2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Blown head gasket

20K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  slicksnake 
#1 ·
2018 Pacifica Limited blew a head gasket at 64k miles. As the second owner I'm no eligible for the lifetime powertrain warranty, and also as the 2nd owner I'm ineligible for the 60k powertrain warranty. Does anyone know where I can go to find some help with this?

#55 ·
wow - i wish i followed these forums when the van was good (instead of just looking them up when things go south!) 2018 Pacifica, original owner, 67,000 miles (yep just outta warrantee), and got the P0305 cylinder 5 misfire error. Long story short, dealership service said blown head gasket. Actually, you'll want to hear this: Service center says, they'll need an hour to run diag, and look into the P0305 error, but i have to pay for the hour diag no matter what. Okay, fair, i understand. They call back the next day saying, "technician says that the diag is inconclusive; we need another hour". (i mean.. have you read these forums or watched any youTubes on this?) After questioning, I give them another hour. They call back next day saying, "still inconclusive.. we need more time, but we're not going to charge you for any additional hours except for the two". They call back just now saying, "they still not 100% sure, but looks like maybe a blown head gasket. we're gonna need about 13hrs of diag to tear down the engine and inspect gasket and flatness of head". what?! And yes, he said this is just in "diagnostic phase". After that, we move to "repair phase". And how many more hours is that?! What the heck is going on?! You know, i bought Chrysler because i really wanted to believe in them and that the marquee could be something good (like defending American motor, horray!) But this experience is just crazy. To read how many people have the same issue, occur around the same time - i'm just at a real loss here. I'll be $5000 in before they even start the repair! I really appreciate this forum and the OP (btigner12) for their experience. I'll try to connect w/ @ChryslerCares and see what's going on. I love the Pacifica (got 5 friends who all bought based on our recommendation) - but they're gonna all start calling me about this issue soon!!
I’m 2nd owner. I got my 2017 maroon touring model in 2019 with 25k miles on it. It is modified with a wheelchair ramp by Braunability. I’m now at 80k and experienced the same symptoms as others (weak AC, check engine light - cylinder 5 misfire, overheating). I had my Freon recharged, spark plugs replaced, coil packs on 1,3,5 replaced, and inner manifold gasket replaced. It resolved the issues for like 3 days before they all came back. Now I’m being told it’s a blown head gasket and I can either get fitted for a new one for around $4k, or buy a “new” engine with 25k miles on it for around $12k. Blue book value on the van is $12k, but maybe a bit more due to the wheelchair ramp modification. Going to also reach out to @ChryslerCares and even my local news station consumer advocacy group to see if they can help me have Chrysler assist with the cost of the repair or maybe help me get a temporary wheelchair accessible loaner vehicle while I get this sorted out. What a mess!

#57 ·
The comments in this thread trying to some how push the blame for what are becoming ever more frequent incidents of Pacificas with blown head gaskets and trashed engines with 60K- 80K miles on them are horse ****! Every brand of car is bought and sold every day by private buyers and sellers. They don't have this joke of a failure in their engines at such low mileages. The same thing happened to me and I no longer own any Chrysler products, nor would I ever purchase one again. This is going to end in a class action law suit and it will be well deserved.
In this I have no doubt.
So who wants to step up to the plate and get the class action going? It can't be me because neither of our Pacificas have blown head gaskets or cracked blocks. Yet.
It is now 2024 and it appears no one has yet to get the ball rolling on a class-action lawsuit. I wonder why. Is it that no one wants to try? Or maybe lawyers looked into it and declined to take the case. Anyone know?

#61 ·
My 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited has been in the shop for 5 weeks for a warped cylinder head with only 63k miles. I purchased an extended warranty (knowing Dodge/Chrysler vehicles). The warranty company is arguing back and forth with the dealership on how best to fix the vehicle and the mechanical insurance co. has still not approved the repair. I was not sure if they would try to blame the issue on me so I logged in here to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Looks like this issue is quite prevalent.

#58 ·
2017 Pacifica 64k miles driving to work and my check engine light started blinking and the car started shaking. I immediately had it towed to the Chrysler dealership and long story after that because they were saying it was gonna take 3 to 4 weeks for them to do the diagnostic. So I had to contact warranty and get them involved. Just received a call at 9:45 this morning from miracle Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Graniteville South Carolina, and was told that I had the same issues everybody’s reporting on here, the leak and all that nonsense never had any code come up before that never had a leak in my driveway. There was never any signs of damage done or that there was gonna be a problem but the dealership told me it’s gonna cost $5000 before parts and labor, so I am waiting for somebody from Chrysler Care to get back to me because this is a absolute joke

#59 ·
Welcome to the Head Gasket club.

Not sure which of these Chrylser was going for with the name Pacifica:
  • Problematic Automobile Causes Intense Frustration In Customers Across America
  • Pentastar Always Cracks Its Faulty Internal Cylinder Assembly
  • Pay A Crazy Invoice For Incompetent Chrysler Assistance
  • Poorly Assembled Car Is Full In Coolant Anomalies