2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days after purchase my 12V battery is 100% down. I really appreciate all of you who warned me of this. I had it checked while there manually at it was at 12.6V. Brought it home - drove it 20 miles and completely down. Called mopar assistance. Any advice on how to get a new battery?

Horrible experience for day 2 of purchase- we bought the car in Houston and need to get to Dallas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 days after purchase my 12V battery is 100% down. I really appreciate all of you who warned me of this. I had it checked while there manually at it was at 12.6V. Brought it home - drove it 20 miles and completely down. Called mopar assistance. Any advice on how to get a new battery?

Horrible experience for day 2 of purchase- we bought the car in Houston and need to get to Dallas!

@ChryslerCares please see above note and I did PM you privately

·
Registered
629 Posts

Bring it back and demand a new one asap. Mark the old one first so they can't just recharge it.

Great car, but sucky battery maintenance while it sat on lot for months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ChryslerCares please see above note and I did PM you privately

If any of you have advice on how to ensure that Chyrsler service takes care of battery issue please advise.

Also, if any of you are in Dallas, TX and have recommendations on dealership with best service please advise.

Thank you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we jumped the car by MOPAR. It started. Battery showed 0%, parking light blinking, and would not move from park to reverse with battery light on and warning light to service transmission. Left car on now for over an hour, its at 60%. With same warnings . have not turned it off and on yet for fear car wont start.

Should we wait to 80 to 100% and retry?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the 12V batter is dead, it doesn't matter what the charge state of the high-voltage battery is.

Thanks mike- weird though. I guess the high voltage was 0% when we jumped it, now its at 76% after if left it on jumped for 2 hours.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks mike- weird though. I guess the high voltage was 0% when we jumped it, now its at 76% after if left it on jumped for 2 hours.

So wait, what exactly do you mean when you say "the 12v battery is 100% down?" Did it die? Do any lights go on? Does it start?

Did you plug it in at all? The "100%" it said on the dash is for the amount of electric battery left for driving around. It'll go down to "0%" or "<1%" if you drive it around for 30ish miles. It'll stay at "0%" while driving and won't go back to "100%" until you plug it in (or go down a really really long hill).

You drove 20 miles total? Personally, for a car that's been sitting on the lot for a bunch of months I would have driven it at least 100+ miles, kinda to work the cobwebs out and check for problems, which would also charge the 12v battery up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So wait, what exactly do you mean when you say "the 12v battery is 100% down?" Did it die? Do any lights go on? Does it start?

Did you plug it in at all? The "100%" it said on the dash is for the amount of electric battery left for driving around. It'll go down to "0%" or "<1%" if you drive it around for 30ish miles. It'll stay at "0%" while driving and won't go back to "100%" until you plug it in (or go down a really really long hill).

You drove 20 miles total? Personally, for a car that's been sitting on the lot for a bunch of months I would have driven it at least 100+ miles, kinda to work the cobwebs out and check for problems, which would also charge the 12v battery up.

Battery was completely down - jumped it and it started. The lithium charge states it is going up- went to 80%.

The car keeps blinking P. Check engine light is on. Says service transmission.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Battery was completely down - jumped it and it started. The lithium charge states it is going up- went to 80%.

Define completely down. Define lithium charge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Define completely down- the car would not turn on, no lights, everything off

Called roadside assistance- they jumped it.
The lights went on and a battery light came on stating battery at 0%; however the park light was blinking and when we tried to reverse the car would not move and check engine light went on. It has stayed on since.

“P” still flashing

Car says “service transmission” with yellow check engine light on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The percentage is for the HV battery. The engine running will charge it, but that doesn’t do anything for a bad 12v battery. The 12v being bad after sitting unmaintained is not unusual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Define completely down- the car would not turn on, no lights, everything off

Called roadside assistance- they jumped it.
The lights went on and a battery light came on stating battery at 0%; however the park light was blinking and when we tried to reverse the car would not move and check engine light went on. It has stayed on since.

“P” still flashing

Car says “service transmission” with yellow check engine light on.

P is flashing

·
Registered
629 Posts
The plug in was never charged but as you can see in above pic for some reason says 72%

Was the gas engine running? Was the hood open? That should charge it while idling.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Left the gas engine on for about two hours - still says service engine though
I don't have a hybrid, but if the 12V battery is the regular type that is also in the gas vans, it can be tested and replaced relatively easily if dead. Any Chrysler dealer should be able to do that under warranty. My suggestion is to drive to the nearest dealer and get the battery evaluated. If you have a completely dead 12V battery you may end up with various system messages that should go away when you have a good 12V battery.

Edit: Later posts indicate that a hybrid system may require further evaluation and codes cleared by the dealer after 12V battery check/replacement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have a hybrid, but if the 12V battery is the regular type that is also in the gas vans, it can be tested and replaced relatively easily if dead. Any dealer should be able to do that under warranty. My suggestion is to drive to the nearest dealer and get the battery evaluated. If you have a completely dead 12V battery you may end up with various system messages that should go away when you have good 12V battery.

Thank you. It jumped but still not getting out of of park. Will have it towed to dealer in AM to replace battery.

In the meantime we tried plugging in for the first time and the charger is flashing from green to red -

1 - 20 of 39 Posts