2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to posting here but have been browsing the forums since we were looking to purchase. We bought a 2020 Hybrid 35th anniversary package in April. We already have a hybrid Highlander so I'm used to driving with a light foot for efficiency. We live in town and drive mostly short trips, rarely on the interstate. I have a couple questions if anyone has feedback.

1) When fully charged, the battery never says 100%. It usually says 96% or 93%, with a range of anywhere from 28 to 34. Is it supposed to ever say 100%? It can say plugged in, charging complete and I turn it in immediately and it is still never 100%.

2). Over the last month I've seen my actual electric range drop drastically, from 30-32 to about 22-24. The weather hasn't changed so the AC usage is similar. I had the dealer test the battery when we took it in for the recall a couple weeks ago and they said it looked fine but to keep a log, so that's what I'm be been doing. Today my charge got me 22 miles before it hit zero, no highway. I've read here performance can vary greatly but such a drastic drop in range on a five month old vehicle is disappointing. Wondering if this is normal for others?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Do you use level 1 or level 2 charger? The rate of charge slows down after 95% or so, maybe you ended the charge too early. If it really stops at below 100% it means you have a problem, and it could explain the range drop. Although I don't recall anyone else having a similar issue.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Usually the efficiency of the charger . The rate of depreciation depends on lots of factors from weather , usage , driving style , vehicle interior option usage , etc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you use level 1 or level 2 charger? The rate of charge slows down after 95% or so, maybe you ended the charge too early. If it really stops at below 100% it means you have a problem, and it could explain the range drop. Although I don't recall anyone else having a similar issue.
I use a level 1 charger. I typically charge overnight. I don't currently have a schedule set since (though maybe I should?). When I go in the morning to unplug it is no longer blinking, as if it's done. But when I open the door, it says charging, calculating time to complete. It will show about an hour left to full, and then suddenly speeds up and says charge complete about 30 seconds after I open the door. If I don't do this 30 second door trick, the range is lower, like 26 miles, but it's clearly not doing any significant charging in 30 seconds. I thought it was just a quirk. But maybe not?

·
Registered
642 Posts
It is possible that your level 1 charger is giving up early, probably because it is overheating or there are bad contacts in the power outlet you are using. It definitely should always charge up to 100% and you should not have seen any deterioration in range in just five months. Try a level 2 charger. The dealer should have one or you can try a public charging station (but those cost money to use).

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. I have never done a full charge on a level 2, only briefly when out for errands, so will make a point to try a full charge. Thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Luxury White Pearl - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound - Sun Roof
40 Posts
I've only had mine couple months. When I first got it the predicted ranges, both electric and gas, were low. They improved as I drove more. I'm guessing they adapt to your driving habits.

That does not explain suddenly only getting 22 miles on battery.

I have had charging faults during heavy rains on the level 1 charger. It charged fully when I cycled the power. Its usually %100, though sometimes 98, or 99.

Have you left it charging after its full? I usually just leave mine plugged in. I'm driving once a week, if not less.

I've seen issues in the forum where a faulty 12v battery has caused issues. Its charged from the drive battery. It runs all the electronics (computers etc) that control the van.

A wild guess here. When you open the door, it fires up all the electronics. That pulls down the 12v battery, causing the drive battery to start charging the 12v. Charging the 12v is a big enough load that it brings down the voltage on the drive battery, at least temporarily. The electronics use the battery voltage to know its state of charge. The dash reports something less than 100% because of the loads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drive it most days so it generally charges overnight and is unplugged sometime in the morning, though occasionally I've left it plugged in to the next afternoon with the same results. Question-- when the charge is complete should all the blue battery lights be on? Mine are always off when I go to unplug it in the morning.

I will try again not opening the door for the charge complete message and just unplugging it, but so far I've found if I do that my stated range and percentage when I turn it on is even lower.

Now I'm wondering if there is an issue with the outlet I'm using. It's in the garage and I also have a refrigerator down there. Different outlet but I think same circuit. Maybe it's drawing too much when the refrigerator compressor comes on...

·
Registered
289 Posts
All the lights will be lit for a minute and then turn off when it's done charging.

If your fridge is on the same circuit, you'll need the EVSE to be on a different circuit since they don't recommend to use the same circuit with high draw devices.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
22 Posts
I have a 2020 Pachy Limited purchased at the end of Feb. Mine charges to 100% on the level one charger, sitting in my driveway, usually overnight. I also have a freezer on the same circuit. I don't think the freezer is affecting the charging. It sounds like the level one charger is working fine. The range you are getting on battery is definitely not a 100% charge. I concur that you should try a level two charger but I'm betting the problem is one of the other batteries.

·
Registered
930 Posts
And as a side note , level one chargers are less efficient and effective in my eyes . The loss of electricity over the length or duration of charge over a life time of use age costs way more than a level 2 . Efficiency and time equates to dollars in your pocket .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All the lights will be lit for a minute and then turn off when it's done charging.

If your fridge is on the same circuit, you'll need the EVSE to be on a different circuit since they don't recommend to use the same circuit with high draw devices.
Ok good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And as a side note , level one chargers are less efficient and effective in my eyes . The loss of electricity over the length or duration of charge over a life time of use age costs way more than a level 2 . Efficiency and time equates to dollars in your pocket .
Oh interesting. Was not aware. Thank you! I am going to try giving it a full charge on a level 2 and I think I might look into putting one in the garage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2020 Pachy Limited purchased at the end of Feb. Mine charges to 100% on the level one charger, sitting in my driveway, usually overnight. I also have a freezer on the same circuit. I don't think the freezer is affecting the charging. It sounds like the level one charger is working fine. The range you are getting on battery is definitely not a 100% charge. I concur that you should try a level two charger but I'm betting the problem is one of the other batteries.
Oh ok interesting, that's helpful to know your freezer isn't affecting you getting a full charge. Thanks for the info. Going to try a full charge on a level 2.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The difference between level 1 and Level 2 is around 10%. If it costs $400 for install and $500 for an EVSE, that's $900. If it costs you $600 to charge your Pacifica Hybrid, you only save $60 a year. That's going to take 15 years to break even. The numbers will work for some, but most don't. Unless you do it yourself or buy a cheap EVSE.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the level 2 allows you to take multiple 30 mile all electric trips in a day. This saves much more $, if that type of driving scenario exists.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The difference between level 1 and Level 2 is around 10%. If it costs $400 for install and $500 for an EVSE, that's $900. If it costs you $600 to charge your Pacifica Hybrid, you only save $60 a year. That's going to take 15 years to break even. The numbers will work for some, but most don't. Unless you do it yourself or buy a cheap EVSE.
Interesting, so you are referring to the car losing charge while it's charging just because it takes so long to get a full charge over level one?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Last night driving mine, no air running, I got 36 miles out of it and still had 1% left pulling in my driveway. The most I have ever gotten is 43 miles. On average with heat and air running, outside temp changes, highway vs city, I get 33 to 22 miles on all-electric depending on conditions.

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
I've also seen erratic charge time calculations on a L1 charger. It is also prone to overheating at the wall plug. The plug has a temperature sensor in it, if the overheating is detected it sharply reduces the charging current and the charge may take forever.
You should know that the electric range may be sharply reduced by even insignificant elevation gain in your trip. Always estimate your range based on the round trip to compensate for the elevation changes. My best trip was 44.8 miles. In the winter, when I have to use heat, I'll be lucky to get 25 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts