more. I did get the Mopar Lifetime Extended Warranty, so if a gasket change / cyl head change / engine change is needed, it should be covered. Biggest pain is that they only cover $35/day for rental cars and only up to 5 days' worth, and rental cars are a LOT more expensive than that these days.
Good thing you have a warranty. On top of taking 2-3 weeks to tear down the engine having to pay for a rental car during that time is a huge inconvenience and adds about $1000 bucks to our bill to replace the head gaskets.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited (non-Hybrid), 2018 UConnect Radio Upgrade
58 Posts
How did you approach the dealer about the problems? Did you have any knowledge of this problem before hand or just let them deal with it. I am a bit low on coolant and experiencing a rough idle at times and I'm at 55k miles... so I am fearing the worst. I plan on making my first contact with a dealer soon to see if I can at least get something documented.
I did look up the code when I pulled it with an OBDII reader, so I saw this thread before I brought it in, so I was prepared for this to be a major repair. The key is that the misfire was happening on my van only on cold start -- they were not able to reproduce the problem after the engine was all warmed up, but I'm not sure if that's just because the severity of the problem on my van was less than some others' experiences here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Going through this same process right now, let me know how yours goes.
Just spoke with the dealer and after diagnosing the block and the cylinder head, they are confident it only needs a new cylinder head / head gasket for the right side. Ballpark out of pocket would be $6-8k (don't have exact numbers yet though), but the Mopar warranty will cover it for the deductible of $100. Parts are available, so it should be fixed by some time next week (estimated). I'd say the warranty paid for itself already.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just spoke with the dealer and after diagnosing the block and the cylinder head, they are confident it only needs a new cylinder head / head gasket for the right side. Ballpark out of pocket would be $6-8k (don't have exact numbers yet though), but the Mopar warranty will cover it for the deductible of $100. Parts are available, so it should be fixed by some time next week (estimated). I'd say the warranty paid for itself already.
That's why I took the Mopar warranty. I am still under 45K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just shared my engine nightmare (coolant intrusion and head gasket replaced last year....this year same error code and engine needs replacing). Still under Certified PreOwned warranty and they won't pay. It's been in the shop for 3 months and I am waiting for them to respond to my lawyer. Details and other complaints on this thread. Warped Engine Block?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1

2017 61k miles, all maintenance done on time, coolant leak, dealer said it needs new head gasket. (No visible leak on the outside of the ). Chrysler care is a joke - no help there.
Additionally mine has the rocker arm ticking noise.

interesting how the van is falling apart right at the end of the warranty period.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Just hit the P303 code (cylinder 3 misfire) yesterday on a 2017 Pacifica Limited with 68k miles. Car's currently at the dealer and I'll update this thread with my experiences. They're going to pressurize the coolant system over the long weekend, will scope the cylinder, and will test the coolant for combustion byproducts, so hopefully on Tuesday I'll know more. I did get the Mopar Lifetime Extended Warranty, so if a gasket change / cyl head change / engine change is needed, it should be covered. Biggest pain is that they only cover $35/day for rental cars and only up to 5 days' worth, and rental cars are a LOT more expensive than that these days.

+1

2017 61k miles, all maintenance done on time, coolant leak, dealer said it needs new head gasket. (No visible leak on the outside of the ). Chrysler care is a joke - no help there.
Additionally mine has the rocker arm ticking noise.

interesting how the van is falling apart right at the end of the warranty period.

Hello to you both!

We understand your frustrations regarding your vehicle's engine and would like to offer some support alongside your dealer appointment. Please send us a private message with your case number (if provided) or your VIN. Hope to hear back shortly!

Hannah
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yikes. I have had zero issues with my 2005 Odyssey but this thread has me seriously concerned with my 2021 PACHY. Hoping Toyota comes out with a plug in Sienna before my PACHY warranty expires so I can trade it in.
Well, good news is over manufacture will be offering Stow and Go soon that what made me switch from Chevy to Chrysler product so far I should feel Lucky that no problem with My 2017 Limited at 57,000 miles but you never know reading the posts with all the complains.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Digging into the previous NHTSA data from the last round 2011-2013 it has been reported cylinder 3 or 5 some times both as the point of failure. Multiple brands, Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler being they all used the same engine as most of them do today. The investigation revealed it had something to do with sand and casting causing defects from the foundry making the engine blocks. The top reported complaints were engine tapping, misfiring, head gasket failure, coolant in the combustion chamber, engine stalling, and total engine failure.

This is why it is important to report problems to the NTSHA to get the ball rolling for investigations.

Report a Vehicle Safety Problem, Equipment Issue | NHTSA

This problem would be reported as:

Engine: includes the internal combustion engine and related systems that power the vehicle such as cooling (fan, radiator, hoses, coolant) and exhaust (catalyst, pipes, muffler) system components, fan/drive belt components, turbo/superchargers, and other related engine components for gasoline, diesel, or other internal combustion engines that may present a safety hazard.

A recent problem with RAM trucks only took 22 complaints to begin an investigation last month. While this is not engine-related and possibly a fuel pump issue, it doesn't matter. It began an investigation into the problem.

NHTSA Investigating Ram HD Diesel Trucks over Stall Reports

NHTSA Probes Cummins-Equipped Diesel Ram HD Trucks Over Fuel Pump, Stalling Issues

DOT NHTSA ODI Document
Yes I was wandering same engines are used in cars vans and trucks and having same problem, good posting.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
It has been said somewhere in this forum that some Pentastar engines are built in Canada and others in Mexico. How does one determine where their engine was built? Is there perhaps a digit in the vehicle identification number that signifies the origin? Or maybe there's a digit stamped on the engine number. If so, where is the engine number located?

Are there more head gasket failures on engines manufactured in one country versus the other? What about engines with cracked blocks?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,105 Posts
It has been said somewhere in this forum that some Pentastar engines are built in Canada and others in Mexico. How does one determine where their engine was built? Is there perhaps a digit in the vehicle identification number that signifies the origin? Or maybe there's a digit stamped on the engine number. If so, where is the engine number located?

Are there more head gasket failures on engines manufactured in one country versus the other? What about engines with cracked blocks?
According to Wikipedia Pentastar engines are not built in Canada. It also doesn't mention how they can be identified.
They list 3 locations. Dundee Engine Plant in Dundee, Michigan, Trenton Engine Plant in Trenton, Michigan, and Saltillo Engine Plant in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
Ok, got it. My original questions remain:
1. How do we tell the engine manufacturing site where the engine was made?
2. Which engine manufacturing site has more head gasket failures?
3. Which engine manufacturing site has more failures due to cracked blocks?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just an update as my van is still at the dealer. They replaced the cylinder head, but upon starting the engine after reassembly, the car is throwing a new code (P0390 - Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Error). The dealer is stumped as they think they may have gotten a bad cylinder head (the first one shipped from LA was busted and this one came from Orlando), so they opened a case with Chrysler to get a recommendation for how to proceed (I asked if it's possible that if it's a bad cylinder head, if that caused additional damage to the long block and they said they were waiting for the factory to respond to their escalation for their recommendation). So the Van's been in the shop so far since 9/2. This is pretty extraordinary. Dealer also said another Pacifica just came in with what they think is the same issue. They also said they see TONS of Pacificas and this is still not considered a widespread problem in their experience. But they did say it was unusual for even a low number of vehicles to have this kind of major engine issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just an update as my van is still at the dealer. They replaced the cylinder head, but upon starting the engine after reassembly, the car is throwing a new code (P0390 - Camshaft Position Sensor Signal Error). The dealer is stumped as they think they may have gotten a bad cylinder head (the first one shipped from LA was busted and this one came from Orlando), so they opened a case with Chrysler to get a recommendation for how to proceed (I asked if it's possible that if it's a bad cylinder head, if that caused additional damage to the long block and they said they were waiting for the factory to respond to their escalation for their recommendation). So the Van's been in the shop so far since 9/2. This is pretty extraordinary. Dealer also said another Pacifica just came in with what they think is the same issue. They also said they see TONS of Pacificas and this is still not considered a widespread problem in their experience. But they did say it was unusual for even a low number of vehicles to have this kind of major engine issue.
Further update: When they originally installed the new cylinder head, some oil gallery bolts were not torqued properly, so they had to disassemble / torque / reassemble at which point they saw the new code (P0390) -- so now the plan is to replace the tone rings (so, really the camshafts since those come with the tone rings installed-- the tone rings are not separately replaceable) and the phasers and see if that fixes the issue (they verified that the tone rings were somehow out of phase with each other!).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Further update: When they originally installed the new cylinder head, some oil gallery bolts were not torqued properly, so they had to disassemble / torque / reassemble at which point they saw the new code (P0390) -- so now the plan is to replace the tone rings (so, really the camshafts since those come with the tone rings installed-- the tone rings are not separately replaceable) and the phasers and see if that fixes the issue (they verified that the tone rings were somehow out of phase with each other!).
Repairs were completed yesterday. All-in, the cost ended up being just over $10k (billed to the Mopar warranty). If it was just the cylinder head replacement, it would have been closer to $7k. Will continue to watch it of course, but I'm hoping we have at least another trouble-free 70k miles (at least!). Hope others who have similar issues find (cost-effective!) resolution as well.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts