2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: does your auto climate control automatically fire up full fans and hit the recirculate button when you get into a very hot van in the summer? (Like all of my other cars have done?)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The 2018 I had and the 2021 have never auto recirculated. I have always had to push that manually.

Reactions: froglips

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
915 Posts
Full fans yes. Recirculate no.

Reactions: froglips

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, all.

Frankly, the recirculate thing matches what my GTI does. But then, it's a much smaller cabin--and the VW A/C is wicked good.

Offhand, does anyone know the specs for the outlet temperature of a fully running A/C system on these vans?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks, all.

Frankly, the recirculate thing matches what my GTI does. But then, it's a much smaller cabin--and the VW A/C is wicked good.

Offhand, does anyone know the specs for the outlet temperature of a fully running A/C system on these vans?
The actual temperatures you'll see will vary a little with the ambient temp and humidity of the incoming air. Having said that, under optimal conditions about 36-42°F is a reasonable expectation. The outer vents are usually slightly warmer than the middle vents simply because they're further from the evaporator core.

The temps for the rear vents will probably be a few degrees higher because the air must travel much further from the rear evaporator before exiting the roof vents.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
IMO the auto HVAC system in these vehicles isn't very good. I consistently have to set the temps lower and intervene to get it to keep the van cool, where in all my other cars with auto climate control I just set it to a temp and forget it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife and I have separate thoughts on how the AC works when it is in Auto. First she complains because it is slow for the fans to wind up. Well, that is done on purpose to prevent too much current draw. Secondly she things that lowering the temp to LO makes it cool faster than just putting it down a few degrees. There is a Max A/C button in the climate control settings that makes everything LO, turns off auto and turns on recirculate. I find it unnecessary. I find it is best on a hot day that before you hop in the van, just turn it on remotely and let it cool itself for a few minutes before you hop in.

The only time I have ever seen recirculate come on automatically is in my son's Chevy Equinox when it overheats. It is old and has a few coolant system issues.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My wife and I have separate thoughts on how the AC works when it is in Auto. First she complains because it is slow for the fans to wind up. Well, that is done on purpose to prevent too much current draw. Secondly she things that lowering the temp to LO makes it cool faster than just putting it down a few degrees. There is a Max A/C button in the climate control settings that makes everything LO, turns off auto and turns on recirculate. I find it unnecessary. I find it is best on a hot day that before you hop in the van, just turn it on remotely and let it cool itself for a few minutes before you hop in.
I'm with your wife. I just don't like the way it works compared to other cars. Your explanation of it being to "prevent current draw" doesnt make sense given than other vehicle manufacturer's systems don't operate this way.

The only time I have ever seen recirculate come on automatically is in my son's Chevy Equinox when it overheats. It is old and has a few coolant system issues.
Toyota/Lexus vehicles automatically turn on the recirculate function depending on the HVAC mode and draw. In fact, they default to recirculate on any time the outside temp is over about 75 degrees,

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm with your wife. I just don't like the way it works compared to other cars. Your explanation of it being to "prevent current draw" doesnt make sense given than other vehicle manufacturer's systems don't operate this way.
It is the only explanation I have right now based on thoughts regarding the start/stop system and aux battery draw. I could definitely be in complete left field. And so far Fiat Chrysler (now Stellantis) has been doing weird stuff to their vehicles that don't always make sense.

·
Registered
305 Posts

My wife has some similar thoughts. In the winter when she is cold, she will crank the thermostat all the way up until the house is warm enough for her then she will turn it back down. She actually thinks the heater puts out hotter air. She doesn't understand it only runs at one temperature until the thermostat reaches it's set point.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It is the only explanation I have right now based on thoughts regarding the start/stop system and aux battery draw. I could definitely be in complete left field. And so far Fiat Chrysler (now Stellantis) has been doing weird stuff to their vehicles that don't always make sense.
My Mercedes has auto start stop and doesnt even have an aux battery and it doesnt behave that way. I don't think there is a reason, I think the system just isn't very well designed.

My wife has some similar thoughts. In the winter when she is cold, she will crank the thermostat all the way up until the house is warm enough for her then she will turn it back down. She actually thinks the heater puts out hotter air. She doesn't understand it only runs at one temperature until the thermostat reaches it's set point.
The issue is in this situaton lowering the temp does make the Pacifica's HVAC system respond faster. It seems to need a much larger delta between the set temp and the actual temp than most cars to really decide to crank up the system. For instance, both of my cars are parked in the same garage, so they come from the same set temp. In order for the car to feel like its cooling and comfortable my Mercedes can be set on like 70-72. Pacifica needs to be set to like 66. You can achieve the same thing by turning up the fan speed, but that kicks it out of AUTO.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife too. Same thing.

And of course, if it's summer then it needs to be 70 degrees in the house. But when it's winter, 70 degrees is WAY TOO COLD! MUST TURN UP THERMOSTAT!

In winter, it must be 74 degrees in the house. But God forbid I suggest setting the summer thermostat to 74...

Apparently I have the extra gene that understands that a temperature is a temperature is a temperature...

Reactions: fifthblindmouse

·
Registered
305 Posts
My Mercedes has auto start stop and doesnt even have an aux battery and it doesnt behave that way. I don't think there is a reason, I think the system just isn't very well designed.

The issue is in this situaton lowering the temp does make the Pacifica's HVAC system respond faster. It seems to need a much larger delta between the set temp and the actual temp than most cars to really decide to crank up the system. For instance, both of my cars are parked in the same garage, so they come from the same set temp. In order for the car to feel like its cooling and comfortable my Mercedes can be set on like 70-72. Pacifica needs to be set to like 66. You can achieve the same thing by turning up the fan speed, but that kicks it out of AUTO.
YES, the one huge takeaway I have from this forum is the ESS with the AUX battery is a horrible design. And a lot of electrical gremlins are actually caused by a failing AUX battery.
It seems to me that the automatic climate control might moves the blend doors to help maintain the temperature. By setting it to Low totally closes the blend door to just The AC. I find on really hot days if I can’t remote start the vehicle it’s best to open the windows for a minute or to to vent out a lot of the hot air. On a really hot day I'm never satisfied with the AC. Don’t get me wrong the AC will bring the interior to a comfortable level. But I’ve had cars that if I maxed out the AC I’d freeze and have to back off the AC.

·
Registered
342 Posts
First thing I do after starting engine when I get into the hot van is rotate the fan speed knob to full. When the temperature gets comfortable I put it back into auto mode. Beats waiting for the temperature to gradually come down if I started off in auto mode. Had to do the same thing in my 2007 Odyssey.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
First thing I do after starting engine when I get into the hot van is rotate the fan speed knob to full. When the temperature gets comfortable I put it back into auto mode. Beats waiting for the temperature to gradually come down if I started off in auto mode. Had to do the same thing in my 2007 Odyssey.
Should not have to do this in a vehicle with automatic climate control.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
32 Posts
Personally when the vehicle is too hot, fastest way to lower the temperature is to open all windows, turn on the car AC at low speed, wait for it to start blowing cold air, turn fan to max and close windows.

Ideally you want to cool all the vents before blowing that hot air into the cabin, while open windows will lower the temperature to exterior temp pretty quickly.

Learned the start with low fan speed from a Renault Laguna I rented in Europe long time ago that did this, at first hated it, but noticed it was faster than what I was doing before. Tried it when I came back home and have been doing it since with great results.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I live in Houston, the auto climate control works fine. It'll "spool" up yes, but that's to give the system time to get cool, or else it just blows hot air for a few seconds. It'll go full blast after that to cool down the interior. Then settle down to maintain. I think people who were never used to full auto climate equated performance on the fan speed. If the Pac has been sitting out in the sun, I also open all the windows to evacuate the super heated air. I find it hilarious that people just start driving in their super hot cars. That's hot!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I agree but it is a simple solution to a shortcoming of the van.
Our 2017 goes full blast in full auto. Maybe something is wrong with yours.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts