2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dealership. Was told the auxiliary battery is dead causing the stop/start to not work. (I don’t care about the stop/start function...never use it).
Will having a dead auxiliary battery drain the main battery? One service guy told me No & another one told me Yes! We are going on a road trip next week...I don’t want my van to die. But trying to avoid paying $260 right now to replace it. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
490 Posts
If the Aux battery is connected, it will bring down the main battery, and could cause you to have to replace the main battery as well. Disconnect the negative terminal of the aux battery. You will see the A symbol light on your dash, and a message about Stop/Start not Available, but it will not hurt anything.

If you do want to replace that battery, you can shop around at battery/automotive stores and you will probably get a much better price. While there, be sure you have them check the main battery, just in case it has already been compromised by the dead aux battery.

Reactions: LittleLily

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The light on my dash is already on. Are you saying that means that the battery is already disconnected? Or that I need to disconnect it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also agree a dead/dying/bad aux battery will harm your main battery. You still need to disconnect it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
490 Posts
The light on my dash is already on. Are you saying that means that the battery is already disconnected? Or that I need to disconnect it?
That light just indicates that there is a problem with the Stop/Start system. The dead aux battery will cause this light to come on. If you do not disconnect it, it will be discharging your main battery when the vehicle is off. This could leave you without enough power in the battery to start the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got back from the dealership. Was told the auxiliary battery is dead causing the stop/start to not work. (I don’t care about the stop/start function...never use it).
Will having a dead auxiliary battery drain the main battery? One service guy told me No & another one told me Yes! We are going on a road trip next week...I don’t want my van to die. But trying to avoid paying $260 right now to replace it. Thanks!!
Just brought my 2019 Touring L to the dealer two days ago because I got the "Battery Charging" error for stop/start. They had to replace both batteries. Fortunately, it was covered under warranty. So glad it happened now. My 36,000 mile warranty runs out in 900 miles.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So, is this a bad design and can I expect to be constantly concerned about the Aux battery killing the main battery? I know I can remove the ground from the Aux battery and just be stuck looking at the light.
When I got this Charging message, they replaced the Aux but weeks later when things were not fully correct, I took it back and replaced the Main too. On my 2019 both were covered under warranty. Sounds like you have to feed this van batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just brought my 2019 Touring L to the dealer two days ago because I got the "Battery Charging" error for stop/start. They had to replace both batteries. Fortunately, it was covered under warranty. So glad it happened now. My 36,000 mile warranty runs out in 900 miles.
[/QUO
Hmmm...the dealership told me batteries aren’t covered under a warranty?? We even bought the extended warranty. I’ll have to look into this.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So, is this a bad design and can I expect to be constantly concerned about the Aux battery killing the main battery? I know I can remove the ground from the Aux battery and just be stuck looking at the light.
When I got this Charging message, they replaced the Aux but weeks later when things were not fully correct, I took it back and replaced the Main too. On my 2019 both were covered under warranty. Sounds like you have to feed this van batteries.
Sadly I believe the Pacifica is very hungry for electricity and as a result can eat through the capacity of either the main or auxiliary batteries. Since both of these batteries are a AGM type they do not like to be fully discharged as it reduces their lifespan. When one starts to fail it will suck the life out of the other so its somewhat of a viscus cycle. The minuscule gain in fuel mileage with the Pacifica's ESS design has cost Chrysler a tremendous amount in negative publicity.

No one likes to be stranded with their van not starting, let alone because of the poor ESS design. Although it seems like Chrysler is covering the two batteries under the 3yr/36K warranty others who are outside of these limits are stuck with a significant repair cost.

·
Registered
267 Posts
2017 here. 3.1 years 64000km and all batteries are just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried using a Battery Tender to keep the battery fully charged and to avoid the unbalanced batteries, especially if not driven for a few days? If so, would you just connect it to the aux battery?

·
Registered
9 Posts
YES! It will drain the main battery to literally nothing. I still believe something about the auxilliary battery needs to be recalled, based on other posts I have seen. But, here was my experience. We were getting ready to take ours in for the recall and it suddenly just stopped charging. We got it to the dealer and they performed the recall service and tested both batteries. The auxilliary battery failed, so we had to pay for a new one. Less than one year later (last month), the Auto Stop light comes on and that function no longer works, so I took it in again, thinking it was related to the recall. It was not, but the new auxiliary battery had failed. So, they covered it under warranty, but I am now expecting the auxilliary battery to just keep failing. I know, that is pessimistic.

Replace the battery. Otherwise, you will have to start jump starting your van every day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Touring-L 54000

On second Aux battery, and a new main engine wiring harness. Which took 3 weeks to ship and then diagnose and then ship again.

This is our 5th multi day repair electrical issue with this vehicle.
We have also already started having sensors failures. As if magic we lost an O2 1k miles after warranty with another sensor 4k miles later. MOPAR is awesome.

HUGE buyer beware for this vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone tried using a Battery Tender to keep the battery fully charged and to avoid the unbalanced batteries, especially if not driven for a few days? If so, would you just connect it to the aux battery?
Might be a good idea . May auxiliary went south before the warranty was up and they replaced both. I only drive 4.2 miles to work and 4.2 miles back 2 x a day . This is not enough to keep the Aux charged and I need to run it on the highway or Idle for 1/2 hr to charge it sufficiently. I wait wit anticipation to hear if someone has tried it and if you can get away with just the Aux

·
Registered
White 2020 touring + S - 20" tires -all black inside
67 Posts
I use battery tenders on all my vehicles and tractors too.
I dont see any reason why you could not put one on the van.
The question is which battery would you put it on, the large or smaller one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
66 miles on it.
Auxiliary Battery neg cable disconnected.
Spare tire ordered
Oil filters and oil on the way.
I think my beautiful wonderful wife likes the van a little more than me....😭

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use battery tenders on all my vehicles and tractors too.
I dont see any reason why you could not put one on the van.
The question is which battery would you put it on, the large or smaller one?
Yes, which one to put it on?

When the van is shut off the Aux and main batteries are connected to each other in parallel so charging one will actually charge the other when the van is off. However because they are AGM type batteries (not the lead acid flooded type from years ago) I'm not sure charging them together is the correct think to do.

For AGM type batteries the voltage and amperage needs to be adjusted as you get closer to fully charged so you need a charger that has been designed to charge AGM batteries. One thing for sure is that the Aux batteries seem to fail at a quicker rate than the main for our Pacifica's.

Because the 2 batteries are connected when the van is off and one has the potential to fail the other will surely be drain by the one which failing.

Likewise, I'm not too sure how charging them when they are in parallel would work if one of the batteries is beginning to fail. The safest approach would be to disconnect each and charge them separately, but this is not to practical. I'm not sure how our alternator charges our batteries, if it does them independently when the van is running?

·
Registered
67 Posts
So what would be the logical choice here
#1 disconnect the neg cable on the aux battery
or
#2 buy a smartstop device
To keep the small bat from draining the larger one?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts