2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I own a 2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum. Except for the original recall related to the power inverter, it had been pretty much flawless. That is, until I brought it to the dealer and allowed them to do the battery coolant heater connector recall. Not too long after they did that recall, I started to have problems with guess what? Yes, the battery heater. I heard some strange noises under the hood, pulled over and opened the hood and saw the coolant in the batter heater coolant jug boiling violently. Li-ion batteries should never operate at the temperature of boiling coolant (100+C).

I was on vacation with my family at the time, and the check engine light was not on, so we continued our trip. A couple weeks later, the check engine light came on indicating a problem with the batter coolant heater. I brought it to the dealer (Chriswell Chrysler in Gaithersburg, MD) for repair twice. I explained how the coolant was boiling in the system and showed them my video of this happening. The first time it was diagnosed as having an air bubble in the coolant and of course, the light came back on shortly after we got the vehicle back.

The second time, after perplexing the dealer for some time, they said the battery coolant heater had to be replaced because it was on when it should not be. It took a long time to get this feedback because they only call you when they want to, and treat customers as though the car belongs to them. But of course that was the problem - the heater was causing the coolant to boil and run the battery at 100+C when it should normally be under 60C.

I work in this industry and know that Li-Ion batteries are not able to operate at these high temperatures without serious degradation. Since my vehicle battery has been operating at these high temperatures for so long, the battery will have degraded and I'm asking Chrysler to replace the battery under warranty. Otherwise, a couple years from now, after normal wear and tear, the compromised battery will hold a much lower charge and Chrysler will not replace it then because they will say it is normal wear and tear. Chrysler needs to live up to this problem and replace the battery now and under warranty.

I will post the video of the boiling coolant in the jug if I can figure out to post a video. For now, here's a frame of the video showing the low coolant because much of the coolant had already boiled off due to the high temperatures.

View attachment 42508
Hi,
I own a 2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum. Except for the original recall related to the power inverter, it had been pretty much flawless. That is, until I brought it to the dealer and allowed them to do the battery coolant heater connector recall. Not too long after they did that recall, I started to have problems with guess what? Yes, the battery heater. I heard some strange noises under the hood, pulled over and opened the hood and saw the coolant in the batter heater coolant jug boiling violently. Li-ion batteries should never operate at the temperature of boiling coolant (100+C).

I was on vacation with my family at the time, and the check engine light was not on, so we continued our trip. A couple weeks later, the check engine light came on indicating a problem with the batter coolant heater. I brought it to the dealer (Chriswell Chrysler in Gaithersburg, MD) for repair twice. I explained how the coolant was boiling in the system and showed them my video of this happening. The first time it was diagnosed as having an air bubble in the coolant and of course, the light came back on shortly after we got the vehicle back.

The second time, after perplexing the dealer for some time, they said the battery coolant heater had to be replaced because it was on when it should not be. It took a long time to get this feedback because they only call you when they want to, and treat customers as though the car belongs to them. But of course that was the problem - the heater was causing the coolant to boil and run the battery at 100+C when it should normally be under 60C.

I work in this industry and know that Li-Ion batteries are not able to operate at these high temperatures without serious degradation. Since my vehicle battery has been operating at these high temperatures for so long, the battery will have degraded and I'm asking Chrysler to replace the battery under warranty. Otherwise, a couple years from now, after normal wear and tear, the compromised battery will hold a much lower charge and Chrysler will not replace it then because they will say it is normal wear and tear. Chrysler needs to live up to this problem and replace the battery now and under warranty.

I will post the video of the boiling coolant in the jug if I can figure out to post a video. For now, here's a frame of the video showing the low coolant because much of the coolant had already boiled off due to the high temperatures.

View attachment 42508
Within a couple days after getting the car back from the dealer the second time for the overheating battery coolant, my wife and kids were traveling 4 hours from home when the engine light went on again and they got stranded at night. They had to stay overnight in a hotel and leave the car at a Chrysler dealer over the weekend and rent a car. Then I had to drive the 4 hours to return the rental once a failed spark plug was replaced.

This is the 4th family driving trip that has been interrupted by this vehicle in less than 3 years. It's unfortunate because I like the car, but it is only useful if you don't need reliability. And Chrysler has not remedied the issue that was created by a botched battery coolant heater recall "fix." It is only a matter of time before the range is reduced because the Li-ion battery sat in boiling coolant for weeks. But neither Chrysler, or Chriswell Chrysler cares about this.

It pains me to say that if you need a reliable family car, you should not be considering a Chrysler....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It is only a matter of time before the range is reduced because the Li-ion battery sat in boiling coolant for weeks.
Well on the flip side, If they fix it and its becomes as reliable as mine and you keep it - then it sounds like you wont have to worry about paying for an expensive battery!

Isn’t that the biggest “fear” of owning a electric vehicle? Paying for the battery in 10years ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
This issue still persists in 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, i had the battery heater and auxiliary pump replaced twice when the van ran 1800 and 3200 miles.
i have a new problem now, the van do not start at 20F. it says service battery, service hybrid electric system, service transmission, service airbags etc .

·
Registered
738 Posts
This issue still persists in 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, i had the battery heater and auxiliary pump replaced twice when the van ran 1800 and 3200 miles.
i have a new problem now, the van do not start at 20F. it says service battery, service hybrid electric system, service transmission, service airbags etc .
But you already started a separate thread about your current problem.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This issue still persists in 2019 Pacifica Hybrid
Its the same core vehicle as the 2017 dude.

They may change colors or add a bell or whistle but dont fool yourself that some major developement is occuring under the hood.

With the average vehicle that has hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions of vehicles going out yearly (Ford f150 2018) and MILLIONS of the same parts in those cars circulating the roads there is a real ability to refine a product.

We’ll be lucky to get an actual hardware upgrade by the next life cycle impulse which Chrysler does every 10years? - it seems looking at the Grand Caravan. But it likely happens closer to every 4-5years like most Brands.

edit: I take that back. I bet the next hardware upgrade will come when they up the EV range. With new batteries come new controllers and such..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well on the flip side, If they fix it and its becomes as reliable as mine and you keep it - then it sounds like you wont have to worry about paying for an expensive battery!

Isn’t that the biggest “fear” of owning a electric vehicle? Paying for the battery in 10years ;)
They have refused to replace the battery. So when the range is reduced, lets say in another year, they will say they are not responsible for degradation of the battery, even though it is under warranty. Warranty will only cover the battery if it prevents the vehicle from operating...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
They have refused to replace the battery. So when the range is reduced, lets say in another year, they will say they are not responsible for degradation of the battery, even though it is under warranty. Warranty will only cover the battery if it prevents the vehicle from operating...
Of course they wont replace it before it fails.. would you pay for it before it failed?

But theres a 10year warrenty. If its actually bad, it wont last 10years and will be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That might be a good case for getting as much use out of the battery as possible during the ten year warranty period. There have been days (not many) where I have charged ours 3 times during the span of a single day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2020 PacHy Limited has been great, all up until it started giving a check engine light with code: POE15, which, I believe, is the classic Battery Heater Problem. It's now been at the Dealer Service center for 2 weeks with no real update. The service manager, if you can get a hold of them, says they have to report their diagnostics to corporate and wait with each communication for their responses. The diagnosis is not good. It sounds like I'll need a battery replacement as well as a Battery Heater replacement, at only 16,000 miles. And to do the repairs, get corporate approval, and parts shipment, it appears that the van will be at the dealer for up to a month longer!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,447 Posts
My 2020 PacHy Limited has been great, all up until it started giving a check engine light with code: POE15, which, I believe, is the classic Battery Heater Problem. It's now been at the Dealer Service center for 2 weeks with no real update. The service manager, if you can get a hold of them, says they have to report their diagnostics to corporate and wait with each communication for their responses. The diagnosis is not good. It sounds like I'll need a battery replacement as well as a Battery Heater replacement, at only 16,000 miles. And to do the repairs, get corporate approval, and parts shipment, it appears that the van will be at the dealer for up to a month longer!
I hope you have been given a loaner.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,447 Posts
Reactions: ChryslerCares

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our 2021 just had this error. The main reason I know beyond the CEL is we don't have heat in the vehicle and it's getting cold. Unfortunately, it's 2 weeks before we can get into the Chrysler dealer for them to even diagnose and order parts. It sounds like the vehicle will operator okay as long as it doesn't get too cold? Does anyone know how cold that is? I don't want my wife and kids to get stranded. Also, I assume loaner/rental vehicles are up to the dealer on if they want to provide one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
love2run,
You should check the CEL code with a code scanner. I don't think the air heater has anything to do with the battery heater. I don't know for sure, of course, but it seems you might have a heater core failure of some sort. Any chain auto parts store will scan your codes in a minute for free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dealer scanned and came up with the same code referenced in this thread. Maybe it’s unrelated but it’s my understanding it could be. It’s unfortunate we have to wait two weeks before they will look into how they should repair it. Oh well, as long as it continues to drive for us we can wear jackets.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
116 Posts
I don't think the air heater has anything to do with the battery heater.
The PacHy only has 1 coolant heater. It uses the same coolant reservoir as the engine does. That’s how it’s able to send hot coolant into the heater core to heat the cabin. In EV mode it circulates the coolant using an electric pump. The battery coolant is a separate coolant loop and reservoir, but uses heat from the same coolant heater. It does that using a heat exchanger between the 2 loops. The battery loop does not have its own heater. The battery coolant isn’t directly heated, but I guess it gets the job done. This setup may also have the benefit of warming the engine block for an easier start in very cold temperatures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The PacHy only has 1 coolant heater. It uses the same coolant reservoir as the engine does. That’s how it’s able to send hot coolant into the heater core to heat the cabin. In EV mode it circulates the coolant using an electric pump. The battery coolant is a separate coolant loop and reservoir, but uses heat from the same coolant heater. It does that using a heat exchanger between the 2 loops. The battery loop does not have its own heater. The battery coolant isn’t directly heated, but I guess it gets the job done. This setup may also have the benefit of warming the engine block for an easier start in very cold temperatures.
I wonder if it was in ICE mode, if we'd have heat for the cabin then? Could be a solution for us if it gets really cold.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
116 Posts
I wonder if it was in ICE mode, if we'd have heat for the cabin then? Could be a solution for us if it gets really cold.
When running in Hybrid mode heat generated from the engine will be used to heat the cabin and the battery. In that mode the electric heater could supplement the ICE if more heat was needed I suppose.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
42 Posts
That's how HYBRID-EV BATTERY PACK COOLANT HEATER looks like. And on ,so called EV-mode, it give you heating to the cabin.
Lighting Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Machine
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle Metal
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Asphalt

Replacement maybe not so easy, due to inverter and charger are on the way, but it give you guys a clue what everyone talking about in here.
Fault P0E15-00 and lack of heat in the cabin during electric drive mode.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts