2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, We have a 2017 Pacifica Limited with every bell and whistle that you can get. We have noticed, disturbingly, that if a childs hand, or body, or anything, gets in between the closing door and the door frame, the door does NOT stop automatically. We can find no sensors anywhere near the doors...am I missing something? Is this "the way it comes"? . This door closes completely and securely regardless of what is in its way. The only thing you can do is pull the handle to open it again, and there is a slight delay in that function. It would be a terribly long time with a childs and crushed in there. If this is "the way it comes" this is a huge safety over site in a top of the line vehicle and I'm sorry I didn't recognize this prior to purchasing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The door is designed to reverse if it meets resistance. Test it by blocking the door from closing using a rolled up blanket or something similar - if it doesn't reverse then you definitely have a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a problem. One of which is the dealer doesn't seem to kow the door should stop/reverse when it meets resistance. Thanks for confirming. Back to the shop i go

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do have a problem. One of which is the dealer doesn't seem to kow the door should stop/reverse when it meets resistance. Thanks for confirming. Back to the shop i go
lol (about the dealer)

Here's the quote from the 2018 manual - should be the same for 2017.

NOTE:
• If anything obstructs the power sliding side door while it is closing or opening, the door will automatically reverse to the closed or open position, provided it meets sufficient resistance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 'sufficient resistance' is high enough to mess up a child's finger.
But I think that's across the board with every manufacturer with those kind of doors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 'sufficient resistance' is high enough to mess up a child's finger.
But I think that's across the board with every manufacturer with those kind of doors.
I can attest to the truth in the statement from first hand experience. Not with a pacifica but with another minivan, and it takes a considerable amount of force to stop the door from closing. The sufficient resistance required is usually not something that a small child can muster, which often makes it a safety hazard. I hope you get it fixed before a child gets hurt

·
Registered
60 Posts

I tested the '18 Odyssey and the door reversed with just the slightest pressure on my arm. The Pacifica scared me a bit with how much I had to push back on it to get it to reverse. Just my experience and only on the one Odyssey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tested the '18 Odyssey and the door reversed with just the slightest pressure on my arm. The Pacifica scared me a bit with how much I had to push back on it to get it to reverse. Just my experience and only on the one Odyssey.
Its kind of scary that the Pacifica has to be pushed back with some force for the automatic door stop to work the way it should. It really makes me wonder how safe kids are dealing with these doors, hopefully its an issue that is resolved soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tested the Pacifica door as well and it left bruises on my arm. It eventually stopped, but fingers and small children are definitely at risk. I tried it on the Odyssey too, and while it stopped with a little less force, it was a little finicky. I wish the sliding doors could be as sensitive as a garage door where it would stop if anything passed by a sensor (and have the sensors up and down the doors).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts