2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Pacifica Limited blew a head gasket at 64k miles. As the second owner I'm no eligible for the lifetime powertrain warranty, and also as the 2nd owner I'm ineligible for the 60k powertrain warranty. Does anyone know where I can go to find some help with this?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
What’s the story of the vehicle , purchased it from ? . What was the original in service date and at sometime in 18 the lifetime powertrain warranty went away .

Even if you have a transferable limited warranty, it’s likely that there are some restrictions on transfers. The FCA new vehicle limited warranty stays with the vehicle and is transferable to the second owner. If you have purchased an extended warranty, it may have further restrictions on transferability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm the 2nd owner, purchased it in 2019 from a dealership. I bought it with 19k on it and have had no problems till the blown head gasket at 64k. The chrysler dealership says the warranty expired at 60k miles, and I'm hoping for some kind of relief rather than having to pay the entire amount. In either case, this will certainly be my last Chrysler. While I find the warranty issue exhausting I'm maybe more concerned at whats causing a head gasket to blow at 60k miles? Are the gasket bad from the factory?

·
Administrator
2,008 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
There are a number of threads about just this issue with older Pacificas at around the mileage you have (of course just outside warranty). Here is one example. Warped Engine Block?!

At this time, all you can do is contact @ChryslerCares here and see if you can get some good will assistance with your repair. Hover your cursor over their name and then click on Message.

With so many reports here of this issue, we are hoping that eventually there will be a recall to fix this issue at no charge. And to reimburse anyone that has already paid for this. To aid with this, you should report this issue to the NHTSA here. Home | NHTSA Click on Report a Safety Problem at the top right of the screen.

Reactions: btigner12

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you peterweb! This is really unbelievable to have a blown head gasket with this mileage in 2022. There were cars 40 years ago getting 200k miles without blown head gaskets. Worse, we have a pentastar in our 2014 Durango with 150k miles and no issues at all. What did they do with the newer 3.6 engines?!? These are terrible!

·
Administrator
2,008 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
Personally, I think it is heat management. The engine being crammed sideways in the Pacifica cannot get the same cooling airflow that the same engine in a Durango would have. If you open the hood after a drive in the Pacifica you will feel a lot of heat emanating from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I think it is heat management. The engine being crammed sideways in the Pacifica cannot get the same cooling airflow that the same engine in a Durango would have. If you open the hood after a drive in the Pacifica you will feel a lot of heat emanating from the engine compartment.
That's a good as guess as any. When I spoke to the tech at the dealership she said it was the third one of the 'series 2' pentastar's that she's worked on with a bad gasket. One of which had a warped head and had to be sent out to have the deck planed. I live in Michigan so 70% of my driving is in temps that are mild to flat out freezing, and you'd think that would help with heat issues, but apparently not. That the issue occurred in August certainly supports your theory. In any event, this is a serious issue and I'm very concerned Chrysler wont stand up and provide the level of service you expect when you put your money into their product. Their reaction will certainly dictate if any of my money ever goes to another one of their products.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2018 Pacifica Limited blew a head gasket at 64k miles. As the second owner I'm no eligible for the lifetime powertrain warranty, and also as the 2nd owner I'm ineligible for the 60k powertrain warranty. Does anyone know where I can go to find some help with this?
WOW I'm going through this exact same issue not. Happened at 58k miles for cylinder misfire, non-dealer ship replaced spark plugs but issue continued to occur. Brought back in at 62k miles and they found coolant leaking causing misfire and head gasket needed placed. Chrysler will not honor the powertrain warranty nor give a goodwill extension because I'm not the original owner. This is the worst customer service and I will never by a Chrysler product again if they leave me on the hook for this. I've had nothing but electrical and engine issues since purchasing this at 40k miles and only putting 20k miles on it so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are a number of threads about just this issue with older Pacificas at around the mileage you have (of course just outside warranty). Here is one example. Warped Engine Block?!

At this time, all you can do is contact @ChryslerCares here and see if you can get some good will assistance with your repair. Hover your cursor over their name and then click on Message.

With so many reports here of this issue, we are hoping that eventually there will be a recall to fix this issue at no charge. And to reimburse anyone that has already paid for this. To aid with this, you should report this issue to the NHTSA here. Home | NHTSA Click on Report a Safety Problem at the top right of the screen.
same issue, Chrysler Cares is not responding on here. Both the dealership and calling Chrysler customer service they have not been helpful. They originally told me to schedule an appointment with the dealership to confirm the repair which I did for this Thursday. The dealer said I would have to escalate it and figure out warranty coverage on my own. I called back Chrysler customer service this morning and they had no info on my ticket from talking to rep last week. They told me rep misstated that I should bring the car to dealer and even though I can prove issue happened at 58k miles they could not offer me a goodwill extension on the powertrain since I'm not the original owner. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That
WOW I'm going through this exact same issue not. Happened at 58k miles for cylinder misfire, non-dealer ship replaced spark plugs but issue continued to occur. Brought back in at 62k miles and they found coolant leaking causing misfire and head gasket needed placed. Chrysler will not honor the powertrain warranty nor give a goodwill extension because I'm not the original owner. This is the worst customer service and I will never by a Chrysler product again if they leave me on the hook for this. I've had nothing but electrical and engine issues since purchasing this at 40k miles and only putting 20k miles on it so far.
That's so scary TJhawk, its exactly the position I'm in. I basically bought it new at 19k miles and 1 yr old, but I'm on the hook for everything because a terrible engine left the plant? There isnt an engine anywhere in 2022 that should be blowing a head gasket at 60k miles. I encourage you to follow the posts in this thread and both contact ChrsylerCares and the NHTSA to report the issue!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Thank you peterweb! This is really unbelievable to have a blown head gasket with this mileage in 2022. There were cars 40 years ago getting 200k miles without blown head gaskets. Worse, we have a pentastar in our 2014 Durango with 150k miles and no issues at all. What did they do with the newer 3.6 engines?!? These are terrible!
If I remember the years correctly, many across the board 2011-2013 had the same issues and exact the same side of the engine due to casting defects. The engines on the firewall side had warranties extended 10 years/150,000 miles from 5 years/100,000 miles. I know because I had a T&C that was under that.

This is why it is important to report to the NHTSA as in the future you might get reimbursement for the work as many did that paid out of pocket in the early 2010s for repairs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That

That's so scary TJhawk, its exactly the position I'm in. I basically bought it new at 19k miles and 1 yr old, but I'm on the hook for everything because a terrible engine left the plant? There isnt an engine anywhere in 2022 that should be blowing a head gasket at 60k miles. I encourage you to follow the posts in this thread and both contact ChrsylerCares and the NHTSA to report the issue!
I will followup on the NHTSA report and get that done soon. I have followed up with ChryslerCares, called customer support, and the dealership that I'm burnt out and they are not helping with the situation. Having to spend $6600 on this repair when it is covered in the powertrain warranty up to 60k and they will not budge is insane

·
Registered
28 Posts
So from this I got I'm supposed to buy a "certified pre-owned" directly from the dealership which are always more expensive because they include the price of the "free" CPO warranty in the car. It's nice to know though they factory-backed 7-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty on them but will not do it on all cars. Feeling salty.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
So what I’m trying to say is “ caveat emptor “ as in buyer beware . So I buy something from somebody who I don’t know how it was driven , maintance or maintained . You buy from whomever you choose but if you had bought from dealer you wouldn’t be where you are right now . So the money you saved from your private deal is now going to cost you a small chuck of change. So you rolled the dice and unfortunately the house wins , everybody has a choice and coming on here and being salty is nothing more than you gambled and lost . I’ll even ask when you bought it did you even take it to a dealership to pay to have somebody even inspect it ? . It’s funny how when people roll the dice and the bottom falls out of it they try and deflect the onus of responsibility, this goes on everyday in the auto world or used cars .

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,117 Posts
I wonder what other large mass production car manufacturers give goodwill dollars to owners who bought their vehicles used from a non-CPO source. GM? Toyota? Ford? Honda? Others?

This isn't meant to diminish the head gasket/cracked block issue at Chrysler. It IS meant to bring expectations down to a reasonable level.

Hopefully enough people who have this issue will report it to NHTSA and maybe even try to get a class-action lawsuit going. This is 2022. Modern engines should not be failing as soon as their warranties expire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So what I’m trying to say is “ caveat emptor “ as in buyer beware . So I buy something from somebody who I don’t know how it was driven , maintance or maintained . You buy from whomever you choose but if you had bought from dealer you wouldn’t be where you are right now . So the money you saved from your private deal is now going to cost you a small chuck of change. So you rolled the dice and unfortunately the house wins , everybody has a choice and coming on here and being salty is nothing more than you gambled and lost . I’ll even ask when you bought it did you even take it to a dealership to pay to have somebody even inspect it ? . It’s funny how when people roll the dice and the bottom falls out of it they try and deflect the onus of responsibility, this goes on everyday in the auto world or used cars .
I don’t think the head gaskets failing for everyone is because of my or someone else’s driving. We bought this van at Carmax at 40k miles “certified pre-owned”. It’s had several electrical issues including with the trunk, sliding doors, and touchscreen prior to engine trouble. There are many well documented cases on this forum alone of all these.
Sure I didn’t buy the expensive warranty or get it straight from the dealer bc I cannot afford the ridiculous markup. But I’m salty because this is a known issue they refuse to address and will not honor that the engine trouble occurred within the power train warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wonder what other large mass production car manufacturers give goodwill dollars to owners who bought their vehicles used from a non-CPO source. GM? Toyota? Ford? Honda? Others?

This isn't meant to diminish the head gasket/cracked block issue at Chrysler. It IS meant to bring expectations down to a reasonable level.

Hopefully enough people who have this issue will report it to NHTSA and maybe even try to get a class-action lawsuit going. This is 2022. Modern engines should not be failing as soon as their warranties expire.
I get it but the engine troubles occurred within the powertrain and I’m only 2k miles over. Saying they won’t give me goodwill extension bc I’m not the original owner and will not address it as a known issue/recall is wrong.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,117 Posts
I get it but the engine troubles occurred within the powertrain and I’m only 2k miles over. Saying they won’t give me goodwill extension bc I’m not the original owner and will not address it as a known issue/recall is wrong.
My comment above was based primarily on the fact that those who purchase from a dealer, especially from a non-Chrysler dealer, usually don't get any hard evidence of the vehicle's maintenance history. There might be records on the Mopar website of any work that was done at the dealer by the original owner, but little afterwards from succeeding owners, especially if the work was not done by Chrysler.

Not sure about your detail of records for your Pacifica, but if it doesn't include evidence of all oil and coolant service that was done, I would not fault Chrysler for denying any goodwill requests for blown head gaskets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fair point. I don’t like the term goodwill though when they will cover up to 60k when the issue started and I’m only 2k over now after going through multiple issues. It’s not like engine troubles started at 62k they happened at 58k.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts