2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while leaving from a stop, our PacHy suddenly stopped and the gas engine revved way beyond anything I had ever experienced before. Awful grinding noises were also heard. I promptly shifted to Park and turned off the car, which wouldn't turn off (but at least the engine stopped.)

It turns out _both_ front axle joints (just next to the wheels) snapped. One of them appears "cleanly" cut while the other is truly shattered. (or is it CV joints? I'm not a mechanic, plus I'm not 100% sure this is the correct translation to the french word "cardan". I'm in QC, Canada.)

While the mechanics themselves have never seen something like this, the Tech Line at Chrysler assured them this had happened to others before.

It's not clear how frequent this is, nor what is the root cause, but I've seen a handful of other instances on this forum on non-hybrid Pacificas.

Earlier this spring, I had another issue where I would hear clicks while turning. That issue was gone after the dealer cleaned up deposits, but I've seen in some posts about axle issues that they had also heard such clicks, and it might be related to a failing axle.

We're now waiting on the parts, but I'd really like to know the depths of that story and what in blazes is up with those failing front axles.

Can someone shed some light on this story?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A couple months ago our drivers side CV axle broke as my wife started a left turn at a traffic light. Rush hour of course. She blocked traffic until the wrecker showed up. Police came and directed traffic while the wrecker driver loaded. I assumed it was tranny after the wrecker driver said he could roll our van while in park. It took two days to fix.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here are two Pacifica recalls 18V493000, 18V492000 I definitely had 18V493000

July 26, 2018 NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V493000
Axle Shaft May Disengage Causing Loss of Drive
If the axle shaft disengages from the CV joint, the vehicle will have a loss of drive or allow the vehicle to move while in the "Park" position. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V493000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 61
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2018 Chrysler Pacifica vehicles. The front axle halfshafts may have been incorrectly assembled, preventing the shaft from being properly secured to the constant-velocity (CV) joint

July 26, 2018 NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V492000
Loss of Drive from Incomplete Transmission Weld
If the transmission weld fails, the vehicle will stop moving, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V492000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components POWER TRAIN
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2019 Jeep Cherokee vehicles and 2018 Chrysler Pacifica non-hybrid vehicles. A component in the transmission may not have been welded properly, possibly causing the transmission to not transmit engine power to the wheels.

Reactions: snorth and GoWFO

·
Registered
42 Posts
Last week while leaving from a stop, our PacHy suddenly stopped and the gas engine revved way beyond anything I had ever experienced before. Awful grinding noises were also heard. I promptly shifted to Park and turned off the car, which wouldn't turn off (but at least the engine stopped.)

It turns out _both_ front axle joints (just next to the wheels) snapped. One of them appears "cleanly" cut while the other is truly shattered. (or is it CV joints? I'm not a mechanic, plus I'm not 100% sure this is the correct translation to the french word "cardan". I'm in QC, Canada.)

While the mechanics themselves have never seen something like this, the Tech Line at Chrysler assured them this had happened to others before.

It's not clear how frequent this is, nor what is the root cause, but I've seen a handful of other instances on this forum on non-hybrid Pacificas.

Earlier this spring, I had another issue where I would hear clicks while turning. That issue was gone after the dealer cleaned up deposits, but I've seen in some posts about axle issues that they had also heard such clicks, and it might be related to a failing axle.

We're now waiting on the parts, but I'd really like to know the depths of that story and what in blazes is up with those failing front axles.

Thanks in advance.
I own a 2017 Pacifica Limited that had the left axle fail then after the van being in the shop for a few weeks, a week after I picked it up, the right axle failed. Before the axles failed I noticed a creaking/clicking sound when turning the steering wheel at slow speeds and when parked. I still continue to have front end issues. When I looked online about the clicking sound I found various responses that its a sign of a failing axle. The dealer didn't think so, lubed it on numerous visits, did a TSB for the bearings, then the next thing you know I hear a horrible grinding sound, I thought the transmission failed. I pulled over, put the car in park, and it started rolling back. I have been dealing with Chrysler Escalation for the past year because I want them to replace mine. I just posted a long story of my experience. The Regional Tech told me my axles failed because I put 22 inch wheels on my Pacifica, even though I got the idea from the head of Chrysler SRT program that did that to his and even has a video on youtube that you can find called "Project Venessa". I reached out to him to ask him the exact specifics of the set up and he provided them to me. After I was told by the Regional Tech that the axles failed because of my wheels, I reached out again to the SRT guy and not only did he not respond, he put a disclaimer on his video. So lame! Now we find, that the Pacifica has a problems with their front axles and it has nothing to do with the upgraded wheels, but everything to do with a poorly manufactured faulty product. Nice of them to try to blame me. At the time, I removed my wheels and still have problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Thanks in advance.
My front left axle snapped at the wheel on 10/2/18. Click here for detail. This is a different issue than the CV separation. I didn't notice any warning symptoms or sounds. When I made my post I couldn't find many other reports of snapped axles. Now I'm beginning to wonder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got updates on my issue:
It appears that a pin inside the transmission hadn't been properly secured and fell off, which triggered the chain of events that led to the double breakage.
After the dealer replaced the axles, road tests they performed highlighted odd sounds coming from the transmission, which is when they discovered the runaway pin.
Like RAC, the axles snapped at the wheel(s).

We also had cracking sounds when turning at low speed with high turning angles (e.g. when parking), but that issue disappeared after the dealer cleaned the wheel knuckle (or something like that) where deposits had accumulated.

For reference, my PacHy is a 2017, Platinum trim.

Our case got back on track after we called Chrysler Customer Support. Our dealer had been on hold by Chrysler Tech Line for weeks, and it looks like Tech Line was also waiting on the dealer. Now they're talking to each other again, and dealer finally got the greenlight to replace the transmission.

44 days, and there's still no ETA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts