2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early 2017 Pacifica Touring L, WITHOUT ESS - Start/Stop. Purchased New, Off Dealer Lot, June 2017

The Blue icon for Daytime Running Lights, which is a completely separate icon from the Blue Hi-Beam icon and the Green Headlights icon no longer illuminates. The problem really has me scratching my head mainly because for the record, the dealer tells me there is no such thing as a separate Blue Icon for DRL in 2017 Pacificas.
That's funny because there was one that illuminated for the first 22 months until it extinguished itself. At first, it flickered then went out until the Green icon came on at dusk. The next day it lit up again for several minutes then went dark on cloudless, bright sunshine day, permanently.
I figured the bulb was loose in its socket, or it blew out, or the light switch was faulty and needed to be replaced. The dealer asked me if I wasn't mistaking it for the hi-beam icon. Um, NO. Why would a high beam indicator light up in bright daylight for 22 months when the switch has always been set to "Auto"?

I told him that the icon was located right next to the Green Headlight Icon. EDIT made on 7.2.2020. I was wrong and gave him the wrong location. The indicator is on the tachometer and is the same indicator as the Rear Fog Lights.
At dusk, the Blue Icon would go off while simultaneously the Green Icon on the Speedometer would come on indicating Headlights (and presumably Taillights) had switched over in place of DRL.
Also, on that day the icon went dark permanently in April of 2019, I stopped at the Welcome Center in WV and asked my Lady Friend to go check to see if lights were on knowing I could not do so myself because if you put the Pacifica in Park the DRL goes out. Yes they were on. Why would I make that request of her if I didn't think that because the Blue Icon on the dashboard had gone dark, this could be an indication DRL was not functioning?

The Dealer went and retrieved a 2018 Pacifica Touring L from the lot and brought it over. This took several minutes. Sure enough, there was no Blue icon for DRL. I responded, "this is an '18 and mine is a '17." Then he went and got a 2017 and sure enough no Blue icon for DRL on that one either. I looked him dead in the eyes and said: "I can assure you I'm not crazy. For the first 22 months, since the day it was new and I drove it off this lot, there was a Blue Icon that illuminated to indicate the DRL being on".

Befuddled, I tossed out an idea to him and left thinking maybe a software update was responsible and Chrysler just disabled the function because that Blue icon was causing problems for Chrysler with people mistaking it for a HiBeam indicator and scheduling service calls.

About halfway home I started thinking he might have pulled a fast one and the reason it took several minutes to bring that 2018 over to me is he went into settings and disabled DRL. It would only take a few seconds to repeat the procedure in the 2017. If that's the case, of course, the icon would not illuminate. Now, after several times of going into Settings to engage and disengage the DRL on the off-chance that may somehow remedy the problem, I'm seriously contemplating going to a different dealer to test drive a Pacifica, go into settings, make sure DRL is checked and see if a separate Blue icon for DRL does indeed illuminate or not.

The most mysterious thing about this is nowhere in the manual is a Blue DRL Icon listed or shown. But I know, sure as I'm sitting here there indeed is one.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the remedy?
Lastly, for my own sanity, could you please let me know if you have a Blue icon illuminate right next to the Green headlights icon on your Pacifica when the Daytime Running Lights box is checked in Settings, your light switch is set to "Auto" and it is a bright day outside?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,069 Posts
Early 2017 Pacifica Touring L, WITHOUT Auto Start/Stop. Purchased New, Off Dealer Lot, June 2017

The Blue icon for Daytime Running Lights, which is a completely separate icon from the Blue Hi-Beam icon and the Green Headlights icon no longer illuminates. The problem really has me scratching my head mainly because for the record, the dealer tells me there is no such thing as a separate Blue Icon for DRL in 2017 Pacificas.
That's funny because there was one that illuminated for the first 22 months until it extinguished itself. At first, it flickered then went out until the Green icon came on at dusk. The next day it lit up again for several minutes then went dark on cloudless, bright sunshine day, permanently.
I figured the bulb was loose in its socket, or it blew out, or the light switch was faulty and needed to be replaced. The dealer asked me if I wasn't mistaking it for the hi-beam icon. Um, NO. Why would a high beam indicator light up in bright daylight for 22 months when the switch has always been set to "Auto"?

I told him that the icon was located right next to the Green Headlight Icon. At dusk, the Blue Icon would go off while simultaneously the Green Icon right next to it would come on indicating Headlights (and presumably Taillights) had switched over in place of DRL.
Also, on that day the icon went dark permanently in April of 2019, I stopped at the Welcome Center in WV and asked my Lady Friend to go check to see if lights were on knowing I could not do so myself because if you put the Pacifica in Park the DRL goes out. Yes they were on. Why would I make that request of her if I didn't think that because the Blue Icon on the dashboard had gone dark, this could be an indication DRL was not functioning?

The Dealer went and retrieved a 2018 Pacifica Touring L from the lot and brought it over. This took several minutes. Sure enough, there was no Blue icon for DRL. I responded, "this is an '18 and mine is a '17." Then he went and got a 2017 and sure enough no Blue icon for DRL on that one either. I looked him dead in the eyes and said: "I can assure you I'm not crazy. For the first 22 months, since the day it was new and I drove it off this lot, there was a Blue Icon that illuminated to indicate the DRL being on".

Befuddled, I tossed out an idea to him and left thinking maybe a software update was responsible and Chrysler just disabled the function because that Blue icon was causing problems for Chrysler with people mistaking it for a HiBeam indicator and scheduling service calls.

About halfway home I started thinking he might have pulled a fast one and the reason it took several minutes to bring that 2018 over to me is he went into settings and disabled DRL. It would only take a few seconds to repeat the procedure in the 2017. If that's the case, of course, the icon would not illuminate. Now, after several times of going into setting to engage and disengage the DRL on the off-chance that may somehow remedy the problem, I'm seriously contemplating going to a different dealer to test drive a Pacifica, go into settings, make sure DRL is checked and see if a separate Blue icon for DRL does indeed illuminate or not.

The most mysterious thing about this is nowhere in the manual is a Blue DRL Icon listed or shown. But I know, sure as I'm sitting here there indeed is one.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the remedy?
Lastly, for my own sanity, could you please let me know if you have a Blue icon illuminate right next to the Green headlights icon on your Pacifica when your light switch is set to "Auto" and it is a bright day outside?
I wouldn't worry about the blue light icon that you had not working or vanishing. I doubt if there is a way to make it come back. I have a 2017 Pacifica Touring L, manufacture date Sept 2016, (no ESS - No Auto/Stop Start) and there isn't a separate DRL light icon in the display for my van. I did notice that the high beams are in the same place as the DRL and DRL just get brighter when the headlights are on when high beams are on.

If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date (on edge of driver's door), etc.) in the signature line of the account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you take a picture of your gauge cluster? Usually one can discern the outline of the icons when looking closely. What did the DRL icon look like? I'm assuming it was to the left of the green headlights icon since the turn signal arrow is to its immediate right? This is quite the mystery :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, after further researching, I have found that there are DRL Daytime Running Light Modules & Controller Kits on these vehicles. I'm pretty sure, judging from how the Blue indicator flickered several times before it went out on the day before it went out for good that the problem originates there. I think the problem can only originate from 3 places: In those modules/controllers. In the Lights switch itself. In the sensor on the dashboard.

As for which indicator it was I've concluded it was the same indicator as the "Rear Fog Lights" indicator which I've circled in Red in the attached picture.
While researching I discovered there is an indicator for "Rear Fog Lights". I'm thinking: 'Pacificas have rear fog lights???- Who knew? - How do you turn them on?' Then I discovered that just because the car has front fog lights it does not necessarily mean you have also rear fog lights.
According to the pdf manuals for the 17,18, & 19 Pacifica this indicator lights up Yellow. Then I look at a chart for what this indicator looks like and say: Wait a minute. That is the same indicator as DRL. In none of these manuals, however, does it say this indicator also lights up Blue for DRL.
However - This explains why the Blue indicator would go out if I turned on the fog lights. By default, it is trying to turn that indicator to Yellow. But because there are no Rear Fog Lights it would just turn the indicator off.
So, I would think to self: "There is no fog, I'd rather have DRL than Fog Lights. Shut the fog lights off to get the Blue icon back on." All the while I was thinking, in error, because of that Blue indicator being lit up that the Fog lights turned off the DRL if you turned Fog Lights on in the daytime and the Fog Lights then took over the duty as DRL.

I just got off of the phone with Chrysler Customer Service to arrange for a rental because the repair to hood corrosion that affects the aluminum hood in many Pacificas has been approved and the car is going to be laid up for several days.
When the agent asked if there was anything else I reiterated the problem above. This is the first time I've ever spoken directly to CCS. I reiterated once more that I'm not crazy and did not imagine a Blue DRL indicator, separate from the Hi-Bem indicator, on the dashboard.
She was very friendly and said she would look into this indicator being the same indicator as the Rear Fog Lights indicator lighting up in Blue rather than Yellow, even though there is no mention of it in the manual(s), and get back to me, even if it takes a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't worry about the blue light icon that you had not working or vanishing. I doubt if there is a way to make it come back. I have a 2017 Pacifica Touring L, manufacture date Sept 2016, (no ESS - No Auto/Stop Start) and there isn't a separate DRL light icon in the display for my van. I did notice that the high beams are in the same place as the DRL and DRL just get brighter when the headlights are on when high beams are on.

If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date (on edge of driver's door), etc.) in the signature line of the account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts.

After much research, I've concluded that the indicator is the very same indicator as Rear Fog Lights. It is located on the Tachometer and is circled in Red in the attached picture. It simply lights up in Yellow for RFL or Blue for DRL. Whether the bulb is LED and can change back and forth on its own or there is separate Blue and Yellow bulbs side by side I don't know. The Instrument panel appears to be a sealed unit with no way to simply change a bulb.
This explains why the Blue indicator would go out if I turned on the fog lights. By default, it is trying to turn that indicator either off or to Yellow. But because there are no Rear Fog Lights it would just turn the indicator off.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts