2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have a 2018 PacHy and curious as to why pacifica has been designed to run on battery for first 31 miles and then use gas. Instead it would have been great if the design was to run on battery in city (based on speed <30 or some number) or run on gas when you hit 50+. What would have been amazing is if user can choose between running gas first vs battery first.

Maybe the feature is there and I dont know how to invoke it.
Could you please help?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi folks,
I have a 2018 PacHy and curious as to why pacifica has been designed to run on battery for first 31 miles and then use gas. Instead it would have been great if the design was to run on battery in city (based on speed <30 or some number) or run on gas when you hit 50+. What would have been amazing is if user can choose between running gas first vs battery first.

Could you please help?
Yes, it would be nice if you were able to make that choice but unfortunately Chrysler did not give us that option. It’s not a terrible thing though. Fuel is fuel whether it’s electricity or gasoline. Electricity is generally cheaper and/or more efficient than gasoline. But it really doesn’t matter that much where you use that electricity whether it be in city traffic or out on the highway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, it would be nice if you were able to make that choice but unfortunately Chrysler did not give us that option. It’s not a terrible thing though. Fuel is fuel whether it’s electricity or gasoline. Electricity is generally cheaper and/or more efficient than gasoline. But it really doesn’t matter that much where you use that electricity whether it be in city traffic or out on the highway.
The third year Volt got the EV/ICE toggle. It was one of the biggest complaints from the first two year owners and GM listened.

However, someone mentioned that the Volt operated in a different manner so I don't know if it's possible to have the ICE/EV toggle on the PacHy with the different operating system.

Maybe someone can chime in with information on other PHEVs (Honda Clarity, for example) and if they have the EV/ICE toggle. If no other PHEVs have the toggle, it would go a long way to vindicating FCA's decision not to have it on the PacHy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has such a switch.
You can turn on CHARGE mode, which uses the ICE to charge the battery up to 80% in 40 minutes.
Then switch back to EV mode and drive the next 22 miles.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Hybrid was designed to be seamless and automatic, having a switch is neither. Would be great to have though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The third year Volt got the EV/ICE toggle. It was one of the biggest complaints from the first two year owners and GM listened.

However, someone mentioned that the Volt operated in a different manner so I don't know if it's possible to have the ICE/EV toggle on the PacHy with the different operating system.

Maybe someone can chime in with information on other PHEVs (Honda Clarity, for example) and if they have the EV/ICE toggle. If no other PHEVs have the toggle, it would go a long way to vindicating FCA's decision not to have it on the PacHy.
My 2014 Ford C-Max Energi PHEV has a button to toggle from EV to gas (the Fusion Energi has this as well, and I believe both models had it from launch). You don't have to use this feature - you can leave it in "Auto" - but drivers like me who want to use the limited EV capacity efficiently will find themselves using it all the time.

As I have been researching the Pacifica, it's been surprising to me that Chrysler didn't engineer this feature in. As you noted, it's proven popular in other vehicles, and buyers coming from another brand will miss it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 2014 Ford C-Max Energi PHEV has a button to toggle from EV to gas (the Fusion Energi has this as well, and I believe both models had it from launch). You don't have to use this feature - you can leave it in "Auto" - but drivers like me who want to use the limited EV capacity efficiently will find themselves using it all the time.

As I have been researching the Pacifica, it's been surprising to me that Chrysler didn't engineer this feature in. As you noted, it's proven popular in other vehicles, and buyers coming from another brand will miss it.
If it's accurate to say that most (if not all) other PHEVs have the ICE/EV toggle, there is an explanation as to why FCA left it off the PacHy (albeit not a very good one).

It's not unheard of in the auto industry to 'hold back' features for future models. GM was very adept at this marketing tactic. It's quite possible that's exactly what FCA has done; they're saving the ICE/EV switch for new and improved upcoming PacHys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2013 Volt, and it indeed did have the “Hold Mode” that would place any remaining charge on the battery in reserve (I.e. forces itself into Extended Range Mode which uses the onboard gas generator to keep the battery at a constant state of charge). I suppose it’s a nice-to-have feature, but in practice I never used it. I was too focused on avoiding burning any gas if at all possible, and this option worked against that goal. 😉

I don’t know if this plays into the design decision to not offer a similar option on the PacHy, but my understanding is that while the Volt gets all its propulsion from the electric motor only, the PacHy is always driven by the electric motor and sometimes by the gas motor (based on driving conditions). Meaning that you would never not want the electric motor engaged, since the gas motor is there for assist and not full time operation. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi folks,

Could you please help?
One real strong justification for the hold switch is for long term storage at an airport. For instance, if I fly out of Intercontinental Airport north of Houston, I have to drive roughly 40+ miles to get there, depleting the motive battery. I would like to be able to park there with my motive battery at 40% or better to provide keep alive charge capability to my 12V battery if gone for extended periods.
Another justification is driving through an area where IC exhaust or sound is not a good thing. I know this might be hard to imagine now, especially with how clean the Pachy exhaust is (my tail pipe has absolutely no carbon or deposits on the inside even after 5k miles of IC operation... amazing!).

It's easy to see why there is no switch. This car is targeted at soccer mom's and folks who use rangefinder cameras, not for control freaks like me and SLR users.:wink2:
Normally, who wouldn't want to first use up the energy tank that costs 10% to 40% per mile as much as using the gas tank?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've heard if the hood is open the engine starts up for safety. Why could a switch be wired up to break the connection and make the van think the hood is open?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Could you please help?
I prefer that it runs electric only first.. I have 7500km on 1/2 tank of fuel this summer. (Now Including our vacation this summer)

The electric to gas switch is the accelerator pedal in this vehicle. Press it quickly or exceed 55% load (green bar on the load gauge) and you enter hybrid mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts