2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to manually condition the battery? If not, I'm hoping FCA catches wind of this post and implements it in a software update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery conditioning is a process used to prepare the battery to function to its fullest potential. Something that is most commonly needed to be done in the winter when it's cold. I haven't found a way to manually condition the battery.

As it stands now, the car does it on its own so you may spend miles of your trip running ICE because the battery isn't ready. If you could manually condition, the battery would be ready when you left and you could drive electric only from the get go.

It would be nice if FCA could just add a condition button in the uconnect app and the battery could just use the electricity from it being plugged in to condition it. It would also be nice if FCA wouldn't have the car go to sleep when it's plugged in to help facilitate this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you talking about active thermal battery management? Few EV's have such systems (like the Tesla's). Unless you live in extremely hot or extremely cold climates, you won't need such "conditioning" to run in EV mode with today's battery chemistries. The battery performs slightly worse with lower temperatures, but returns to normal when it gets warm again.
I don't know for a fact but I would assume the heat generated by the ICE of the Pacifica could heat up the battery if the outside temperature is too low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My question is more alluding to I don't want the ICE to run. The battery warms up itself as the ICE warms it or as it's used. I'd prefer to be able to warm it myself so the ICE doesn't run.

·
Super Moderator
2,001 Posts
Oh, I see. I believe the only way to do it is to schedule the charge to happen right before the planned departure.
How exactly it works I don't know. The manual says:
Cold Weather Operation
If the outside ambient temperature is 5°F (-15°C) or below,
the instrument cluster will request the vehicle to be
plugged in to provide conditioning of the vehicle high
voltage battery.
It is unclear when this request will happen. Too late to do it upon a departure.

Chrysler designed the van to be as conventional as possible, don't hold your breath on them enabling any manual controls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. The only way I've found to do it is to schedule the charge. The charging keeps the battery warm. It would be nice to have a button to push to warm the battery after charging has finished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts