2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Bluetooth / Microphone issues

10K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Frankv357 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, Started a new thread as this Bluetooth issue is unique from previously reported issues. Brought our new (6600 miles) 2018 Touring L in for 1st oil change and a bluetooth connection type issue we've had since day one. Iphone 8 (latest iso) as well as Android will easily pair up and dial a call with no issues. Problem is our voice on the outgoing call is horrible, garbled and dropping out, like the microphone in the visor is failing or shorting out. The incoming call quality is fine over the speaker. Basically they can't hear me? Same result if you use the USB wire and CarPlay (Iphone). Tech was able to easily replicate the issue (thank god) so it was not user error or some phone incompatibility nonsense. Dealer updated all the vehicle software and reset UConnect, also did 2 recalls too. Same condition, no change. I suggested the dealer replace the visor mic but they said the vehicle has multiple mics and therefore needs guidance from FCA 1st. They said it is now a Star Case? They will not try anything without the OK from FCA. Does anybody have any suggestions, ideas on how to best move this along or offer me a contact within FCA. IMHO they should have replaced the visor mic and see if that helped. Meanwhile we are still without a safe hands-free way to make calls in the vehicle. BTW, Our phones work fine in our 2014 Durango Citadel via bluetooth. They gave the vehicle back and said sorry, we don't know how to fix it? Unfortunately this is the best dealership in town so we are kinda stuck. Trying to avoid multiple trips and wasted time back to dealer to fix what I think should have been an easy repair. On a good note, this is the only issue we had with the vehicle so far!!

Thanks
Frank

See less See more
#2 ·
Update,
Called Chrysler Care and dealership to check on status of the STAR case.....................and...................... .....nada, nothing, zilch.........crickets.
IMHO, I believe this is hardware related since everything works up to the point of actually transmitting my outgoing voice properly. We tried 2 different iPhones from us. FYI, the technician was able to duplicate my exact concern with his iPhone so I believe that should be proof it wasn't user set up error or our specific iPhones. I suppose he could pair his phone to a demo and make a call for additional evidence it's not the phone but rather some vehicle hardware. BTW, My phone works perfect on our 2014 Durango with almost the exact same Uconnect system. I think they just don't know what to replace 1st: mics (we have a bunch), Bluetooth transmitter, radio, wires........etc. Will advise when they decide how to proceed.

Have a great weekend.

#3 ·
Having worked in the computer industry, I can understand why they aren’t throwing parts at it. This is because if you do not correct the problem by throwing parts, then you could induce other problems. Also consider that this issue, although very annoying ( this would be very annoying to me) they may have much higher priority issues than yours. You are out using your phone. Someone else may not be able to drive their car.

Just for grins, have you tried to play music through your phone to the uconnect interface? Does the music sound like crap? If so it might be your radio. I believe music goes over the bluetooth interface, BUT I could be all wet on this guess.

Hope your issue is corrected soon.

#4 ·
Have you tried to pair somebody else phone to the unit and see if the outcome was the same ?. Electronics are a funny thing and my 2017 SRT grand Cherokee wouldn't download my contacts but my 16 did no probs. My 2018 limited Pacifica hybrid has been flawless so far .

#5 ·
Yes, we are able to pair up many different phones and all have the same issue with outgoing sound (mic) issues. We can stream music and apps flawlessly via bluetooth n CarPlay as well. I think we have narrowed down the problem to a few items. I thought the service dept. should have done more instead of me doing all the leg work. Imho, Hands-free calling is a very important amenity and shouldn’t take weeks to diagnose. I do appreciate all suggestions and have been patient while still getting no updates. Will update when something happens.

#6 ·
No the dealer didn’t try to swap anything as far as I know. They simply said we don’t know where to start and started a star case. Was informed that there several mics through-out the vehicle which I thought were actually in the ceiling ( I called them visor mics) so maybe there is one in there too, will ask them about that. Thanks. They are getting sick of me calling but too bad.

#7 ·
I think the mics are in headliner. Has the dealer removed the headliner to see if the mic is bad or the wires have been pinched?. Some dealers are better than others and they promise so much when buying the car but deliver minimal results once the ink has dried and the keys are in your hands.

#8 ·
Good news, after Chrysler Cares got involved, thanks forum!!!, dealer was able to get a response from Star Case engineers and was told to replace both ceiling mics. All fixed, my outgoing voice is now clear and loud. Took awhile but all is good. Thanks to all who chimed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.