2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
@Karolski [PL]

Nice pictures, thank you. Good to know what that battery coolant heater component looks like.
Do you drive or live in a cold area where this heater would be used a lot? ....just curious.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
83 Posts
@Karolski [PL]

Nice pictures, thank you. Good to know what that battery coolant heater component looks like.
Do you drive or live in a cold area where this heater would be used a lot? ....just curious.
Luckily not my car...But yes, we do have on an old continent quite cold winters, so I would say this feature is very important.
One of my colegues suffer this problem after recall W46, just inspection of connections... Of course dealer workshop dany any problems they maight occure...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2020 (previously stated 2021) Pacifica Hybrid sits in our garage, so the battery pack was about 55 degrees when I left this morning. However, the 35f air must have caused the engine to kick on. After then engine kicked on, I did end up having cabin heat. So, if you have this issue and you need some cabin heat, you can leave leave the battery discharged. At least, that's what I gather from this latest information.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
479 Posts
My 2021 Pacifica Hybrid sits in our garage, so the battery pack was about 55 degrees when I left this morning. However, the 35f air must have caused the engine to kick on. After then engine kicked on, I did end up having cabin heat. So, if you have this issue and you need some cabin heat, you can leave leave the battery discharged. At least, that's what I gather from this latest information.
I think the Pacifica uses an algorithm around heater demand. If the electric heat isn’t getting the job done then it’ll turn on the engine to increase heat output. Obviously if the battery state of charge is very low it’s going to just turn on the engine. Then it’ll use the engine turning Motor A to run the electric heat, supplementing with engine created heat if it runs long enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just drove home with 52° ambient air temp with my heater set to HI (just above 84). The engine did not come on and the HVAC system blew out “room” temp air which felt cold as it was close to 52. So, at least in my case, asking for heat doesn’t necessarily kick on the engine. In fact, this morning, my heat was off and the engine kicked on by itself once ambient temp dropped enough… that’s why I tried the heater to see if I had heat.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just drove home with 52° ambient air temp with my heater set to HI (just above 84). The engine did not come on and the HVAC system blew out “room” temp air which felt cold as it was close to 52. So, at least in my case, asking for heat doesn’t necessarily kick on the engine. In fact, this morning, my heat was off and the engine kicked on by itself once ambient temp dropped enough… that’s why I tried the heater to see if I had heat.
Interesting. Well hopefully they can swap your heater soon and you’ll be back in action. It might be best to not charge and leave your battery state of charge at “<1%” so it’ll run in Hybrid mode and give you at least some heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far, heated seats, heated steering wheel, puffy jacket does the trick. But if I have occupants in the back I’m definitely going to run in hybrid mode.

Hopefully this information somehow helps others.

I have an appointment on the 20th for them to diagnose the issue and order parts. Really hoping they can repair in a day once the parts come in as we don’t have a spare vehicle.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Were you in AUTO climate control or in manual with a low fan setting? If you were in Manual, try AUTO or try a higher fan setting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reporting back. Turning off auto and setting the fan to six when it was 41° ambient did not work, but setting the fan to seven (100%) did end up kicking on the engine. However, at 50° ambient temperature, setting the fan to seven did not kick on the engine. It seems to be some type of calculation based on the ambient temperature and heating demand.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Reporting back. Turning off auto and setting the fan to six when it was 41° ambient did not work, but setting the fan to seven (100%) did end up kicking on the engine. However, at 50° ambient temperature, setting the fan to seven did not kick on the engine. It seems to be some type of calculation based on the ambient temperature and heating demand.
THE ALGORITHM!!! I thought that might do it. For heating demand it seems like anything over 3-4C will not turn on the engine. As soon as it’s under that it starts looking at things like fan speed, electric heater output, and current coolant temperature to decide whether to trigger the ICE to speed up heat. I would also guess rear climate setting have an effect. If you’re using the rear climate then there’s much more coolant that must be heated.

·
Registered
2017 Platinum
5 Posts
Got the same problem (P0e15 code and no heat when in electric mode). Happened on the way back from an 8,000 mile trip out west with the fam this summer. I’ve learned that if left uncharged, the heat does work normally in the cold (it’s currently in the 40’s here in Indiana). I’m over 100,000 miles, so I’m sure they won’t be covering the electric coolant heater replacement. :/ Anyone have this done at the dealership yet? If so, what did it cost you? I’m thinking of doing it myself and creating a DIY video (which I’ve done a lot of over the years). The part is only $450 (part # 68237427AG)… I’m just a little concerned with getting electricuted. Lol Anyone tackle this replacement themselves yet?

·
Registered
479 Posts
It should be doable yourself with the proper tools. It’s located in front of the battery with a bunch of other stuff. The biggest issue would be making sure no air remains in the coolant loop after replacement. You may want to look at something like AllData and see what it has to say about that.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
83 Posts
Got the same problem (P0e15 code and no heat when in electric mode). Happened on the way back from an 8,000 mile trip out west with the fam this summer. I’ve learned that if left uncharged, the heat does work normally in the cold (it’s currently in the 40’s here in Indiana). I’m over 100,000 miles, so I’m sure they won’t be covering the electric coolant heater replacement. :/ Anyone have this done at the dealership yet? If so, what did it cost you? I’m thinking of doing it myself and creating a DIY video (which I’ve done a lot of over the years). The part is only $450 (part # 68237427AG)… I’m just a little concerned with getting electricuted. Lol Anyone tackle this replacement themselves yet?
Look at the photos I have posted on page 3. They maight be somehow helpful... You can see there clamps on the liquid hoses that will save a lot of liquid. Regarding electrocuted I would suggest dissconnect traction battery-on the center of vehicle there is a cover , below the carpet-like between 2 stow-n-go comparements where battery is stored, there is HV disconnector, like so:
Product Black Sleeve Font T-shirt

Never did it myself. Didn't need so far.Hope this will help.

·
Registered
2017 Platinum
5 Posts
Look at the photos I have posted on page 3. They maight be somehow helpful... You can see there clamps on the liquid hoses that will save a lot of liquid. Regarding electrocuted I would suggest dissconnect traction battery-on the center of vehicle there is a cover , below the carpet-like between 2 stow-n-go comparements where battery is stored, there is HV disconnector, like so:
View attachment 48212

Never did it myself. Didn't need so far.Hope this will help.
Thanks for the tips and pics! I subscribed to a month of AllData, so I should be good... I hope. lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's how HYBRID-EV BATTERY PACK COOLANT HEATER looks like. And on ,so called EV-mode, it give you heating to the cabin.
View attachment 47876 View attachment 47877

View attachment 47878 View attachment 47879

Replacement maybe not so easy, due to inverter and charger are on the way, but it give you guys a clue what everyone talking about in here.
Fault P0E15-00 and lack of heat in the cabin during electric drive mode.
Thanks for this post. Is the car okay to drive while part being ordered?

I got the code read by autozone. But now CEL went away. I am sure it will be back again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Platinum
5 Posts
I've been driving mine for quite awhile. Only noticing the lack of heat since it's gotten cold here in the midwest recently. My solution is just not to charge it up, that way the engine kicks on immediately and heat comes on. It doesn't seem to heat the cabin up quite as fast without the electric coolant heater, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2020 PacHy Limited has been great, all up until it started giving a check engine light with code: POE15, which, I believe, is the classic Battery Heater Problem. It's now been at the Dealer Service center for 2 weeks with no real update. The service manager, if you can get a hold of them, says they have to report their diagnostics to corporate and wait with each communication for their responses. The diagnosis is not good. It sounds like I'll need a battery replacement as well as a Battery Heater replacement, at only 16,000 miles. And to do the repairs, get corporate approval, and parts shipment, it appears that the van will be at the dealer for up to a month longer!
Check with another dealer in your area next time you can't get an appointment for 2 weeks. I had the same thing happen. My closest dealer told me it would be at least a week out for an appointment. A small town dealer 20 miles away had appointment openings the same day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check with another dealer in your area next time you can't get an appointment for 2 weeks. I had the same thing happen. My closest dealer told me it would be at least a week out for an appointment. A small town dealer 20 miles away had appointment openings the same day.
We just had the same issue in our 2021 at 8k miles. Happened at the 1st sign of cold weather. The dealer told us the part is back ordered and could be months, but is safe to drive.

Is this true? I am about to take it for a 3k mile road trip. If it is not safe, I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
143 Posts
So this same issue has been happening since 2017? Are they still using the same part?

Ours just failed at 13k on our 2021, within the first few weeks of regularly cold weather.

I understand this is safe to drive, but ours is at 100% battery, and even driving 40+ miles yesterday, it never allowed us to use more than ~10% charge on electric. Then the ICE comes back on and recharges it. We live in a hilly area and it drives terribly in this mode at 100% - the ICE keeps cycling on and off every few seconds. Any ideas how to discharge the battery?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Go for a drive at highway speed. Keep the rear climate off and turn down the heat a bit. You may have to drive for an hour or more.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts