2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
So this same issue has been happening since 2017? Are they still using the same part?

Ours just failed at 13k on our 2021, within the first few weeks of regularly cold weather.

I understand this is safe to drive, but ours is at 100% battery, and even driving 40+ miles yesterday, it never allowed us to use more than ~10% charge on electric. Then the ICE comes back on and recharges it. We live in a hilly area and it drives terribly in this mode at 100% - the ICE keeps cycling on and off every few seconds. Any ideas how to discharge the battery?
Yeah, we can't seem to kill our battery either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This may have been posted earlier.

The same dealership that told me the car was safe to drive a few weeks ago sent me this today.

Any part that is connect to the hybrid system and not functionally properly can become a big issue toward the hybrid system and may cause damage the battery system . Best case no heat in the cabin, worst case damage Hybrid battery. I wish I had better news then that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At this point, the bigger question might be why is this still a known issue with Chrysler if it has been going on since 2017 and why are they charging $50k for known malfunctioning parts?

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
479 Posts
At this point, the bigger question might be why is this still a known issue with Chrysler if it has been going on since 2017 and why are they charging $50k for known malfunctioning parts?
The recent rash of failures seems to be unusual. The recent failures seem to be more common on the 2021 models, which have a different part number for the heater. The 2017-2020 model years have a part number that went from an AA revision to AG revision. Any part can fail on a vehicle, but most of these recent failures seem to be because of something on the part used on the 2021s. Which may not actually be different from the 2017-2020 part. It has the same manufacturer part number, even though the MOPAR part number has changed. So its hard to know what’s going on without inside engineering information. I have a 2021 built in July and my heater works fine. And it gets a lot of use because it’s very cold here.

I’m sure Chrysler is worried about the hybrid battery being able to warm itself in cold weather without the heater. Which is why running the van in Hybrid mode is likely the best option if you must drive it. That way the ICE will run a lot more and provide heat to the battery coolant loop. The only caveat to that is if you live where it’s going to be very cold. Below -30C. In that case I’d park it inside or somewhere that it will be warmer than that. Below -30C is where the vehicle really wants to be plugged in so that it can use wall power to keep the battery warm if needed. But without the heater it can’t do that.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle Brilliant Black
69 Posts
Mine was also built in July and so far no issues with heater. I wonder what build dates people are experiencing those failures. Could it be associated to a bad batch of heaters for a specific batch of vehicles?

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Pacifica Limited S
17 Posts
Well, my 2021 limited is going in tomorrow for this exact issue. CEL on, code matches and the van is not using the battery at all. About 6000 miles and already a major failure. I feel like this van is just a gamble as to whether it will last or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, my 2021 limited is going in tomorrow for this exact issue. CEL on, code matches and the van is not using the battery at all. About 6000 miles and already a major failure. I feel like this van is just a gamble as to whether it will last or not.
I hear you. I have already started looking at lemon laws. This is the 2nd major failure in less than 9 months for us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check engine light just came on the 25th for us, 5700 miles for a 21 limited. Dealership diagnosed it as the "hybrid battery heater" which I think is the same thing as being described here. It is on backorder for 30-45 days without any updated status but they said I can drive it and it will be fine but "might not start". Service person said it was the 4th hybrid that came in the past week with the same problem (socal here and have had some colder weather at night).

What the heck....

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Check engine light just came on the 25th for us, 5700 miles for a 21 limited. Dealership diagnosed it as the "hybrid battery heater" which I think is the same thing as being described here. It is on backorder for 30-45 days without any updated status but they said I can drive it and it will be fine but "might not start". Service person said it was the 4th hybrid that came in the past week with the same problem (socal here and have had some colder weather at night).

What the heck....
Can you report this to NHTSA please?

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Pacifica Limited S
17 Posts

What the heck....
Same thing here. 45+ days for repair. I got the same response from the dealer but I am more concerned since I am in MN and it is much colder. Also noted that when I was at the dealer they mentioned they had just replaced another one on ‘21 as well with the same issue. I’m driving a ‘21 limited with the S package, about 6000 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited
1 Posts
Same problem today on a '21 Limited with 5800 miles. Dealer just cleared the code and said not to worry about it. Of course MIL came back on a few miles later. No answer when I called them back asking for a fix.... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh wow this is so bad. Webasto is going to owe Stellantis so much money after all of this. This kinda reminds me of the Capacitor Plague from the late 90s. This isn’t on that scale of course but something has really gone wrong with some of these heaters. You gotta think it’s some small component that’s failing internally en masse.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts